PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

25th Anniversary of the Fog Bowl

**** the ****ing Exit 16-W Vagiants! **** that ENTIRE ****ing organization to Hell!

And I also LOVE your description of Mercury Morris… **** him too!
I don't normally cheer for a team to perform poorly, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the fact that both New Jersey teams have been complete dumpster fires for the last five years.

They have combined to inflict a total of 116 losses on their fans during that time (118 after Sunday), with equally incompetent records of 22-58 - for an embarrassing won-loss percentage of .275, an average of 12 losses per team, per year.

Only once in ten tries did either of the Jersey Landfills avoid double-digit losses (barely, going 7-9), and over that period of time they have allowed 1,181 more points than they have scored - with the Jets at an appropriate number of negative 666.

This was the beginning of the patriots dominance of the squeelers

Not exactly....we would lose to the Kordell Stewart Steelers on two occasions after that before beating them every time except for 04' and 18'.

One was the hard 7-6 playoff loss where Bruce Armstrong just let Mike Vrabel sack Bledsoe to end the game....and also where Todd Collins never ran Kordell out of bounds on the lone TD they scored that day....

Then another was a regular season game in which Kordell threw the winning TD with INCHES to spare.....

But...it's all good!!! LOL!

What cracks me up about this is that it was a divisional round game, and here we are still a couple days away from the end of the regular season....

1985 awesome awesome awesome uniforms

Great memories peering down from section 317 through the fog and smoke from pre-game pyrotechnics in the realization that my dreams of these guys competing with the big boys was becoming a reality as Glenn hauled in the bomb. Dreams of Bledsoe, Martin and Glenn dominating for years. Those were glorious halcyon days as the Patriots rose from the ashes of the humorous if pathetic years at Harvard stadium and Nickerson Field. We felt we were witnessing the beginning of something great. And we were, even if it wasn’t what we imagined. It has been been so much more than I dared to dream. Still have my Glenn jersey.
Absolutely right

Pre-game, we had a big sign that said "She can play", right near the tunnel where they came out. Kraft came over and signed it. He said "you guys are gonna get me in trouble!" Terry saw it, but didn't come over to us to say anything. He caught that pass and we were going nuts, holding up this huge sheet. He looked up at us and gave us the first down salute and all my buddies at home went "OMFG he sees them". The next morning there was a picture of us in the Herald. I have it on the wall in the basement. Good times.
Great !!! Simply great

One was the hard 7-6 playoff loss where Bruce Armstrong just let Mike Vrabel sack Bledsoe to end the game....and also where Todd Collins never ran Kordell out of bounds on the lone TD they scored that day....
I still remember too that loss...at that time it was devastating...that sack was a REAL killer

Last edited:
I was at the fog game. Couldn't see the pass to Glenn at all from sec 223. There was alot of not seeing much and just reacting to whatever the crowd did that day. Wasn't this the first home playoff in a long freaking time? I'm mid 40s and started watching in the early 80s....85 was all road games, 86 was a loss at denver iirc, and then they didn't go back till 94, which was a loss at cleveland....and then we have 96 and this pittsburgh game....so i think i'm correct...that's hard to believe...

edit: 78 at home vs Houston...wow, Pats got blown off the field that day at home - yikes

I was at the fog game. Couldn't see the pass to Glenn at all from sec 223. There was alot of not seeing much and just reacting to whatever the crowd did that day. Wasn't this the first home playoff in a long freaking time? I'm mid 40s and started watching in the early 80s....85 was all road games, 86 was a loss at denver iirc, and then they didn't go back till 94, which was a loss at cleveland....and then we have 96 and this pittsburgh game....so i think i'm correct...that's hard to believe...

edit: 78 at home vs Houston...wow, Pats got blown off the field that day at home - yikes

Yep, Chuck Fairbanks’ last game for the Pats… But he laid the foundation for what would eventually become the team’s first AFL/C championship in 1985…

I was stationed in England for the 96 season. Got to watch the Pitt playoff game with a real Pittsburgh fan. He took his lumps - and prayed that "Slash" would not return.

78 at home vs Houston...wow, Pats got blown off the field that day at home - yikes

I was there. It was such an incredibly bad vibe, I don't know if I can accurately describe it. The week leading up was bad, the whole aura in the parking lot tailgating was worse - and even before the game began there was just this impending doom, on a cold, crappy, cloudy day. Zero joy, no excitement. Just anger and bitterness throughout the whole stadium at the inevitable outcome, towards the Sullivans as well as Fairbanks.

And all that was before the game even started.

Never felt anything like that before or since, it was really weird.

first ever playoff game i ever went to...

remember sitting in section 12, 6 rows up... couldnt see but half the field, for the most part... awesome day, even better game.

I was there too. We drove for three hours from Maine...it was a long time ago and my memory might not be accurate, but I thought I remember it being a somewhat normal day in most of the region but totally blanketed with fog as we approached.

We sat up quite high, and it was so hard to see the game...the Steelers bright yellow was the biggest indicator of a player in the area...lol. I remember the Curtis Martin run though....saw him take the ball and start to get to the next level and then just absolute chaos in the stadium, as everyone erupted but probably like 10% of the people could see it clearly. Man, what a fun game that was. The best part was the day before, Jacksonville knocking off Denver, and feeling like the Patriots had an actual shot to make it to the SB.

I was stationed in England for the 96 season. Got to watch the Pitt playoff game with a real Pittsburgh fan. He took his lumps - and prayed that "Slash" would not return.

Were you stationed at an RAF base? I used one of them on a MAC flight from the US for a cousin’s wedding in Birmingham; Mildenhall I believe the name of it was…

Were you stationed at an RAF base? I used one of them on a MAC flight from the US for a cousin’s wedding in Birmingham; Mildenhall I believe the name of it was…

You got it ... RAF Mildenhall ... 1996 - 2001

edit: MAC - I remember them. Shows our age :evil: . For those who don't know - the Military Airlift Command was "rebranded" to the Air Mobility Command on June 1st, 1992.

You got it ... RAF Mildenhall ... 1996 - 2001

edit: MAC - I remember them. Shows our age :evil: . For those who don't know - the Military Airlift Command was "rebranded" to the Air Mobility Command on June 1st, 1992.

Didn’t know about the change from MAC to AMC… I took that flight in the spring of 1981(!) so I’m Really showing my age… The thing I remember most about the place was that there was a Snooker table in the Rec center where I crashed on Sunday night after my flight arrived… For those who’ve never seen one a snooker table is about the size of 1-1/2 billiard tables…

Didn’t know about the change from MAC to AMC… I took that flight in the spring of 1981(!) so I’m Really showing my age… The thing I remember most about the place was that there was a Snooker table in the Rec center where I crashed on Sunday night after my flight arrived… For those who’ve never seen one a snooker table is about the size of 1-1/2 billiard tables…

It's a lot of green when your shooting end to end.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back