SOURCE:Patriots.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Eagles
Sun
Nov 17th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Tough Result
The Ravens made a couple of key plays and handed the Patriots their first loss of the 2019 season.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

It's been almost a week, anyone having issues?

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by Ian, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goheels22002

goheels22002 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,648
    Whatever you do with the next couple of years, Ian, make sure your #1 priority is to teach your kid to be a left-handed relief pitcher or a shutdown cornerback so you don't have to worry about money and can stay focused on patsfans.com

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,144
    I'll endorse this. I'd prefer "Like" or "Agree" -- positive reactions -- only. I think that restricting the options to encouragement (or silence) will help the board stay constructive and good-humoured. If people want to disagree or challenge the tone of a comment, experience suggests that they will.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20,677
    Disagree. I think we need either a thumbs down OR disagree.
    Agree that we do not need new multiple ways to disagree. Keep it direct and to the point.
    Eliminate Dumb. While apropos to some threads/posts, it's more insulting than Disagree or Thumbs Down.
    Replace it with "Wicked Pissah" After all, this is a New England Forum.

• Like Like x 2
  4. bresna

bresna PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,186
    All of the forums I visit have a way to identify threads (topics) that have had new replies since my last visit. In this forum, that appears to be bold type in the thread name. Unfortunately, the font doesn't "un-bold" unless I actually read it. So I come back here days later and I can go through 5 pages of threads and they're all bolded as if they have new replies when in actuality, they are just unread.

Could you have so that it marks all of the topics as "read" after we leave the forum? That way, when I come back and want to see what's new, I can read the bolded ones.

5. raduray

raduray PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,098
    I think there's too much wasted white space on short posts. You have to do a lot of scrolling to get to the next post. I realize that's somewhat driven by the user property items on the left, but are they really necessary? I think the jersey number could easily be sacrificed if that would result in a tighter presentation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,255
    Nearly all for the good. My only issues have been voiced by others:
    The acres of white space and the size of "My Jersey" are the main ones.
    Confusing array of options to "evaluate" another post.
    On the latter, I mentioned to you earlier that I don't like the idea of "negative scoring," which was present but dropped from the board years ago; if you don't like what someone says, you should have to come out and state it in public and not have the option of dinging a poster for an unstated reason. The real problem, IMO, with that practice is that it moves the focus away from a view on a particular post and becomes part of a poster's "personal" score; the ability to "ignore" a poster to whom one doesn't want to pay attention seems sufficient to me. But, this is the age of immediate, anonymous and unaccountable internet feedback, so I guess I just have to live with it.
    Thanks again for all you do, Ian!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. dales804

dales804 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,609
    I could be wrong but the little blue circle to the left of the thread title is indicative of unread posts. When you've read the posts in that thread the circle goes away. And the thread title does go from bold to standard text for me when I'm done reading a thread. I used to have an issue with the old forum where I would read a bunch of posts, come back and they would show as unread. It hasn't happened since the upgrade, however.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,255
    From Mike the Brit above: "I'll endorse this. I'd prefer "Like" or "Agree" -- positive reactions -- only. I think that restricting the options to encouragement (or silence) will help the board stay constructive and good-humoured. If people want to disagree or challenge the tone of a comment, experience suggests that they will."

I agree. We had a similar function years ago and got rid of it because it had lowered the tone of the board and given rise to a lot of abuse; people would go on a vendetta against others and ding them constantly, making the whole thing meaningless anyway.

More importantly, if we disagree with someone, we should have to come out and say it in the open. Allowing for insults like "dumb" (I'll compare my IQ point-for-point with anyone's, so I'm not being defensive there) or "bad spelling" (personally, I'm a stickler for spelling and would ding a lot of posts...but why? The fact that I can spell properly in three different languages doesn't make me any better than someone who is unable or too careless to spell well. Also, many people type in a hurry on a small keyboard and don't have time to correct errors). All of this just encourages bad manners for no good purpose.

On the other hand, I'd probably view getting dinged by some posters as a badge of honor... :)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  9. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Ratings:
    +8,419
    Just cut the ratings down a bit and removed a bunch of them, that should condense things a bit.

Also, regarding the read vs unread, I also believe that's what the blue dot is for and when you click on it, it takes you to the latest unread posts. Try that and see if that functions the way you're looking for it to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20,677
    With this new forum I can now type ****tail!

Free, free at last, Ian!

Mr Wu would love it here!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,471
    So, you want to ignore the defense and help the offense early..

Sua-Filo doesn't have good leg explosion as shown by his poor vertical and below average broad jump. I'd much rather have Bitonio over Sua-Filo. Also, the Pats need to add a DT and/or LB early in the draft.

12. Ian

Ratings:
    +8,419
    LOL, we're not talking draft in this thread :D

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. Ivan

Ivan Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +24,036
    Oh really? And who are you to say what we can and can't discuss at Patsfans?

Man, talk about acting like you own the place?

Geesh.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ian

Ratings:
    +8,419
    LOL, I miss the "beating coming" icon I had at the old board. I'll have to dig that out and re-install it here. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. SalemPats

SalemPats Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,002
    I'm not sure if we can do this. But if we delete the my jersey there will be less of a space between posts because the reply will be a smaller box

16. 1960Pats

1960Pats PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11,413
    Maybe I can help. I once played the part of a psychiatrist in an aol chat room.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ian

Ratings:
    +8,419
    Yes...I'm aware people absolutely hate the jersey thing and that the white space is driving them bananas. I'll be fixing that so that for people who don't want it, there will be something less conspicuous in its place to shorten the amount of space beneath it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. borg

borg PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,535
    I appreciate all the hard work it took to remodel the site so thanks for your devotion. I guess the intent is to let each author be a little more creative and add their personal touch. Great. My issue with this new board is that I can fit only 2 messages at most on the screen....and most of the space is empty except the borders with those "nifty" jerseys. Personally, I have no desire to view empty space ....give me messages/posts where I don't have to scroll and scroll and scroll. Maybe I'm old school but I always prefer a less is more, simple approach.

Can we eliminate the left column stats and jersey and condense this experience?
    Also, is their a link available to Miguel's cap page?

Edit: just saw the post above this addressing my issue. Sorry for the redundancy.

19. Ian

Ratings:
    +8,419
    I added a thin bar for those who want to disable their jersey, which will shorten it. I'll be removing it completely from mobile.

I also removed two fields from the stats bar, which also reduced it. Hopefully that helps a little. Although this was a surprising reminder that almost no one has a signature here, because that space is taken up by those who have one.

Miguel's link will also be added soon to the nav bar as well :D

20. dales804

dales804 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,609
    Speaking of signatures, @Ian, I certainly appreciate that there is an ability to disable viewing them. I don't know if it was there in the previous forum but I noticed it right away here and took advantage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.