PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's been 10 years. Time for another run at 19-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Now that we've all had a full decade to recover, I think it's time for the Pats to try and make Don Shula crap his pants again (if he isn't already at that stage of his life). Whether the Pats re-sign Hightower and keep Butler or not, they're going to be a real badass team in 2017.

Depends on how it happens.

If it's organically and they still sit or rest their key players to get ready for the playoffs then fine but if they try to get it although there are a few players that could use the rest although they already have the first round bye locked up then no.

Could care less about Shula's bowel habits, he probably already is in "Depends" anyways. Building a team for the Tournament is what all of this is all about..

Now that we've all had a full decade to recover, I think it's time for the Pats to try and make Don Shula crap his pants again (if he isn't already at that stage of his life). Whether the Pats re-sign Hightower and keep Butler or not, they're going to be a real badass team in 2017.

The OL, with another year of development with Scarneccia, should be improved. Brady is still Brady. Gronk hopefully will be healthy. Allen is a really good second TE. Another year of improvement from Mitchell at WR. Brandin Cooks is electric. Lewis will be healthy. James White gets another year to improve.

The offense should be absolutely unbelievable. It's all about health. If they stay relatively healthy, this offense could score 35+ a game, without question.

Then the defense... If Hightower re-signs and they keep Butler, the defense is vastly improved. Ryan was solid for them last year. But Gilmore is a much better player. Between him and Butler, they will have two of the very best corners in all of football. And Rowe gets to play the big receivers, and he does a pretty darned good job at that. The three top safeties are all back.

Ealy replaces Sheard. Branch is back. Another year of development for Brown and Flowers. Plus whatever else they have coming in the draft.

This may end up being - if Hightower and Butler stay - the best defense this team has fielded in...forever. Even better than last year's.

Holy smokes this team, if it stays relatively healthy, is going to be unbelievably good.

couldn't care less about 19-0, it's about championships..boy some are spoiled

Could care less about Shula's bowel habits, he probably already is in "Depends" anyways. Building a team for the Tournament is what all of this is all about..

Okay, I get it, you folks don't want to be let down again or you think it makes it more difficult if they keep winning. I don't. Of course I'll be happy just to make another run at a SB title, but going undefeated is the only thing this team hasn't accomplished and I'd like to see them do it. Make hay while the sun shines as they say.

The OL, with another year of development with Scarneccia, should be improved. Brady is still Brady. Gronk hopefully will be healthy. Allen is a really good second TE. Another year of improvement from Mitchell at WR. Brandin Cooks is electric. Lewis will be healthy. James White gets another year to improve.

The offense should be absolutely unbelievable. It's all about health. If they stay relatively healthy, this offense could score 35+ a game, without question.

Then the defense... If Hightower re-signs and they keep Butler, the defense is vastly improved. Ryan was solid for them last year. But Gilmore is a much better player. Between him and Butler, they will have two of the very best corners in all of football. And Rowe gets to play the big receivers, and he does a pretty darned good job at that. The three top safeties are all back.

Ealy replaces Sheard. Branch is back. Another year of development for Brown and Flowers. Plus whatever else they have coming in the draft.

This may end up being - if Hightower and Butler stay - the best defense this team has fielded in...forever. Even better than last year's.

Holy smokes this team, if it stays relatively healthy, is going to be unbelievably good.

Right now we have Tommy LomBrady on borrowed time and it's now or never for a possible undefeated season. Time to make the donuts.

2007 was a once in a generation kind of season. So many things had to go right. It was a "perfect storm"

More realiatic to expect 14-2 or even 15-1... but hey, you never know!!

If Hightower were to re-sign today, we would looking at a roster that really only has 2 holes: a power back and a rotational DE. Those roster spots could be filled with 3rd round picks or with low cost free agents (Burkhead, Guy/Odrick).

As it is, the current WR/TE group is probably better than 2007's, and the secondary is definitely better. The defensive front 7 is not as good as 2007, that group was a lot deeper at least until Colvin's injury.

There will be more work to be done. Butler could be worth a mid 1st round pick, or he could be kept around to form the best secondary in the game. Garoppolo is worth more than a 1st round pick, or he can be insurance in case of Brady injury. Even if both are kept, restructuring Amendola and extending Brady will open the cap room to sign some more depth.

19 - 0? Tall order, but this may be the best equipped team since the '07 Patirots to do it. It would be the ultimate legacy sealer.

After a *fifth* Lombardi won in unbelievable fashion, go for 19-0 with 40yr old Tom Brady? Aw, heck. Sure. Why not? It's all gravy at this point. Unlike 2007, I'd probably chuckle at them coming up short after starting 18-0, just for the surrealness of that kind of title defense and a shot at number 6. They'd deserve a duck boat parade win or lose.

Regards,
Chris

I wouldn't complain, but let's win a game in the regular season first.

After a *fifth* Lombardi won in unbelievable fashion, go for 19-0 with 40yr old Tom Brady? Aw, heck. Sure. Why not? It's all gravy at this point. Unlike 2007, I'd probably chuckle at them coming up short after starting 18-0, just for the surrealness of that kind of title defense and a shot at number 6. They'd deserve a duck boat parade win or lose.

Regards,
Chris

Roger that.

2007 was a once in a generation kind of season. So many things had to go right. It was a "perfect storm"

And only 1 game had to go wrong.

Actually the last 3 regular season games leading into the playoffs were cardiac games, especially the Philly and Ratbird games.

However, I'm more than cool with 6 rings whether it be 12-4, 15-1. But.....if they were to run the table I'd love to have a front seat to immortality for the Patriots undefeated season.

I truly think that if they can lock up Hightower and Butler that this defense is much better designed to run the table than 07.

Also believe some, if not most fans are not over the 07 loss and are afraid to go through that kind of emotional roller coaster again. Personally, the last 2 superbowl wins certainly have softened that loss for me significantly. I'm ready for 6 and if they do happen to put themselves in a position to run the table I'm completely on board.

If we resign ht and dont trade butler, can see a run for sure.

This team was 14-1 with brady last year. Only 3 wins were by single digits iirc. That was w/o gronk for a major chunk.

You would take that team + gronk and cooks, with the key losses being either reasonably replaced or upgraded. That is a team that can def go undefeated.

I would've said no to this the last few years, but now I say what the Hell? We've accomplished everything else you can accomplish, might as well take another stab at it.

I wouldn't complain, but let's win a game in the regular season first.

We can't win a game for a very looonnng time.

The 2017 season has just started and the Pats, normally a quiet team during the early days of each season, are putting together what looks like a powerhouse team for Tommy LomBrady's 40th birthday. That combined with the way the 2016 season finished has me feeling like this again ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes