PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's been 10 years. Time for another run at 19-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two problems with talking 19-0: it requires rare luck to achieve (health of key personnel) and isn't something you can strategize for as a goal. Even thinking about it is counterproductive because the only way it happens is by taking it one game at a time. And in BB's world, that means one practice at a time. Becoming preoccupied with going undefeated interferes with the focus needed to get there.
I'm not saying Bill or Tom is thinking about 19-0 today or that they are loading up for it specifically. Just that if they are undefeated deep into the regular season and reasonably healthy, they will go for 19-0 instead of say.. resting a bunch of key players on Week 17 with #1 seed locked up.

Could not care less about 19-0
The 2016 team was mentally tough, overcoming odds at Denver and through the playoffs (OK Texans were a bye, my bad).
Week after week mental strain starting in November when a team is undefeated takes its toll on players in Jan-Feb. No thanks.
Play each week with the long term goal being a Bye week. Make it so.
It's weird, though. I actually agree that it is more stressful for the team and fans to go for the undefeated season. But at what point will you be rooting for the Pats to lose? Of course never, right?

It's just kind of funny to consider. (Funny-interesting not funny-humorous). And if they actually achieve it we would all be happier that they did it. It's just that the journey would be a little less fun probably because it would be tense.

I'm not saying Bill or Tom is thinking about 19-0 today or that they are loading up for it specifically. Just that if they are undefeated deep into the regular season and reasonably healthy, they will go for 19-0 instead of say.. resting a bunch of key players on Week 17 with #1 seed locked up.
I think it's safe to assume they'll be laser-foused on winning another championship and won't take unnecessary risks to be undefeated en route. If sacrificing the last game in week 17 at 15-0 is what they think is needed, I have no doubt they'd do it without hesitation. Going 19-0 is more a "fan thing" and byproduct of team excellence than a goal to strive for, especially in the NFL.

Really they almost did it the last 2 years.

14-2 last year. If Brady is not suspended easily 15-1. And then the Seattle game came down to the wire.

2015: 10-0 before all the injuries decimated the offense to the point they couldnt even practice and still came a missed XP basically from the Super Bowl:eek:

I think you just hit the nail on the head. No matter how much they load up if they get a couple key injuries they go from unbeatable to beatable. And if the injury bug really hits them hard... you just never know. But as of now if they stay mainly healthy I can imagine at least a 14-2 season. The undefeated season would be unreal and add another cherry to the cake but I don't feel the same way as I did in 2007.

People think a Belichick coached team can't handle the "stress" of being undefeated?

They handled the stress of being down 28-3 in the 3rd quarter of a SB pretty well...
Respect. Many of the players from the 2007 team talked about how difficult it was on them in the end. If culminated in their worst week of practice before the SB. Dealing with a game has to be different than weeks of the kind of pressure and media scrutiny involved with trying to go undefeated.

It's weird, though. I actually agree that it is more stressful for the team and fans to go for the undefeated season. But at what point will you be rooting for the Pats to lose? Of course never, right?

It's just kind of funny to consider. (Funny-interesting not funny-humorous). And if they actually achieve it we would all be happier that they did it. It's just that the journey would be a little less fun probably because it would be tense.

Tense left me when The Butler Did It. Even when they lost down the stretch in 2015 I was still disappointed but relaxed. And then they added the greatest comeback in SB history. Just an incredible chapter in a remarkable journey.

The only Stressful thing in that loss, besides the miraculous Helmet Catch, was the Ref's not calling either "In the Grasp" on Manning or "Offensive Holding" as I believe Seymour was in a strangle hold from behind by a Giant OL as he was trying to get to the QB....I still can't erase that picture from my memory.:mad:

I wouldn't set my hopes on this. It's not even about the Pats, but Football per se. Some days, things don't go your way. Some days the other team is more inspired than our guys.

We were the best team in the NFL in 2016 both in the regular season and Post Season and, as of now, we are better than last year in both offense and defense (If we re-sign HT, tbh). The objective I will aim for is #6

Now that we've all had a full decade to recover, I think it's time for the Pats to try and make Don Shula crap his pants again (if he isn't already at that stage of his life). Whether the Pats re-sign Hightower and keep Butler or not, they're going to be a real badass team in 2017.
F*ck Shula.

We do what we do, the best we can, regardless of anybody else.

Both Tom and BB have stated they try win every game.

It would be refreshingly different this time, when Goodell tries his latest phony conviction and steals another pick, if the owner calls out the bullsh*t from the get go in September, instead of essentially corroborating and encouraging all the libel and slander and derision and ridicule, and then after seven months, tearfully apologizing.

As for the team, well...

You can't win 'em all...
th
...but you can try

Tense left me when The Butler Did It. Even when they lost down the stretch in 2015 I was still disappointed but relaxed. And then they added the greatest comeback in SB history. Just an incredible chapter in a remarkable journey.
So let's say the Pats are 18-0 and they're playing in the Super Bowl against the Giants. No stress, eh?

So let's say the Pats are 18-0 and they're playing in the Super Bowl against the Giants. No stress, eh?

Maybe a little, but I think I'd feel close to the same if the Pats were at 15-3 entering the SB. I'd like to find out though.

Not loosing a game during a season is a meaningless stat, except to appease a few fans..

IMO keeping focused on the "prize" is of higher value.. 6 rings is the greatest value for this team.

In 1972, the Dolphins went 14 & 0... much has changed in the NFL since then. The standard the Pats will have to be judged by as the greatest team since the NFL salary cap was instituted which would imply the "all time" standard as well.. in those 22 years the Pats have gone 225 and 110. With 5 SB's...

This is not what the NFL had in mind when they brought in the salary cap... and why Goodell acts like such a butthole.

Not loosing a game during a season is a meaningless stat, except to appease a few fans..

IMO keeping focused on the "prize" is of higher value.. 6 rings is the greatest value for this team.

In 1972, the Dolphins went 14 & 0... much has changed in the NFL since then. The standard the Pats will have to be judged by as the greatest team since the NFL salary cap was instituted which would imply the "all time" standard as well.. in those 22 years the Pats have gone 225 and 110. With 5 SB's...

This is not what the NFL had in mind when they brought in the salary cap... and why Goodell acts like such a butthole.
That's kind of how I feel. SB's are the important thing. Screw anything else. Whenever 2007 is talked about it will always involve the Giants. The Giants are the champs that season. Like I've said, if they did it, then great. But I'll also gladly take 14-2 and a SB Cucamonga champion.

Last edited:
...14-2 last year. If Brady is not suspended easily 15-1. And then the Seattle game came down to the wire...
I was hoping somebody would mention this.

Folks, we came really, REALLY close to 19-0 this past season. Unbelievable.

Now that we've all had a full decade to recover, I think it's time for the Pats to try and make Don Shula crap his pants again (if he isn't already at that stage of his life). Whether the Pats re-sign Hightower and keep Butler or not, they're going to be a real badass team in 2017.

Judging by the variety of symbols people put on your OP I guess we don't know what to think about it :p

I will start thinking 16-0 if we sign Hightower and get another DE and LB in here as well as keep Butler.

To be 16-0 the Pats need to

#1 Get lucky in a few games in general.
#2 Gronk, Cooks, Edelman, Brady need to be healthy.
#3 Gilmore need to go back to pre-2016 form.
#4 Pass rush needs get to the QB.
#5 The LB next to Hightower can't suck and Hightower needs to stay on the field.

If all those things happen I would say 16-0 is very possible. If those things happen this team will be more equiped to go 19-0 than the 2007 team IMO cause they team had an older D which had let downs and an offense though powerful was very predictable.

I consider the Butler pick the greatest play in Super Bowl history, and that's a ton of championship history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back