PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's been 10 years. Time for another run at 19-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't mean confused in a pointed sense, probably should have phrased differently.

Anyway, actually agree with quite a bit of your other post. The games are a little tighter when the undefeated thing is on the line. The patriots playing a game when they're 12-0 vs 11-1 is more stressful.

I guess it's coming up now, because you never know how a team is going to evolve, but this team is just absolutely loaded on both sides of the ball.
Indeed. If the Pats do it, I'd be ecstatic. I just wouldn't want them entering 18-0 or highest scoring offense or MVP only to endure what we did in 2007. There really hasn't been a good track record lately for teams that score the most or have an MVP QB, etc. I'll root hard for them either way.

Last edited:
The Pats were *this* close to winning in 2006, so they loaded for bear in 2007. The pressure was on to win a title they kind of blew the year prior. Then the string of wins grew. And grew. Then 16-0. Then 18-0. Then Tyree. The pressure to go undefeated wasn't helped by their mission to erase the 2006 finish.

This time around I think it would be different. They are defending champs. There is no unfinished business adding to the pressure.

Regards,
Chris

I think toward the end of the season being 12-0, 13-0, 14-0, 15-0, 16-0 is bad for the teams chances to win it all, the pressure and media coverage gets unbearable toward the end of the season and clearly effects these teams, how many times have we seen it over the past 10-11 years, Green Bay, Indy, Carolina, Pats all were 13-0 at one point and none of them won it.

I'd be just as happy with home field and 12-14 wins.

I wouldn't care as much if it weren't for Shula and his undefeated-in-far-shorter-season record. I want him to see Belichick go 19-0 before he dies.

How about seeing the Patriots doing it the HARD way.....Getting into the playoffs with a 9-7 record and winning the Lombardi?

How would us fans feel then ?? :D

How about seeing the Patriots doing it the HARD way.....Getting into the playoffs with a 9-7 record and winning the Lombardi?

"Four Games to Glory I" doesn't have the same ring as "Three Games to Glory VI".

Regards,
Chris

Defense wins championships. Last month it took both. Really proud of their win and the balance it took.

This isnt 2007, every year is different. However, like mentioned by many, if Hightower and Butler are signed imo this defense is far superior and championship caliber than 07. Doesnt mean it get 19-0 done, just puts us in the discussion every week until they do s*** the bed one week like most teams do at least once a season. For Jets its many times.

Could not care less about 19-0
The 2016 team was mentally tough, overcoming odds at Denver and through the playoffs (OK Texans were a bye, my bad).
Week after week mental strain starting in November when a team is undefeated takes its toll on players in Jan-Feb. No thanks.
Play each week with the long term goal being a Bye week. Make it so.

I think toward the end of the season being 12-0, 13-0, 14-0, 15-0, 16-0 is bad for the teams chances to win it all, the pressure and media coverage gets unbearable toward the end of the season and clearly effects these teams, how many times have we seen it over the past 10-11 years, Green Bay, Indy, Carolina, Pats all were 13-0 at one point and none of them won it.

I'd be just as happy with home field and 12-14 wins.
That's been the point I've been trying to make. But we'll see. This team really is stacked, though.

If Hightower were to re-sign today, we would looking at a roster that really only has 2 holes: a power back and a rotational DE. Those roster spots could be filled with 3rd round picks or with low cost free agents (Burkhead, Guy/Odrick).

As it is, the current WR/TE group is probably better than 2007's, and the secondary is definitely better. The defensive front 7 is not as good as 2007, that group was a lot deeper at least until Colvin's injury.

There will be more work to be done. Butler could be worth a mid 1st round pick, or he could be kept around to form the best secondary in the game. Garoppolo is worth more than a 1st round pick, or he can be insurance in case of Brady injury. Even if both are kept, restructuring Amendola and extending Brady will open the cap room to sign some more depth.

19 - 0? Tall order, but this may be the best equipped team since the '07 Patirots to do it. It would be the ultimate legacy sealer.

You don't think we need to upgrade the middle of the offensive line, especially center? I think that is a huge hole. It wont matter who Brady has for WRs if he spends most of his time on his back or running for his life.

You don't think we need to upgrade the middle of the offensive line, especially center? I think that is a huge hole. It wont matter who Brady has for WRs if he spends most of his time on his back or running for his life.
It's not a "huge hole," Andrews is only 24 and has upside. Plus, he's durable, which is very important at that position calling line signals. The o-line needs depth more than anything.

Could not care less about 19-0
The 2016 team was mentally tough, overcoming odds at Denver and through the playoffs (OK Texans were a bye, my bad).
Week after week mental strain starting in November when a team is undefeated takes its toll on players in Jan-Feb. No thanks.
Play each week with the long term goal being a Bye week. Make it so.
I kind of want 19-0, and I bet you Tom and Bill want it too. The central goal is winning the Super Bowl but if they are sitting at 11/12-0 I think they will go for the perfect season instead of prioritizing rest.

They have the most rings, they are already the G.O.A.T as coach and QB. What's the final most incredible goal they can achieve? The perfect season and a tie for the most Super Bowls as an organization.

They may have won five but there is unfinished business from 18-1 that probably still stings a bit.

Okay, I get it, you folks don't want to be let down again or you think it makes it more difficult if they keep winning. I don't. Of course I'll be happy just to make another run at a SB title, but going undefeated is the only thing this team hasn't accomplished and I'd like to see them do it. Make hay while the sun shines as they say.

That 18-1 season was the most stressful season I have ever endured as a Pats fan.

Going undefeated sounds good in theory, but the reality of the media focus and the haters, combined with the corrupt NFL* having the Pats in their sights for whatever they try to pin on the Pats, makes it less enjoyable than it might be otherwise.

I kind of want 19-0, and I bet you Tom and Bill want it too. The central goal is winning the Super Bowl but if they are sitting at 11/12-0 I think they will go for the perfect season instead of prioritizing rest. They have the most rings, they are already the G.O.A.T as coach and QB. What's the final most incredible goal they can achieve? The perfect season. They may have won five but there is unfinished business from 18-1 that probably still stings a bit.
Two problems with talking 19-0: it requires rare luck to achieve (health of key personnel) and isn't something you can strategize for as a goal. Even thinking about it is counterproductive because the only way it happens is by taking it one game at a time. And in BB's world, that means one practice at a time. Becoming preoccupied with going undefeated interferes with the focus needed to get there.

Nervous for most of the year.

That would be the grand finale. I forgot what number of Lombardi's that would be (8 or 9). The FU tour continues as the Patriots complete the ultimate of an undefeated season and go on to win 3 Superbowls in a row. F' it. When we look back at the most dominant teams over a decade: Celtics, Yankees, and Patriots.

It seems important because we almost did it and only came up short due to some bizarre plays spectacularly going the wrong way. It is added pressure though.

We also had the completely unnecessary added pressure from that bogus article that Tomase imposed on us two days before the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye