PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is WR/TE suddenly a need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HailHydra

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
With the trade of Brandon Cooks and the potential "sadness" of Gronk, could it be that we're spreading ourselves too thin on the offense? Another injury to Edelman or Gronkowski or to an extent Hogan, suddenly means that we have a potentially serious issue among our pass catchers. Combine this with additional problems posed by the absence of a dynamic RB that kept defenses honest in Lewis and an above average LT and a very reliable guy in Amendola. Of course, having everyone healthy vaults this offense to a top 3 level, but our offense seems significantly weaker than it was on paper last year, without penciled in replacements. With that being said, I could honestly see Belichick trying to nab a guy like Ridley or Sutton in the 1st to get the Moss-like element we always wanted Cooks to be.

It was already a need. After Edelman there's no top tier talent among the receivers, and Edelman's an injury risk and getting older. This just made that nerd even more acute. The good news is they're probably okay this year, but they do need to find a young player to start developing.

WR is not a major need. Between Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell, Dorsett, Britt, Patterson and McCarron this team is going to find a decent group of 5. The WR position is in better shape today than it was in 2006, 2013 and 2015, and the Patriots nearly made the Super Bowl in each of those three years.

TE is a major need. I expect Gronk to stay put, but the team needs a viable replacement soon.

I have an alternative to reaching for a WR at #23. What if the Patriots draft a RB like Derrius Guice in this spot? It would give them the first true #1 RB we've had since Corey Dillon, which will take the heat off of the passing game. It would also give the offense a transitional piece to help carry the offense once Brady's decline begins.

Back up/Developmental TE, yes.

WR? Not really....I would be OK with Jules, Mitchell, and Hogan as our top 3 guys with either Dorsett/Britt as the #4.

WR YES
TE YES

Could be Gronks last year. And Jules won't stay healthy.

I could see a random trade for another guy like cooks or just draft. But this team will look veryyy different. Nervous and excited at the same time

Here's my thoughts:

We take Calvin Ridley if he falls to us at 23, or possibly Courtland Sutton. Both could be the Moss-like player we always wanted Cooks to be. And imagine the outrage. 5 years of a top-young WR for 1 year of another top-young WR. I'd love it

Why are people talking about Mitchell like he can be relied upon? Scouts dropped him because his knees were shot and nothing that’s happened the past two years suggests they will ever improve.

Here's my thoughts:

We take Calvin Ridley if he falls to us at 23, or possibly Courtland Sutton. Both could be the Moss-like player we always wanted Cooks to be. And imagine the outrage. 5 years of a top-young WR for 1 year of another top-young WR. I'd love it

This draft has some good WRs (2 of which you mentioned). I don’t see anyone in this draft that will give us moss like production since he was a generational talent. If we draft a guy who gives us 5 years of the cooks production we got for 1 year consider it a win.

No and yes and it's not suddenly, not much has changed urgency wise.

Why are people talking about Mitchell like he can be relied upon? Scouts dropped him because his knees were shot and nothing that’s happened the past two years suggests they will ever improve.
He is among the 7-to-make-5, or really 4-to-make-2.

Edelman, Hogan locks
Patterson- near lock, but role on O limited

Mitchell, Dorsett, Britt, and McCarron, fighting for 2 spots.

Im thinking they are targeting linebackers a veteran trade or move up for a QB like Rosen or Rudolph.

It was already a need. After Edelman there's no top tier talent among the receivers, and Edelman's an injury risk and getting older. This just made that nerd even more acute. The good news is they're probably okay this year, but they do need to find a young player to start developing.

SMH. For being a veteran poster, your memory of this team is lacking. The Patriots went years without "top tier talent" among their Wide Receivers and had some of the toughest offenses to defend against when they had Troy Brown, Deion Branch, David Givens and David Patterson as their WRs.

The Pats have Edelman, Hogan, Britt, Mitchell, Patterson, Dorsett, McCarron and Hollister currently. This idea that they have an ACUTE NEED at WR is just mind boggling.

Patterson, Hogan, Britt, and Dorsett are all UFA after this season.. So, next year it will be a need. Though that can be off-set some if they extend Hogan on a 1 or 2 year deal and Mitchell's knees are finally healthy..

A lot will depend on Mitchell's knees. But that is something we don't know about.

As for this affecting the TE position, I don't think it does at all. And I think it quashes the idea that Gronk is getting traded.

I would say absolutely.

Last year you had Gronk, Jules, Hogan, Mitchell, and DA and added Cooks to that group.

Now Jules is coming off injury and DA is gone so I would see no reason not to be aggressive (either trade or a high pick) to get more skill here.

If we have to move up to get Rudolph I’m gonna be seriously pissed.

Don’t worry, Rudolph ain’t happening. A punter, new field goal kicker, no one on defense and st

Here's my thoughts:

Neither are Moss-like but I get what ur saying.

WR in the 1st is generally a bad idea. You have to special.
Ridley & Sutton are very nice prospects but there's better value day2/day3 imo.

They need a number 3 receiver. If either Edelman or Hogan get hurt (like last year), the pats are screwed.

It’s a long term need, yes.

But for next year... if Gronk and Jules are still on board, then I say that it’s not a huge need for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes