PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this the greatest defense in the 16 game era

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cowboys were averaging 28.6 PPG before they played us and we literally didn't let them score a TD ;)

How much of that was due to the weather? On the flip side I believe some of our offensive woes were due to the weather. I think we beat Dallas no matter what but I do not believe we hold them to 9 points.

2000 Ravens were better.

Hell technically the 2000 Titans were better as well

To the one person that disagreed, the 2000 Ravens had a pretty mediocre offense so they were on the field quite a bit more than the 85 Bears.

2000 Ravens gave up 165 points. 85 Bears gave up 198 with a much better offense

If the Pats give up fewer than 165 points, they are the best in the 16 game era.

Yards are overrated

How much of that was due to the weather? On the flip side I believe some of our offensive woes were due to the weather. I think we beat Dallas no matter what but I do not believe we hold them to 9 points.
I mean, I don't think they fare much better. Garrett was in over his head that game. That FG in the fourth showed us that.

The Cowboys were averaging 28.6 PPG before they played us and we literally didn't let them score a TD ;)
Banned

I think anything under 200 points allowed in a season in this era has got to be considered remarkable. Whether or not it's the "BEST" of course depends on how the postseason plays out. Those 2000 Titans are lost to time and never brought up, but they allowed just 1.6 more points per game than the record holders, then held said record holders to just 134 yards of offense in a playoff game, but lost anyway because of defense and ST scores in an epic battle involving the following coaches: Jeff Fisher, Brian Billick, Marvin Lewis, Rex Ryan, Jack Del Rio, Gregg Williams, Mike Munchak, and Jim Schwartz. Talk about loaded with complicated legacies!

Since the '00 Ravens set this record (Titans also under 200 that year), only the 2002 Bucs have allowed under 200. A Ravens team ('06) and a couple Bears teams ('01, '05) have come within a handful of points, but the last of those was 13 years ago. If NE ended up at 180/190 PA in an era where overall scoring has gone up like 3ppg in the last 20 years, then comparatively that is even more impressive. Whether they're remembered like the 2000 Titans or Ravens depends on what they do in Jan/Feb.

I am more than happy to be proven wrong and I will be the first to admit it if they can hold the Chiefs to 20 points or less.

The Cowboys were ranked the among the best offenses in the league and were held to 9. Are you going to be the first admit that you’re wrong about them only holding mediocre teams to under 20 points? Because, you know, you just wrote you’d admit when you’re wrong, and your statement was proven wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST