PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is there anyway we could sign Newton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Cam’s injury is filled healed and he had 75% of the mobility he had in his best years I think he would be a great option.

The pats could run a lot of read option to help create space for running backs. They could basically use this season as a bridge year where they plan to run Cam into the ground then move on the following year.
I mean is it just me or does running Newton into the ground sound incredibly harsh.

Why would we want a QB that stares at fumbles in winnable SBs with plenty of time left?

Never underestimate the power of positive thinking. If you stare hard enough, and with enough concentration, something good is bound to happen.

The intrigue of Newton:

Passing game weapons are less important for mobile QBs. Check out the passing options on Cam & Lamar’s MVP seasons. You can build a pretty good offense with a mobile QB and average pieces around them. There are other risks including injury.

Thuney-Andrews-Mason with Newton behind them along with a top 5 defense would be an annoying opponent.

Yeah maybe like 3 or 4 years ago. Newton isn't very good and will only get worse from here.

The intrigue of Newton:

Passing game weapons are less important for mobile QBs. Check out the passing options on Cam & Lamar’s MVP seasons. You can build a pretty good offense with a mobile QB and average pieces around them. There are other risks including injury.

Thuney-Andrews-Mason with Newton behind them along with a top 5 defense would be an annoying opponent.
Yup, that’s pretty much the reason to get Newton - you think the Baltimore offense is the way to go and you think Newton is still good at actual QBing (and better than Jackson). Keeping Thuney and adding him to a healthy Mason and Wynn (and hopefully Andrews) is a step in that direction. Still have garbage for TE right now though.
Yeah maybe like 3 or 4 years ago. Newton isn't very good and will only get worse from here.
And this is the issue. I’m leaning more towards your opinion. And let’s just say Newton’s performance in the clutch even when he was at his best leaves something to be desired....

Yup, that’s pretty much the reason to get Newton - you think the Baltimore offense is the way to go and you think Newton is still good at actual QBing (and better than Jackson). Keeping Thuney and adding him to a healthy Mason and Wynn (and hopefully Andrews) is a step in that direction. Still have garbage for TE right now though.

And this is the issue. I’m leaning more towards your opinion. And let’s just say Newton’s performance in the clutch even when he was at his best leaves something to be desired....

You mean that one time in the superbowl where he fumbled the ball then stayed away from it like it was a live grenade?

Last edited:
Brady didn't want to be here. There was NO keeping him.

They made almost no effort to keep him. Belichick must be confident in Stidham. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats do no more than acquire a depth guy at the QB position.

"Is there any way we could sign Newton?"

Sure there's a way. Kraft could suddenly replace Belichick with Lloyd Christmas

tenor.gif

They have no money to spend. So its a hard no.

Imagine this guy in Boston?

20200318_105635.jpg

Ability-wise, Cam had 24 TDs, 13 INTs and 3400 yards in 2018 and is only 30 years old...so I don't think he's cooked per se. However, the amount of money it would take to sign him (if cut) would probably be too much.

The Patriots are going to move up in the draft and take Tua. He will be the starting QB in 2020!

When did you ever hear Bill do anything but talk up someone they were about to play? Meaningless.

He usually has some perfunctory lines he delivers about players but it's rare to see him say "He's the best." And that was, what, a year or two ago, when he beat the Patriots badly? Not his MVP season.

With Foles to Chicago and the Chargers staying pat for Tua, the quarterback market's dry and Newton's going to get cut. He's almost certainly the best option left and he's unlikely to come at a steep price.

They made almost no effort to keep him. Belichick must be confident in Stidham. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats do no more than acquire a depth guy at the QB position.

That strange. I don't recall a single time reading or hearing tom say wanted to stay with the patriots, or come back to the patriots. Not once.

Last offseason he made INTENTIONAL moves to make sure he was a free agent after this last season.

He spent the entire season throwing the rest of the offense under the bus, After a win he COMPLAINED about he didn't have any weapons. AFTER A ****ING WIN.

Brady was gone, he decided he was gone the year before his last season here. the dude was checked out, and his play showed it.

Look at the two guys this offseason that took different approaches

Brees and Brady

Brees on NUMEROUS occasions was see talking about how he wanted to be a saint, and had no interest in leaving.

Brady? Crickets.

You can disagree if you want, and I'll be here waiting for you to provide a sound clip where he says he wants to be a patriot. I know we have sound bites saying kraft wants him back

Is Cam even ALIVE in football terms? Aren't his joints made of crushed Bachman pretzel sticks?

If he's healthy somehow then I'd file him under "sure why not."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots