PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is there anyway we could sign Newton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StockingAnarchyNumber12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I'm usually not the type to make these threads and honestly I'm not very cap space smart so I was curious. Is there any potential way we could sign Newton with our cap space? Reason I ask is because I honestly wouldn't be against Newton as QB in 2020.

My reason: Cam can be a good 1 year signing if BB doesn't think Stidham is ready. Now, I'm not claiming to know what Bill is thinking. I also am not suggesting Cam is our future. I just think its possible, Cam might take a one year prove it deal and Stidham can learn on the bench for one more season.

Opinions? Also, is it possible with cap?

Unless the Chargers make a trade for him in the next day or two, I think the Panthers cut him. Then all bets are off because his minimal playing time in 2019 makes it really easy to use manageable NLTBE incentives that don’t hit the 2020 cap.

Unless the Chargers make a trade for him in the next day or two, I think the Panthers cut him. Then all bets are off because his minimal playing time in 2019 makes it really easy to use manageable NLTBE incentives that don’t hit the 2020 cap.
Plus, Cam has experience. Cam might never be Super Cam again, but I think he can still play good enough to be a good signing IF Stidham Isnt ready. He would provide potential structure for 1 season so Stidham can learn.

Newton is completely cooked. No explosiveness on the ground, arm problems...never could manage the position without being a dual threat anyway.

Newton is completely cooked. No explosiveness on the ground, arm problems...never could manage the position without being a dual threat anyway.
Didn't Newton get surgery?

I thought I heard he did. Could that help his throwing regain form?

I heard the fans at Gillette booing Tom and the O last year. This was Tom Fing Brady! I can see how Newton or the Red Rifle go to NEP and get chased out of town if the O struggles.

Posters here are non stop about Brady's age. Yet, despite his age, Brady looked better than Cam because of his injuries.

Maybe they cut Stidham a break since its only his 2nd year. But he may also have a game where he gets sacked 7 times and never recovers (mentally), who knows.

I'm not expecting much this season that's for sure. It is what it is.

I heard the fans at Gillette booing Tom and the O last year. This was Tom Fing Brady! I can see how Newton or the Red Rifle go to NEP and get chased out of town if the O struggles.

Posters here are non stop about Brady's age. Yet, despite his age, Brady looked better than Cam because of his injuries.

Maybe they cut Stidham a break since its only his 2nd year. But he may also have a game where he gets sacked 7 times and never recovers (mentally), who knows.

I'm not expecting much this season that's for sure. It is what it is.
Because the fanbase is spoiled. Booing Tom after everything he has done is ridiculous. Also, if NE signs Dalton I will likely be very hated on this board after I trash him in every GDT. PleAse, anyone but Dalton!

You know what would be cool..? If Newton comes here and he is required to dress according to the Patriots dress code at press conferences. Maybe that would indicate he was on board with the other disciplines required to win football games...?

Please not Newton. Like others have said he’s cooked. I also don’t think he’d be good in our offence. Let’s see what Stidham is.

Who else would be stoked to hear him yell out “reeeeadddy” before the snap?

I'm usually not the type to make these threads and honestly I'm not very cap space smart so I was curious. Is there any potential way we could sign Newton with our cap space? Reason I ask is because I honestly wouldn't be against Newton as QB in 2020.

My reason: Cam can be a good 1 year signing if BB doesn't think Stidham is ready. Now, I'm not claiming to know what Bill is thinking. I also am not suggesting Cam is our future. I just think its possible, Cam might take a one year prove it deal and Stidham can learn on the bench for one more season.

Opinions? Also, is it possible with cap?
Why the hell would you want to?

You know what would be cool..? If Newton comes here and he is required to dress according to the Patriots dress code at press conferences. Maybe that would indicate he was on board with the other disciplines required to win football games...?
That reminds me of 2004 when the Yankees forced their players not to have facial hair, crew cuts, etc. and played against the scrubby looking Red Sox with beards and long hair that had the greatest come back in baseball history. Good times.

Didn't Newton get surgery?

I thought I heard he did. Could that help his throwing regain form?

He was never an accurate enough passer to be successful without his legs...his completion percentage is just a made up garbage stat from a bunch of worthless check downs. So surgery or no surgery, he's never coming back because he's no longer fast or powerful.

He was never an accurate enough passer to be successful without his legs...his completion percentage is just a made up garbage stat from a bunch of worthless check downs. So surgery or no surgery, he's never coming back because he's no longer fast or powerful.
Who would you sign if Stidham needs 1 more season on the bench?

Give me a better option than Newton IF BB decides Stidham isnt ready. I don't think Newton for one season is that bad.
Newton wasn't a great QB at his best, and he's a shell of his former self now.

You’re going beast mode lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye