PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is there anyway we could sign Newton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's our friend Blake the Snake doing

That one play will define his career. It's been downhill ever since.

And the Patriots defense last year was being compared to these guys... and I was one of them doing the comparing :(

And the Patriots defense last year was being compared to these guys... and I was one of them :(

Eh...I was hesitant to crown them due to the dog food schedule. And there was no Von Miller on our team. But to be fair, the defense was hung out to dry by the offense consistently.

I'm interested in Belichick's behavior because it gives us a strong indication how he feels about the QB situation without Brady.

It is fair to say Belichick made very little effort to get Brady back. I think if he agreed with the overwhelming consensus--that we're screwed without Brady, and are now just any other team--he would have acted differently.

This may not be too different from the Chiefs two years back, when they shipped Alex Smith out to make way for Mahomes. Smith is no Brady, and Stidham is probably no Mahomes, but still.

Understatement of the year.

Are we signing Newton to be the starting QB or backup only? If it's the latter, I am fine with it. We need experience for Stidham. What I don't want is J.S. to be benched after his first terrible series. Or diastrious first game. There will be speed bumps. He needs to experience it all.

Super Doosh.

Pouting on the bench under a towel.

Are we signing Newton to be the starting QB or backup only? If it's the latter, I am fine with it. We need experience for Stidham. What I don't want is J.S. to be benched after his first terrible series. Or diastrious first game. There will be speed bumps. He needs to experience it all.

Or we could just draft a better one to develop instead of pouring all our time and resources into the guy who just happens to be here.

Or we could just draft a better one to develop instead of pouring all our time and resources into the guy who just happens to be here.

I'm all for it. But if it's just Newton and Stidham here, I want to see what the kid is capable of.

I'm usually not the type to make these threads and honestly I'm not very cap space smart so I was curious. Is there any potential way we could sign Newton with our cap space? Reason I ask is because I honestly wouldn't be against Newton as QB in 2020.

My reason: Cam can be a good 1 year signing if BB doesn't think Stidham is ready. Now, I'm not claiming to know what Bill is thinking. I also am not suggesting Cam is our future. I just think its possible, Cam might take a one year prove it deal and Stidham can learn on the bench for one more season.

Opinions? Also, is it possible with cap?
Drugs R bad 4 U, just say no.:cool:

Totally agree. I do not understand the rationale in sitting him down for another year behind a veteran quarterback who, at best, might get the Pats into the playoffs only to lose in the first round. Brady was the fourth quarterback on the 2000 team. He got zero first team snaps in practice. Hell, he probably got few, if any, scout team snaps. And aside from doing fourth quarter mop-up duties in the Hall of Fame game, his pre-season was spent on the sideline. Stidham played QB for much of the 2019 pre-season and did well enough to win the backup job. Furthermore, because Brady was injured much of last year, Stidham often led the first team offense in practice. He is far better prepared to take over the reins at quarterback in his second season than Brady was back in 2001. I'm not saying that he will play better than Brady did, but if he has any future with the team, its time for him to show what he can do. If he fails, the Pats in 2021 will have both the draft capital and cap space to go after another Brady replacement.

What QB prospects are out there for BB to draft this year? Are any of them worth getting?

What QB prospects are out there for BB to draft this year? Are any of them worth getting?

I think Jordan Love has a chance to be great. Mahomes type prospect, but unproven. Otherwise I'm not a fan of the class after Burrow and Tua.

If Belichick decides to sign Newton and starts him over Stidham, I don't know why people would complain. Newton's a former MVP who was, as recently as two years ago, one of the better quarterbacks in the league. Stidham was a 4th round pick who never lived up to his billing in college. He's got tools and he might be good, but we're also not talking about some elite prospect being blocked.

The dude could rejuvenate his career and reputation with the Pats and make a lot of money down the road.

I’m not interested, Newton is toast

If Belichick decides to sign Newton and starts him over Stidham, I don't know why people would complain. Newton's a former MVP who was, as recently as two years ago, one of the better quarterbacks in the league. Stidham was a 4th round pick who never lived up to his billing in college. He's got tools and he might be good, but we're also not talking about some elite prospect being blocked.

If Newton came in and balled out, do you think BB would tag him as our next franchise QB? Or do you think he would still look for a younger option?

I want this to happen so bad.

I want this to happen so bad.

Have you seen Newton play for the last two years? I would be all about it too if we were getting the 2015 Newton, but he ain’t it. And his style of play doesn’t allow for any turn back the clock years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call