PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is there a huge advantage to having Le'Veon Bell's versatile skill set?

Tough to say if he turtled. Let's face it though: Steelers weren't winning that game with prime Bradshaw, Harris, Blont, Swann, Ham, Greene etc.

I never felt that game would be in jeopardy. That includes before the game started.

I dont see how bell would have been a factor either. Unlike other teams he feasted on, our d looked very disciplined and prepared for his hesitation/ dancing behind the line. There was nothing there for him even if he was full strength. Im actually kinda mad he did get hurt now and we didnt have a chance to shut his ass down completely.

Different subject potentially..

Have you seen how much he's wanting to earn, major money for a RB. Which leads me to another thought, would we take him if we had the chance, was just thinking of the mismatches we could create by having him and White on the field at the same time.

P.S This is hypothetical...

Different subject potentially..

Have you seen how much he's wanting to earn, major money for a RB. Which leads me to another thought, would we take him if we had the chance, was just thinking of the mismatches we could create by having him and White on the field at the same time.

P.S This is hypothetical...

Do you mean would we pay him that much? I don't think there's a chance the Patriots would even franchise him for that much.

It depends on the defense he's playing against. Against an aggressive, uphill, one-gapping scheme, his skill set is fine. He can take advantage of over pursuit and get to the second level quickly. Against a patient defense like the Patriots, it's going to be a hindrance.

He turtled. Never convince me otherwise.

Agree completely. He reminded me of Talib against Denver, he absolutely could have continued playing but knew he was going to have a really bad day and called it a season.

I guarantee you if we had originally drafted Bell you wouldn't feel that way. It's kinda like us having Gronk would you rather him or two TE's of Bennetts caliber?? Bell is the Gronk of RB's when he on he's unstoppable but like our Gronk the knock on him is injuries.
The knock on Bell is injuries, the injuries come because of the size of the niche he's carved for himself. There's such a thing as being too versatile, being in the limelight and depended on for too much.

Football puts a lot of wear and tear on a human body. That's only mitigated by putting people in their roles and keeping them there. If someone steps beyond a traditional role, they absorb wear and tear beyond the traditional as well.

If too much of the load is on one pair of shoulders, expect that guy to break down early.

Do you mean would we pay him that much? I don't think there's a chance the Patriots would even franchise him for that much.

I know we wouldn't pay that much for him, he's not even worth the money, considering the back log of issues he has. I was just thinking purely from a skill set would he fit with the patriots. i was just thinking of the different looks we could have with him and white on the field at the same time.

Tough to say if he turtled. Let's face it though: Steelers weren't winning that game with prime Bradshaw, Harris, Blont, Swann, Ham, Greene etc.

I never felt that game would be in jeopardy. That includes before the game started.
Yup, especially not in our neck of the words. Big Ben is not nearly as good on the road as he is at home.

Yup, especially not in our neck of the words. Big Ben is not nearly as good on the road as he is at home.

I hear he's a consummate pro in public restrooms, though.

The advantage exists during the rookie contract. Once these types of players earn max dollars, offsets must be created elsewhere on the roster. Star dependent teams can shine but usually not for long. Depth issues are typically inevitable.
Pittsburg is on the verge of paying 3 offensive stars close to 1/3 of their salary cap.
NE, on the other hand, will fund their 3 Qbs + all RBs + all WRs + all TEs at about the same cost

Last edited:
I think there are a few advantages to having 1 player who can do it all versus having multiple players to fill each role.

1. Saves roster spots.
2. You dont have to substitute in different running backs for different plays (helps especially with fast pace offense/hurry up).
3. It doesnt hint to the defense what the play will be. For example when James White is on the field there is a better chance it will be a pass then when Legarrette Blount is on the field, especially to the running back position.

However, theres also a few advantages to having a comity such as it can help the backs stay fresh, if one goes down its not as devastating, and more than one can be played at a time.

For the reasons above as well as saving about $2m on the cap I would rather have White + Gillislee + Lewis + Burkhead than just Bell.

It's the age old question of centralized responsibility vs distributed responsibility. Both models have value, but distributed responsibility usually wins out in the end because of superior resiliency in adversity.

As long as he doesn't get hurt in the playoffs, he's pretty awesome

Funny how he didn't get hurt until he realized the Pats were not going to let him beat them. He pulled an LT. Straight up.

Of course there is an advantage. Keying on the one dimensional RBs was integral to NY's game plan in the 2010 divisional round loss.

Bell is soft.

in short, NO

I agree in the sense that having a player a shot dynamic as Bell would be amazingly for any NFL team. However : at 12M$ this season, the money couldn't be better spent elsewhere. Vereen. White. They had roles that lead to huge wins. No one will argue either is better than Bell. But the $ worked.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back