PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is that the most tainted sports championship you've witnessed?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

@Ian, could we get a filter that adds an asterisk * to the end of words like Chiefs* or Mahomes*?

• Yes please add a filter like that, I'll donate to make it happen

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • No don't do it

Votes: 27 48.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't need James Bradberry to tell me whether that was a penalty or not. It wasn't.
It was a textbook penalty. Anyone who knows the rules knows that is a valid penalty. You could argue it was ticky tacky. You could argue it wasn't consistent with how the rest of the game was called. You can argue that in that particular situation it should not have been called.

But you cannot argue that the call was there by the book to be made by the ref. It's just a black and white matter. I don't like the call, but it happened and it gave the ref the discretion to call it.

You are being a baby right now.

Two challenges could have gone either way. Both were crazy important plays and the Chiefs lost both. Several times the right tackle false started it wasn't called. 6 total penalties on the eagles and you guys think the fix was in? You guys are getting weak.
I guess the NFL also told Hurts to fumble the ball and for the Eagles to give up that huge run back too. You also could talk about the huge missed PI in the first half that benefitted the Eagles. Thread is embarrassing.

It was a textbook penalty. Anyone who knows the rules knows that is a valid penalty. You could argue it was ticky tacky. You could argue it wasn't consistent with how the rest of the game was called. You can argue that in that particular situation it should not have been called.

But you cannot argue that the call was there by the book to be made by the ref. It's just a black and white matter. I don't like the call, but it happened and it gave the ref the discretion to call it.

Quit gaslighting. It was an outrageous flag to throw and crown a team SB champions with.

It's just...here's how I look at it. How many people would have complained if that flag wasn't thrown? How many people would even have noticed? It didn't even appear to be controversial on the field until the flag came out. It just...wouldn't have been A Thing and it'd be fourth down and the Eagles are getting ready for one final drive. That's why it's so infuriating. That was not a call that needed to be made when the whole idea of watching sports is ENTERTAINMENT. Was that entertaining? To literally end a Super Bowl on a really really borderline call instead of seeing if a young QB can win a game with 1:30 left? No one would have complained if it wasn't made.

It's just...here's how I look at it. How many people would have complained if that flag wasn't thrown? How many people would even have noticed? It didn't even appear to be controversial on the field until the flag came out. It just...wouldn't have been A Thing and it'd be fourth down and the Eagles are getting ready for one final drive. That's why it's so infuriating. That was not a call that needed to be made when the whole idea of watching sports is ENTERTAINMENT. Was that entertaining? To literally end a Super Bowl on a really really borderline call instead of seeing if a young QB can win a game with 1:30 left? No one would have complained if it wasn't made.
Yeah it was a valid call, but it was imo a bad call to make in that situation given how the game was called prior to that point and what it meant and did to the entertainment value of the game. That's my problem with it. However, the idea that it was a fabricated flag that was manufactured to get an outcome is only for clowns like the OP.

BTW while I thought the Chiefs would win, I preferred the Eagles win. So I don't really have a dog in this fight. I dislike both teams.

it was a clear tug of the jersey

People only ever think sports are "fixed" when they don't get the outcome they want. When they do, then all of sudden everything is on the up and up and everyone is just being a crazy conspiracy theorist because they dislike them.

You would think this fanbase would get that after years of people whining about the Patriots. Guess not.

If the NFL is fixed, then it was fixed when the Patriots won all their Super Bowls and you shouldn't care at all about this sport or have any emotional reaction to wins and losses because it's all predetermined nonsense. But clearly people will never behave that way when they get the outcomes they want for the team they like. It's a coping mechanism.
I don't think the NFL is fixed, I think certain referees are compromised for certain games. The idea that it's never happened is crazy.

You can't tell me a referee presented with an opportunity to make a few hundred thousand for a call or two at an important time isn't thinking about it. The world is FULL of bribery and kickbacks. It would be a miracle if the NFL somehow managed to avoid that.

Let's face it...alot of this comes from jealousy. The fact is the Chiefs are dominant and will be so for at least 5-8 more years. Pats are middle of the pack and with Mac Jones skill set are not going to SB any time soon. The ref made a call on a penalty which actually was clearly holding. You can quibble about the timing....but most tainted championship....no.
Give the Chiefs credit, they came up big when they had to.

This is what Raiders fans say about Pats because of Tuck game. Its all about one fan base being jealous of another fan bases Lombardi.

Last edited:
Refs suck. I don't think refs aided us at all during our run and I don't think they aided KC at all. It just.. was good luck and the balls bounced their way.
The refs are just doing the league's bidding. I don't know if they're even bad or not anymore.

Astros 2017 is probably the most tainted, but this has that feel to it like SB47. The NFL wanted an outcome and got it.

Astros isn’t tainted getting signs like that ain’t a big deal getting carried by the refs through the playoffs is another story these fools literally got 6 downs vs Cincinnati

I think the Eagles not getting one single stop prior to that flag had more to do with them losing.

This would make sense if it didn’t take Cincinnati 8 downs to get them off the field 2 weeks ago

Quit gaslighting. It was an outrageous flag to throw and crown a team SB champions with.

Why isn't this person just disagreeing with you, why so dramatic? Look up the definition of the word you keep using here and ask yourself if hysteria is the best way to state your case. Gaslighting, go find a couch to faint on dude

Last edited:

Alright Sherlock Holmes why wasn’t the PI called on browns catch that the refs mysteriously gave the eagles extra time to challenge

There are lots of textbook penalties not called. So being "textbook" is not a high priority whether to make the call or not.

Your list is OK, but which concerns are the most important? Being a textbook penalty? Bring an egregious penalty? Being fair and balanced? Deciding the play on the field or by the refs? What is important and what is not important?

You also forgot to add that if every Super Bowl ended this way people would eventually stop watching. Football is entertainment. Anything that drives viewership away means something is wrong.

those calls last night are the reason i was talking about, with regards to that post "can we root for mahomes now" once again the refs were bending over backwards to give the chiefs second chances.

"oh **** they didn't challenge in time, lets call a ref time out even though philly got a play off, and redo the down... ah nice there is the challenge flag"

"close game, and the eagles just made a huge stop after mahomes overthrew his guy with 2 minutes to go? lets give em a free first down with a call so bad the announcers are going to mention it"

Just super bummed, we had an all time great offensive battle, and it got ruined by two REALLY bad calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes