PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is our defense this good?

Not sure exactly how good it will be but everyone is way to down on the D. There is significant turnover at LB and we lost our CB1 but everywhere else we have continuity and talent and I think people are sleeping on the D a little bit.

Other than Buff the D was really good for the most part last year and the LBs needed the youth movement. 2 rookies and Mitchell should help curb the loss of JC. Mitchell has actually been much better through a week of camp than I thought.

I predict we will be our normal self on D which means top ten in opponent's scoring and if things continue the way they look so far maybe even better.

Is 14-3 and the #1 seed still on the table?

excited will smith GIF

Having Jones back is huge and not playing Bryant will definitely help, but I also think being forced to play Tavai and Langi will be another important factor. Throw in a Carl Davis and Bethel and your looking at about 5 JAGS having to play against Buffalo. I think the defense will be vastly improved this year.
Agreed, I don't see Bryant, Tavai or Langi making the active roster in 2022.

Not sure exactly how good it will be but everyone is way to down on the D. There is significant turnover at LB and we lost our CB1 but everywhere else we have continuity and talent and I think people are sleeping on the D a little bit.
Not everyone... I'm in wait and see mode.

If Jennings, Uche and the rest of the LB'er continue their strong play I have a good feeling assuming health.
Other than Buff the D was really good for the most part last year and the LBs needed the youth movement. 2 rookies and Mitchell should help curb the loss of JC. Mitchell has actually been much better through a week of camp than I thought.

I predict we will be our normal self on D which means top ten in opponent's scoring and if things continue the way they look so far maybe even better.
Nothing is written...

I'll judge both the D and O when they practice against other Teams. I think that is going to be telling.

The defense is much faster overall and the corners are better overall.

The whole Bills punt nonsense is silly, patriots were very banged up in that game and j.c. took the day off
Please explain your basis for the bolded statement. Interested in your take.

Unfortunately Bill disagrees.
We’ll see, somebody has to play special teams. When they cut down to 53 we’ll know for sure.

The defense is much faster overall and the corners are better overall.

The whole Bills punt nonsense is silly, patriots were very banged up in that game and j.c. took the day off
Yeah, zero punts in 8 straight quarters vs the same team is not nonsense, no matter how you slice it.

He (probably) means that while there's a considerable dropoff at CB1, there's also a considerable upgrade over having to play Myles Bryant and Justin Bethel in crucial roles in big games.

I'm more curious to know what he means by JC taking the day off. Seems to imply JC wasn't serious about covering Diggs in the bright lights with the season and a fat contract on the line.

JC Jackson was the number 1 cb, who was not good enough to cover elite wrs, but definitely good enough to be a 1

Patriots have improved slot and safeties as well as team speed overall. They have nobody as good as Jackson, but, Jon Jones can occasionally move outside with Marcus Jones inside...also, Jack Jones may be a starting cb. Miles Bryant and jujuan Williams won't ever ha e to play...bottom of roster improvement still counts.

So far. At least at camp, it seems the loss of Jackson has not been noticed.

JC Jackson was the number 1 cb, who was not good enough to cover elite wrs, but definitely good enough to be a 1

Patriots have improved slot and safeties as well as team speed overall. They have nobody as good as Jackson, but, Jon Jones can occasionally move outside with Marcus Jones inside...also, Jack Jones may be a starting cb. Miles Bryant and jujuan Williams won't ever ha e to play...bottom of roster improvement still counts.

So far. At least at camp, it seems the loss of Jackson has not been noticed.
Not so fast Nun that's why they play the games. Let's see if they can get off the field first it takes time to measure a Defense.

When I saw this tweet earlier today, I mournfully replaced McGrone with Tavai on my 53 spreadsheet.
What is going on with McGrone? I saw that he has not done well in practice. Like everyone else, I was hoping that he would be a contributor to the younger, faster defense this year.

What is going on with McGrone? I saw that he has not done well in practice. Like everyone else, I was hoping that he would be a contributor to the younger, faster defense this year.
The torn ACL was all anybody could talk about, so a lot of people glossed over how he's super inexperienced and also very young. He only played 19 games in the last 4 years, mostly in 2019. Even after being in the NFL for a year, he's younger than all but two rookies (Thornton and Harris) and 2.5 years younger than Jack Jones.

This seems to be a popular take on here for some bizarre reason. But what do Mike Williams, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, DaVante Parker (twice), Stefon Diggs (3 times) D.J. Moore and Amari Cooper all have in common? All of them were held under 100 yards receiving (averaging around 55 yards per game) and they caught a whopping 1 TD COMBINED in a league dominated by passing. Jackson had a league low QB rating when thrown in his direction and only gave up 4 TD's which was among the lowest for a #1 CB and was 2nd in INT's.

Tough crowd for JC.

Last edited:
This seems to be a popular take on here for some bizarre reason. But what do Mike Williams, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, DaVante Parker (twice), Stefon Diggs (3 times) D.J. Moore and Amari Cooper all have in common? All of them were held under 100 yards receiving (averaging around 55 yards per game) and they caught a whopping 1 TD COMBINED in a league dominated by passing. Jackson had a league low QB rating when thrown in his direction and only gave up 4 TD's which was among the lowest for a #1 CB and was 2nd in INT's.

Tough crowd for JC.
What else did those teams do to the patriots defense? I mean Diggs has eaten Jackson's lunch at will

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back