PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is our defense this good?

I think the defense will be better, possibly much better, than people give it credit for right now. People focus on how much the defense fell apart last year and not how good it was before it did. People are saying that the Pats don’t have a #1 CB, but this is the same conversation we were having last year when we found out Gilmore would start the year on the PUP and people considered JC Jackson a very good #2 CB but not physical enough to be an #1. Yes, there are question marks about the LB Corp, but there were last year too.

As for yesterday, who cares? It was one practice and the first padded practice. It doesn’t mean anything.

Also, I am predicting if Josh Uche can stay healthy (which is becoming a big if), he is going to turn heads this year. I think his first two games last year is far closer to what he is than the rest of his injury plagued season.

Obviously it's too early in the process to make these determinations, but I want to cut the @LFGMac10 some slack here: We're all a bunch of addicts, who haven't had a hit in months, suddenly getting a flood of low quality skag and losing our minds. There's not much to do right now but speculate. Otherwise every camp thread would be, "The Patriots practiced football today. Thoughts?"

Or is the offense just that bad? Seems like the O is struggling a bit going straight up against the D. Granted the D pretty much knows what's coming and it's on the players to out execute rather than any real scheme. What do you guys think? We're going to have a shut down defense or a piss poor offense this year...
As others have said I think it's a bit too early to make an assessment however....

I think we are OK on the D-line. Not great but not terrible.
Seems like we have more athleticism and "sticky" DBs in the secondary. Unknown if they are good or if they will even play/make the team.
Off the ball LB is a complete unknown other than Bentley and IMO played way too much last year.

Or is the offense just that bad? Seems like the O is struggling a bit going straight up against the D. Granted the D pretty much knows what's coming and it's on the players to out execute rather than any real scheme. What do you guys think? We're going to have a shut down defense or a piss poor offense this year...

It's hard when it's Pats vs Pats. I mean...Mac throws a TD to Agholor over Butler, say. We can go yay offense looks great, but at the same time, ugh, Butler got burned. Or the D makes a great play to pick off Mac and we go yay defense looks great, but at the same time, ugh, Mac throwing interceptions...

From all accounts the offense is abhorrent and the defense is average at best and bereft of any top tier talent....just like the defense of the last 3 seasons...wash, rinse, repeat. but yes, early camp, so let's not goo nuts. lets wait until after the first preseason game to point and laugh at the three ring circus of Coach Bill, Fat Matt, and Joe Judge...

What’s deeply ironic is that Matt P was overrated as a defensive coordinator but he wasn’t bad. His 2014 and 2016 defenses were really good, mostly because they had talent, and remember that in 28-3 the defense gave up only 21 of those points. So hey not bad. But then Super Bowl 52 happens and it’s pretty much the worst thing ever but both Hightower and far more importantly Jonathan Jones were out for the season and so Patricia was stuck putting guys like Johnson Bademosi and Jordan Richards on the field because Belichick chose to ALSO take away Malcom Butler as well. So really, he was pretty much handed a bag of crap.

So obviously now that he’s back he should be...*checks notes* o-line coach and senior football assistant because if he’s put back on defense it’ll get in the way of Stevie’s career advancement.

Roster wise/On paper, I dont really see how this defense will be anything more than mediocre...at least against good teams/quarterbacks. I do like how theyre trying to at least get quicker at LB, but they sacrificed a lot of experience in doing so. Something that BB usually doesnt like, so itll be interesting. Its sort of a position that is being phased out of the game as well, so that could explain the true lack of interest in going after that position in the offseason. The secondary is a massive question mark. If they truly plan on playing zone primarily, it could be tough to watch

At least the defense is not depending on rookies. Everyone is at least in their 2nd season with the Pats so familiarity should help. Also it seems like a good group of athletic guys with positive attitudes. BB must love the positive and "moldable" attitudes.

Why do you think that Steve Belichick stole Patricia's job?
Because Patricia left to become a head coach? Wouldn't call it steal8ng
As others have said I think it's a bit too early to make an assessment however....

I think we are OK on the D-line. Not great but not terrible.
Seems like we have more athleticism and "sticky" DBs in the secondary. Unknown if they are good or if they will even play/make the team.
Off the ball LB is a complete unknown other than Bentley and IMO played way too much last year.
I'm very interested in how well thr DBs have played 1v1 against our receivers. I'm hoping it's because we will have a fantastic secondary and not because our recievers are underperforming

The defense is concerning. The lack of top CBs is really going to hurt when we play the high flying offenses. I fully expect Bill to work his magic like he did in the middle of last season but I am concerned with his focus on the offense because of Patricia/Judge being newbies will give him less time to focus on the defense.

I do think it is tough to judge anything so early on though. There are only 3 preseason games so not sure how much we will even see the 1s play.

Damn. Was going for some light speculation. But we can close the thread if it makes everyone that negative lol

First time on PatsFans?

Not just PatsFans. Hyper tribalism has put so many on fast triggers that its pretty much impossible to post something with speculative curiosity without it being interpreted and reacted to as a threatening position on something. Or as John Mulaney put it in his very good horse in a hospital bit, "everybody is mad at everybody about everything all the time." Its a damn shame.

Is our defense this good?​

Have they made the Bills punt?
Last year our LB core was old and slow. Obviously BB thinks they were where we got killed. And if I remember correctly we kept getting burned in the slot. Which would fall on them to help defend.

The defense is much faster overall and the corners are better overall.

The whole Bills punt nonsense is silly, patriots were very banged up in that game and j.c. took the day off

The defense is much faster overall and the corners are better overall.

The whole Bills punt nonsense is silly, patriots were very banged up in that game and j.c. took the day off
Jon Jones missing also hurt their speed in the middle of the field bad...

Myles Bryant not being the answer is why they drafted two slot CB's this offseason.

Jon Jones missing also hurt their speed in the middle of the field bad...

Myles Bryant not being the answer is why they drafted two slot CB's this offseason.
Having Jones back is huge and not playing Bryant will definitely help, but I also think being forced to play Tavai and Langi was another important factor. Throw in a Carl Davis and Bethel and your looking at about 5 JAGS having to play against Buffalo. I think the defense will be vastly improved this year.

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back