PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Newhouse really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to, once again, show that it's not a bunch of mean ol' Patsfans.com posters picking on poor Newhouse, let's re-visit the words of Rex Ryan:

"That left tackle [Marshall Newhouse], is that me blocking?" he said. "They have got to get Isaiah Wynn back in a hurry. Wynn better come back. He's a legitimate talent taken in the first round at left tackle. Right now, that guy [Newhouse], oh my god.

Rex Ryan skewers Patriots offense after it struggled in win over Eagles: 'Tom Brady knows they lack talent'

He is bad, but I've seen much worse. Just watch other games besides ours and everyone would stop bashing a guy off the street so hard. We have basically had above average-elite Lt play most of Brady's career and we aren't use to this. Newhouse is on par with guys like Ocalahan and Kaczur.

He is bad, but I've seen much worse. Just watch other games besides ours and everyone would stop bashing a guy off the street so hard. We have basically had above average-elite Lt play most of Brady's career and we aren't use to this. Newhouse is on par with guys like Ocalahan and Kaczur.

Nick Kaczur wasn't great but neither a turnstile like Newhouse.

Kaczur was better than Newhouse.

In all honestly I thought for his first few games Newhouse was OK actually but hes really been rough these last 3-4 games which is typical for swing/bench OTs. Thats why they are not starters.

781aa751e994839d8d80dd17ec810008.jpg

This is where I stopped reading...

There are hits and there are misses when it comes to BB's drafting and some of those misses are pretty frustrating. But as you well know, given your "soon to be 0-2" statement from last week, you can't always be right.
We have been to the last 3 Super Bowls and won two them.
He must be drafting and signing some good players, no?

I didn't realize Newhouse has relatives posting here.

The Patriots have been behind the 8 ball all year with regard to the offensive line.
First, they lost Waddle to free agency. Then, his veteran replacement retired before training camp began. Their backups in the preseason were so lousy that Belichick
made three trades to replace them. One player he traded for lasted one week. During
cutdown Andrews and Froholdt were placed on IR and shortly after Wynn joined them.

He is a back up in a tough position...good for Brady and our health too Wynn is back...

The sad thing is that the numbers just begin to tell the tale. They don't take into account things like

1. Times play call altered due to player
  2. Times chip block saved a beat
  3. Times Brady rolled away to avoid pressure from start
  4. etc...

It's sad that we're all pretty much forced to pray that a left tackle who's played about 1 game in 2 seasons will be the offense's savior. And I'm sure that really pisses of the atheists even more than it pisses off the rest of us.*

*Yes, the atheist part is just a joke

Kaczur was better than Newhouse.

In all honestly I thought for his first few games Newhouse was OK actually but hes really been rough these last 3-4 games which is typical for swing/bench OTs. Thats why they are not starters.

He's been wiffing blocks all season. And while there's other issues with the Oline Brady's blind side is most problematic imo. If he can't get some sort of mental clock set in his mind things get messy. Get that fixed and I think Brady can compensate for the rest.

Not to overly defend Newhouse, but is anyone watching the rest of the line on this play?

Brady cannot step up into the pocket as Cannon is being beat by Graham and Michel is caught between helping on Graham vs. picking up the free blitzer.

If Brady has a pocket -- he steps up, Newhouse takes his guy outside (which he could have here) and nobody remembers Newhouse on this particular play.

If I'm Newhouse ... I quit and tell the fans you play left tackle.

He was signed off the street. I don't know what people expected.

It says something that he's the guy Belichick dresses and puts out there, knowing what he is. We've had other OL on this team, waht that tells me is that Newhouse is the least unreliable guy we have.

In other words him constantly getting beat is more of a knock on Belichick than it is on Newhouse. Poor guy is playing over his head and he probably knows it.

BTW I betcha Wynn is gonna be rusty when he gets back in there. That's assuming he doesn't immediately get hurt, again, for the 4th time in a less than 2 year career.

Right now I honestly trust Newhouse more than Wynn. At least you know Newhouse can handle the punishment of being an every day OL. We have less than zero reason to believe that about Wynn.

If I'm Newhouse ... I quit and tell the fans you play left tackle.

If I'm Newhouse .... I'm making a lot more money than the average person posting on a football forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents