PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

is McDermott the biggest whiner in the nfl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This hit shouldn’t be a penalty IMO.

I always thought a QB had a right to slide, which may have been short of his goal but ensures his safety. It should be a two way street. A QB acting as a running back and fighting for yardage while lunging forward with his helmet? I don’t see how that’s a “defenseless player” as opposed to any other player with the ball.

I always thought a QB had a right to slide, which may have been short of his goal but ensures his safety. It should be a two way street. A QB acting as a running back and fighting for yardage while lunging forward with his helmet? I don’t see how that’s a “defenseless player” as opposed to any other player with the ball.
It does go both ways. He is an RB here.

I don't understand how anyone was bent out of shape over that hit. A 6-5 QB, who didn't give himself up, was hit by a 5-11 corner. He didn't hit him high or lead with his head. Between McDermott and the two idiots calling that game I don't know who is the biggest whiner.

I like coaches who whine at refs and nervously yap to their assistant coaches and become deeply emotional toward the players. They expend a lot of emotional energy and lose just that little extra edge to match the brilliance of the Hoody.

If I were Jackson, I would definitely appeal the fine, if it is dumb enough to come.

And I have zero respect for the red headed stepchild.

Welcome to the Pats division.

Allen has every right to fight for the first down on 3rd down, and I feel bad he got concussed.

That said, Jones had every right to prevent Allen from gaining those yards.

Jones never left his feet and Allen was leaning forward at the time of the hit. Both players initiated the contact.

By the letter of the law it was not a penalty (let alone an ejection) because Allen was not a defenseless player.

Had a lot of respect for McDermott coming into today’s game and he managed to throw away all that respect by showing his ignorance of the rules and behaving in a classless manner in the process.

Classic Buffalo

Head to Head, definitely a penalty, ok, but STFU McDermott...also, if Jones doesn't level Allen the QB easily gets first down

No, it's actually not a penalty. The QB wasn't sliding or giving himself up, so in essence he is no different than any other runner and that contact was perfectly legal.

Also, the other personal foul wasn't a penalty. After the lateral the QB becomes a blocker which means they're no longer protected and are fair game to engage / block, which is what KVN did.

The refs f'd them when they did nothing illegal.

Why the penalty on Van Noy against Barkley on the double pass?

Because even officials make mistakes sometimes. :)

The play is more accurately described as Allen leading with his head and hitting Jones.

It’s not clear to my why if the goal is to avoid head hits, offensive players initiating them is fine.

The guy just doesn’t seem to even know the rules, which makes him much more annoying. Like, forward progress is not reviewable since there was no whistle. A bunch of other stuff he was whining about, too. Seems like he stole Adam Gase’s smelling salts.

Horrible call going for it on 4th down with the way both defenses were playing. I think the Bills win that game if he takes the 3. Completely changed the momentum and was obvious they weren’t scoring there.
They scored the first time he went for it on 4th down. They don’t win with a fg there.

On the hit by Jones the announcer says it was a hit on a defenseless runner and was a blatant and easy call. If that’s not the QB it’s not called. Here’s the rule. Which part was violated by the hit?

1. Players in a defenseless posture are:
    1. A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass (passing posture)
    2. A receiver attempting to catch a pass who has not had time to clearly become a runner. If the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player
    3. The intended receiver of a pass in the action during and immediately following an interception or potential interception. If the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player.
      Note: Violations of this provision will be enforced after the interception, and the intercepting team will maintain possession.

4. A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped
    5. A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air
    6. A player on the ground
    7. A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return (Also see Article 6(h) for additional restrictions against a kicker/punter)
    8. A quarterback at any time after a change of possession (Also see Article 9(f) for additional restrictions against a quarterback after a change of possession)
    9. A player who receives a “blindside” block when the path of the offensive blocker is toward or parallel to his own end line.
    10. A player who is protected from an illegal crackback block (see Article 2)
    11. The offensive player who attempts a snap during a Field Goal attempt or a Try Kick

No penalty on that play, either.

Brady bounced right back up, also. If he was a savvy veteran like Allen, he would laid motionless for 30 seconds to get sympathy. Having accomplished that, he could jog to the sideline, then run to the locker room like nothing happened.

Harbaugh sets the bar pretty high . . .
It would be entertaining to watch ball-less play the bildoes and see if harbough can defend his title as the whiniest coach in the nfl.

Last edited:
People saying he wasn't defenseless are missing the point. Doesn't matter. It was the right call.

He was a runner at the point of contact. Should not have even been penalized. The refs should have addressed that.

People saying he wasn't defenseless are missing the point. Doesn't matter. It was the right call.
If he was a RB nothing would have been called.

No, you did not misinterpret the rules. After the backwards pass, Barkley is indeed fair game and KVN was right to go right at him.

No idea what the **** happened there unless something changed with the RTP rule, that I'm not aware of.
However, because Barkley lined up under center he was not an eligible receiver even after the lateral, so that may have affected what’s allowed to be done to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST