Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you believe we will be a super bowl contender with Mac?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I talked about this in another post recently, last week i think but can't seem to find it on search. Pre-draft I talked about his mechanics, release and I believe two issues are still hurting him.

Anyway ... and I'm not an expert. I mean I am but not everyone can farm, build a magnificent city and be a footballs guy.

Mac doesn't really utilize core or hips on certain passes. The torque or rotation just doesn't seem to be on certain passes and I believe it's bc he's trying to drop it in a bucket. Iow he'll sacrifice some strength & velocity for accuracy, placement and touch. That's just a guess as to why but he's been inconsistent utilizing his hips as before the pros.

I talked about his release as well and I believe that's a little inconsistent too in terms of release point. I'm sure that's something he's been working on.

I thought his footwork was could always be better dropping back after a snap specifically.

Wasn't it those sorts of issues that Tom House was supposed to help him fix? Or is his area of expertise restricted to a QB's arm?

So many suddenly saying Mac can't throw. I mean, a bad EZ attempt to Parker was under thrown for INT. and a garbage time INT while he was getting pancaked by Campbell. But, did you not see the multiple dimes to Parker, Agholor and Bourne. Mac was having his best throwing performance of his career. Proving he can place it where he needs too, he just also made some bad decisions - because he's putting a ton of pressure on himself to force this passing game to get going. Everyone goes through it. Give it some time before you say he's regressed. The whole dang team has regressed since the BUF run game last year.

Is Joe Burrow considered to have a strong or even mediocre arm? Watching this game he has not zipped the ball once. And he also throws wobbly ducks.

Poor Tua, on the other hand, who was hung out to dry by his Coach Mike McDaniel, throws completely off balance and can't get the ball to Tyreek.

How do the Dolphins allow Tua to play this week? On a short week too?!! This guy is not going to come back for a very long time.

Wasn't it those sorts of issues that Tom House was supposed to help him fix? Or is his area of expertise restricted to a QB's arm?
Yea but this is a big work in progress in most cases. Definitely not a quick fix. I've heard Rodgers and Brady talk about working on 1 or 2 things every offseason. Get as specific as possible for some movements or exercise and master those. As opposed to work on 1000 different things and improve marginally.

So it could be a good year or two before you see tangible results. Only problem with that is Mac was billed as pro ready. He deserves 3 years with this **** show though.

He deserves 3 years with this **** show though.
This.

Whatever happened to the BB who loved teaching young players? He even tried teaching that young woman side judge a few years ago. He spent a lot of time with Jones during the Ravens game, so maybe he knows he needs to step in.

I'm a long way off from giving up on Mac but I also do not think he will get unlimited time to prove he can get to the next level in the pros... nor should he. Just like BB will not get unlimited time to rebuild this team.

I’m probably the biggest Mac Jones fan here. That being said, I have my reservations about Mac. He certainly has a skill set to be an excellent NFL QB. I think 99% of his issues are about confidence. I think when he struggles a little bit, he’s not mentally strong enough to overcome it, and it just becomes an avalanche (see the 3 INTs last week). That may come with time, or it may never come. It’s tough to tell.

I’m not able to see the future, so we shall see. I was more sure last year than this year, that’s for sure.

Adding this to my comments. Look at some of the greats, their early seasons, Drew Brees for example, some of them took 3 seasons before they took off and became stars. Brees was also considered not to have a GREAT arm. Several in the top ten in stats struggled early. So there is some hope. I would say, it would be nice if he had some better weapons, hopefully that happens the next few seasons.

Last edited:
Why do so many people think arm strength is being able to launch a bomb 50 yards down field? Almost any QB at the NFL level can wind up and throw the ball as hard as they can 50 yards downfield. Arm strength is a factor on the quick out routes to the sideline or zipping a ball into tight window. Some of Mac's throws outside the hashmarks on those 10 yard outs have been very slow to get there and gives the corners time to recover and get in position to break up the pass. Timing can help that to some extent but Mac seems to be getting squirrelly in the pocket and not always setting his feet which add to the arm strength issue.

I’m probably the biggest Mac Jones fan here. That being said, I have my reservations about Mac. He certainly has a skill set to be an excellent NFL QB. I think 99% of his issues are about confidence. I think when he struggles a little bit, he’s not mentally strong enough to overcome it, and it just becomes an avalanche (see the 3 INTs last week). That may come with time, or it may never come. It’s tough to tell.

I’m not able to see the future, so we shall see. I was more sure last year than this year, that’s for sure.

Adding this to my comments. Look at some of the greats, their early seasons, Drew Brees for example, some of them took 3 seasons before they took off and became stars. Brees was also considered not to have a GREAT arm. Several in the top ten in stats struggled early. So there is some hope. I would say, it would be nice if he had some better weapons, hopefully that happens the next few seasons.

We have seen Jones come immediately back from a big mistake and perform well. Look at the Dallas game last year. He throws a pick six and then comes back and throws a 75 yard touchdown pass to Bourne along with converting the two point conversion to have the go ahead score (and if the defense could have hold up, the winning score). We saw him after playing an awful first half in Indy play great in the second half and almost get the Pats back into a chance to score and tie or win the game until the defense gave up a 67 yard TD run by Taylor.

I don't think it is mental toughness. I think it is he is a young player struggling with a new offense and without the support of an experienced offensive or QB coach to help him get acclimated.

Last edited:
Poor Tua, on the other hand, who was hung out too dry by his Coach Mike McDaniel, throws completely off balance and can't get the ball to Tyreek.

How do the Dolphins allow Tua to play this week? On a short week too?!! This guy is not going to come back for a very long time.
The Fins should not have let Tua play the rest of Sunday or last night after that obvious concussion and it led to last night’s even more scary concussion. Even though the Fins added some pieces around Tua at WR and OL, that is just a really baaaadddd organization headed by a horrible owner, it is inexcusable he was playing after the concussion Sunday and then again last night.

We have seen Jones come immediately back from a big mistake and perform well. Look at the Dallas game last year. He throws a pick six and then comes back and throws a 75 yard touchdown pass to Bourne along with converting the two point conversion to have the go ahead score (and if the defense could have hold up, the winning score). We saw him after playing an awful first half in Indy play great in the second half and almost get the Pats back into a chance to score and tie or win the game until the defense gave up a 67 yard TD run by Taylor.

I don't think it is mental toughness. I think it is he is a young player struggling with a new offense and without the support of an experienced offensive or QB coach to help him get acclimated.
That DAL pass was a 31-yard floating hospital ball that the Safety should've intercepted or blown up Bourne on the play but completely whiffed. Near comebacks are not a stat regardless of all the ifs, ands or buts.

I believe that Mac's regression is 80/20 on the coaches/QB. I have ZERO confidence in whatever his QB coach is doing. His OC hasn't taken advantage of all the learning and chemistry from his receivers in the 2021 season that was supposed to show a marked increase in their productions in their 2nd year together. Instead, they decide to simplify and revamp the playbook creating communication mistakes, confusion, high TOs & poor production. So far this is a disaster that lands squarely on Bill's feet. I feel bad for Mac. He's extremely frustrated as are other players (Bourne). I hope he recovers soon but takes as long as he needs to avoid further injury to his ankle.

That DAL pass was a 31-yard floating hospital ball that the Safety should've intercepted or blown up Bourne on the play but completely whiffed. Near comebacks are not a stat regardless of all the ifs, ands or buts.

I believe that Mac's regression is 80/20 on the coaches/QB. I have ZERO confidence in whatever his QB coach is doing. His OC hasn't taken advantage of all the learning and chemistry from his receivers in the 2021 season that was supposed to show a marked increase in their productions in their 2nd year together. Instead, they decide to simplify and revamp the playbook creating communication mistakes, confusion, high TOs & poor production. So far this is a disaster that lands squarely on Bill's feet. I feel bad for Mac. He's extremely frustrated as are other players (Bourne). I hope he recovers soon but takes as long as he needs to avoid further injury to his ankle.

Weren't you the same guy praising Tua this year for throwing the same types of floaters? Both Hill's TDs against the Ravens were underthrown balls that he had to slow down to catch

But I think you are mischaracterizing Jones' pass. It looked to be a good pass to me right to Bourne and over the defender's head. It wasn't great coverage, but it was a good throw.

Reactions: Ian
When this team fails to win a division title now 3 years running..mac will get the blame.

But ultimately, the most blame should go to Belichick and his colossal failures of abysmal drafting on the offensive side of the ball, horrendous FA contracts to offensive skilled players, along with his blatant nepotism in hiring coaches on his staff

Weren't you the same guy praising Tua this year for throwing the same types of floaters? Both Hill's TDs against the Ravens were underthrown balls that he had to slow down to catch

But I think you are mischaracterizing Jones' pass. It looked to be a good pass to me right to Bourne and over the defender's head. It wasn't great coverage, but it was a good throw.

Sure, except for the S completely missing on the play. Whatever, that's history and we lost.

When this team fails to win a division title now 3 years running..mac will get the blame.

But ultimately, the most blame should go to Belichick and his colossal failures of abysmal drafting on the offensive side of the ball, horrendous FA contracts to offensive skilled players, along with his blatant nepotism in hiring coaches on his staff
HAHA and you deserve a **** team given how you act here

I think Mac has the tools to be a solid NFL QB. As for a franchise QB, I feel the jury is still out on that. As with most of BB's QB's, Mac is strictly a pocket passer with limited mobility. I would love to see a Pats QB with enough mobility to evade the pass rush and be a threat to run. Doesn't need to be a Lamar Jackson clone, but athleticism like Russell Wilson. I definitely think we need an offensive coach calling the plays, regardless of who the QB is.

Depends what "the guy" means...

Do I think he is going to be a perennial pro-bowler/MVP candidate, win SBs, and be one of the "elite" QBs in the NFL and guys that you win because-of (Manning, Elway, Montana, Marino, Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, Brady etc..) .... NO

Do I think he can be a solid NFL starter, win a lot of games, take us on some deep play-off runs, manage the game, make it to a couple pro-bowls? Maybe win a superbowl when surrounded by a super talented roster (Stafford, Flacco, Jimmy G, Rivers, Palmer, Matt Ryan etc..) ? YES

Would love to be pleasantly surprised and have him fall into category #1. Just my opinion, I'm sure others consider him below the 2nd tier or in the 1st tier maybe?

309603345_10229436782764069_2760647053784126431_n.jpg

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back