PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Jonnu Smith the X factor?

Triumph

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
If he comes close to 2020, NE will have the best TE tandem in the AFCE and maybe the AFC. The NE RB stable is already loaded for bear. A Beast WR will break the NE offense open. The Pats will need it because I believe that the NE defense will have its challenges.

Your best defense is a great offense that can sustain drives and hold the ball. An offense that can rack up points forcing the other offense to go 1 dimensional to catch up.

I think Bourne can get better and will make a second year leap. Smith is tbd, but I believe they see his talent and the talent of the guys around them and simplifying the offensive scheme will help the players think less and play faster.

I see Smith taking a leap forward along with Bourne, Stevenson, and getting the rookies involved a lot faster. Strong and Thornton are other huge X factors based on their speed. I think the Pats have a great offense and will be top 5 in points.

Really hoping for this season to be anything like his 2020 season .....could be huge for the team.

Parker is the x factor. They need a competent outside WR. If you have too many guys that can only play inside, you'll run into a team that will stop that. See 2010 Jets playoff game, 2013 playoff game against Denver, 2019 season and 2021 season.

Last edited:
He is explosive as heck , can be a real playmaker if he is able to fit in. Im hoping for a bounce back this year. Such great potential in this offense especially if mac takes a leap

He's #3 for me on offense.

#1 - Trent Brown/Isaiah Wynn - they need to stay healthy, the former for the first time since 2018, while the latter also needs to play a dam sight better than he has...whenever he was healthy enough to play at all, that is.

#2 - Parker/Agholor - Mac needs what every other team that fancies itself a contender has: WRs who can either run past coverage or out-jump coverage... Without a legit threat from the outside, we will never be able to generate enough big plays to out-score our opponents, which will be our only chance of winning games this season because of our lousy defense.

I think the tandem TE combination of Smith and Henry being effective opens the door for 30+ passing tds this season... There's some speed in the wr corp, and some good slot receivers as well... As long as the pass blocking can hold up, the tight ends and receivers can create some mismatches in the backfield... Getting Smith on track really helps the offense

After Josh not finding a role for him last season I’m sure Bill has mandated to this years OC (fill in the blank) that their #1 priority is the two TE offense.

After Josh not finding a role for him last season I’m sure Bill has mandated to this years OC (fill in the blank) that their #1 priority is the two TE offense.
Josh did a very poor job utilizing him. Every play ran for him was predictable (screen in the backfield) and his game is not running through trash.

He's #3 for me on offense.

#1 - Trent Brown/Isaiah Wynn - they need to stay healthy, the former for the first time since 2018, while the latter also needs to play a dam sight better than he has...whenever he was healthy enough to play at all, that is.

#2 - Parker/Agholor - Mac needs what every other team that fancies itself a contender has: WRs who can either run past coverage or out-jump coverage... Without a legit threat from the outside, we will never be able to generate enough big plays to out-score our opponents, which will be our only chance of winning games this season because of our lousy defense.
Mac
maxresdefault_1_0_0.jpg

I'm well aware that guys struggle getting the playbook etc, but I have little patience for tight ends that struggle to block. Jonnu's blocking was some of the worst we have ever had at that position in the last 10+ years.

If..if he can pick up the offense...wait this is 2022. The world has changed in Foxboro. I don't have a clue how much they "dumbed" it down. My guess is not as much as some think and not as much as some hope.

I start off with sarcasm because, as a guy who coached elementary and then middle schoolers and High School was a mix bag of a dad, good football players as kids and some help here and there on the coaching staff etc..then talking with my son a DIII kid, a few 1AA kids and few D1 kids and one or two NFL kids that I coached.

These kids can understand complex football schemes if...you teach it right. And you treat them accordingly. Accountability is huge. And as a coach, a parent etc..it's easy to say oh **** just throw it up to Randy!

That doesn't help the player. It only feeds egos and win insignificant trophies in that kids life. Now said trophy is most likely the pinnacle of the kids teammates, coaches and parents sports life. But that is not the point of kid sports. It should show them how to lose and win. And the feelings of both.

Now down from my rant...I apologize but had a few drinks and started thinking about the whole history of the offense is to complex for many. I don't argue against that because it is the truth. It partially brought me to the bad youth coach rant (who I despise) and then into an elite NFL athlete and how he was handled, raised and taught by his family, coaches, friends, teammates and community.

Jonnu can clearly handle the coaching he had Vrable who is a prick. He is obviously talented. Above average NFL TE at a young age. So I think about the multiple route options. I also think about who and what Brady was in 2019 versus 200x-2004. McDaniels toned down the offense for Mac and let's be honest the new comers that had to play.

Now we have a second season of basically our entire offense at least skill wise. I think we will see a similar but mildly ******ed offense in scheme. Maybe a limited set of option routes with a few baked in routes for a safety net. Maybe Jonnu runs a seem or an out on a set of plays no matter the look. Henry has the option routes. Same with Bourne and Algholar..etc..

This is what I would do for what that's worth. Simplify it for the straight talent guys, avoid zone overload, and let the guys that get it work the options routes. All the while letting your young QB know there will be two or three guys who can win one on one matches available in these locations, however their maybe a wide open dude somewhere else for a big play over here, here and here. If not hit the steady dude in the familiar place.

Opens up the offense, gives major freedoms to the young QB all the while giving him multiple outs.

Simple and complicated at least for the short term.

Just my 2 cents

He really needs a good start as he seems like a confidence player, once it starts to go south he doesn't seem able to pull it back. I also think we have so many targets/wr/te now that not all those players are going to get decent numbers as it's just not possible so he may suffer just by that.

He worked out with Mac this off-season, he had a full OTA’s, he will (health assuming) have a complete training camp… he’ll be fine.

Imagine if Jakob Johnson had some explosion and speed… an explosive FB in the flat as an outlet is a big advantage. I think back to the days of Keith Byars, we need some of that weaponry.

Last year is last year now Jonnu needs to live up to that contract. IF he still looks lost in this upcoming TC Houston we have a problem. That said would love to see where Devin Asiasi is at developmental wise he's a former third rounder who more than looks the part.

Last edited:
Jonnu being a move TE should be stretching the seams with H Henry underneath. We should be much faster on Offense inside and out.

Smith's numbers weren't really that far off from his career averages. I think he is what he is.

Smith's numbers weren't really that far off from his career averages. I think he is what he is.
I agree. Hes a move TE.

If they can design plays which a) can get him in space and b) he is comfortable running he might give them 30 catches, 450yds 5TDs

Then why didn't BB hire Bill O'Brien? His 2 TE offense was killer* in the early 2010's......

*Unintended pun

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back