PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it time to give up on Dowling?

Ozymandias

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
New year, same issues. I think if he doesn't get healthy very soon he'll be cut before opening day against the Bills. His body might just not be able to handle the rigors of the game of football. If that's the case, the Patriots should cut bait and move on.

Thoughts?

Your assessment seems right. Make an assessment is a couple of weeks. What I "fear" is that he will be put on IR yet again.

QUESTION
If Dowling is put on IR, is this year an accrued year, or would we still have rights to him in 2015?

New year, same issues. I think if he doesn't get healthy very soon he'll be cut before opening day against the Bills. His body might just not be able to handle the rigors of the game of football. If that's the case, the Patriots should cut bait and move on.

Thoughts?

I'm not really clear on what his injury is so I'm going to say no, and there isn't any real salary cap incentive to cut him so I'd just send him to injured reserve and let him compete again next year for the 4th-5th CB role.

I'm still optimistic though that he can get out on the field this preseason and contribute in the regular season, I'm just not relying on him.

I celebrate the man's entire catalog....

...Thoughts?

I think the Patriots are currently only 3 deep at CB, and they need to find at least one more viable player at the position. I doubt that player is Ras-IR, but right now is pretty much "any port in a storm" time, unless another team releases someone that can help NE.

2013 NFL Free Agents - Free Agency Update - Rotoworld.com

Cornerbacks

Sheldon Brown
Rashean Mathis
Terrence McGee
Stanford Routt
Leigh Bodden
Shawntae Spencer
Pat Lee
Cedric Griffin
Jason Allen
Ryan Mouton
Michael Coe
Drew Coleman
Alphonso Smith

I wouldn't guess that we'd be seeing anyone off of that list myself, but could see another team's camp casualty if Belichick sees fit. It wouldn't make much sense to me that he'd be dialing up one of those names after ignoring them for such a long period...unless of course, we suddenly became riddled with injuries at the position.

Your assessment seems right. Make an assessment is a couple of weeks. What I "fear" is that he will be put on IR yet again.

QUESTION
If Dowling is put on IR, is this year an accrued year, or would we still have rights to him in 2015?

I'm certainly no expert at these kinds of things. Usually Deus and ctpatsfan77 are excellent contributors for these kinds of issues.

I do remember that leaving a player on PUP for the entire year wiped off their year of eligibility though, at least under a certain number of seasons played. We saw this happen with Myron Pryor last year, along with Johnny Knox WR from Chicago. (Edit: nevermind, I forgot that he had practiced a few times).

I doubt it would matter much anyways to be honest. If Dowling weren't able to go my guess would be that the 3rd time is a charm and he'd be released.

I see him as Terrence Wheatley 2.0 always injured and when he did get on the field was not very good

I see him as Terrence Wheatley 2.0 always injured and when he did get on the field was not very good

I'm already in "who we could've taken instead of him" mode.

I hear that Richard Sherman fellow is pretty darn good.

If he does not show for the remainder of training camp, would do you think?
Like Brady6 stated, there's the possibility they just I.R. him and try for a fourth time next season.

While the above is the most logical conclusion, if he does get placed on I.R., that does beg to question why even bother? He may just be damaged goods at this point and is to far gone to ever amount to anything.

If the second scenario is the reality, I would just cut my losses now and move on from a colossal wasted pick. No point in keeping him around for a fourth try, if as his track record clearly proves, that he's just going to get injured again.

I don't ever remember him being on the field...

I'm already in "who we could've taken instead of him" mode.

I hear that Richard Sherman fellow is pretty darn good.

the funny part is they could have had Sherman in Marcus Cannon's spot he went that low and they could have had Jabaal Sheard or Torrey Smith in Dowlings spot,

but it is what it is. that's why the Draft is a gamble no one really knows who is and is not good hell brady went 199

Here's a guy that couldn't even stay healthy until the first preseason game. I think the only thing clouding judgement on cutting him is the Dennard situation and a possible lack of coverage at CB. Even though it really would be folly to keep a guy as positional cover, when he's never fit to provide that cover. Time to move on I think.

I think the Patriots are currently only 3 deep at CB, and they need to find at least one more viable player at the position. I doubt that player is Ras-IR, but right now is pretty much "any port in a storm" time, unless another team releases someone that can help NE.

That's where I am. Dowling's continuing injuries have obviously been a huge disappointment, but I'm not inclined to "give up" on a player unless I have another option behind him.

(Semi-OT, but can you imagine what it must be like to be Dowling and have this frustration be your LIFE? By all accounts he's always been a very hard-working guy who loves football, he must be going out of his mind.

EDIT: As if your waking life is one of those dreams where you just want to order a pizza but you can't dial the right number, then the phone doesn't work right, then...)

Last edited:
it will be time when the team goes down to 53

can't have the prospect of his presence clouding the judgement regarding another player.........getting rid of someone with possibilities only to have this guy hurt week 1 is a poor choice.

time to move on

I gave up on his 1st trip to the IR, and the 2nd and soon the 3rd...

That draft picked was a real head scratcher...

That's where I am. Dowling's continuing injuries have obviously been a huge disappointment, but I'm not inclined to "give up" on a player unless I have another option behind him.

(Semi-OT, but can you imagine what it must be like to be Dowling and have this frustration be your LIFE? By all accounts he's always been a very hard-working guy who loves football, he must be going out of his mind.

EDIT: As if your waking life is one of those dreams where you just want to order a pizza but you can't dial the right number, then the phone doesn't work right, then...)

The only thing we can be sure of is that if this were a case of a player not putting in the effort, or not having the mental toughness to be an NFL player, they would have parted ways with him already.

What we don't know is if this latest injury is related to the others, and what the medical staff is thinking about his path forward for him for getting on the field.

Frustrating as a fan because the difference in this defense between him being on the field and playing quality CB, and not, is huge.

why are you insulting wheatly by comparing him to dowling? compared to dowling wheatly was an iron man.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back