PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it time to give up on Dowling?

I gave up on his 1st trip to the IR, and the 2nd and soon the 3rd...

That draft picked was a real head scratcher...
i agree, i Hated the pick. Right off the bat he appeared to be another in a long line of under achieving injury prone DB picks.

Another 2nd round Gem. How many round 2 busts have we had over the last 6 drafts, I've lost count.

I saw a lot more out of Justin Green on Friday than I've seen out of RasI. I see another full season IR stint on the way. #smh

Sort of, yes. If he is healthy to start the season... keep him for this year. If he gets injured during the year, cut him. Next year, when rooster size is 90, resign him to the minimum and cut at the first injury.

It'd be easier to judge is we knew what the heck was wrong with him this time. Are they just keeping him out because of something minor - a tweaked hamstring, where he could play if it was more than preseason?

I heard - have no way of knowing if it's true - that he got a parking space this year, which means the coaches were quite pleased.

His talent is a tease. He's got the length and speed and shows flashes that say he could be a good corner. But it's just a tease.

Bottom line, the Pats NEED another durable and competent CB. Logan Ryan might get there, but...

If Dowling can't go, I hope they move on, and I like him a lot.

ps. On Sherman...like the rest of Seattle, the guy's a walking PED. That team could do the Carolina slide in a big way this year with the NFL looking at them more closely after (how many? 6?) so many guys got popped for PEDs.

It'd be easier to judge is we knew what the heck was wrong with him this time. Are they just keeping him out because of something minor - a tweaked hamstring, where he could play if it was more than preseason?

I heard - have no way of knowing if it's true - that he got a parking space this year, which means the coaches were quite pleased.

His talent is a tease. He's got the length and speed and shows flashes that say he could be a good corner. But it's just a tease.

Bottom line, the Pats NEED another durable and competent CB. Logan Ryan might get there, but...

If Dowling can't go, I hope they move on, and I like him a lot.

ps. On Sherman...like the rest of Seattle, the guy's a walking PED. That team could do the Carolina slide in a big way this year with the NFL looking at them more closely after (how many? 6?) so many guys got popped for PEDs.

Wasn't he getting torched constantly once the pads came on?

Let's see if he is back at practice tommorow. He is skating on thin ice, but he will be given the rest of the preseason to prove himself. He could have been held out for precautionary reasons.

Although if he doesn't come back soon, he is a goner.

Wasn't he getting torched constantly once the pads came on?

No. I don't know where this idea keeps coming from. They started him in his first game as a rookie, and he did pretty well for a rookie. When he's been healthy (a small sample size) he's shown up well.

He's one of ours, and we should hope his health does a 180.

The problem like Deus says is, who else is there? If you cut Dowling, Logan Ryan is your main outside CB, no thanks.

A Dowling cut would give us a depth chart of:

1. Talib
2. Dennard
3. Arrington
4. Cole (barf)
5. Ryan

Green/Jones look awful so rule them out.

Hopefully someone halfway decent ends up on waivers and we snag him.

Was there really a reason to draft a project, slow, zone CB in the 3rd round, on a team that starts man to man guys?

No. I don't know where this idea keeps coming from. They started him in his first game as a rookie, and he did pretty well for a rookie. When he's been healthy (a small sample size) he's shown up well.

He's one of ours, and we should hope his health does a 180.

I'm not talking about his rookie season. i was talking about this preseason and him getting that parking spot

I dont know. I like the guy and want him to succeed here. But ya gotta play first.

Looking at the comments and the situation the CB position is once again in jeopardy of having some serious depth issues. God forbid Talib goes down. With the NFL a passing league and most Ds in sub packages a lot more perhaps its time to think about addressing this.

This may be the position and time to start thinking about a trade for a solid player. Especially when Talib is only on a 1year deal and Dennard is a little bit of a wildcard. Who are the CB who will be free agents next year?

I know Asomugha might be avail but its questionable if he can even play anymore or if he is worth whatever $ he is asking.

Also, who are teams in need right now of anything? I know the Ravens need serious help at TE and possibly WR. I wonder if the Pats would consider trading one of their picks to a team for a CB or going to (lets say the Ravens for example) and offering Fells and WR etc...try to get a pick and wheel it for a CB.

I think the time is now for this team with Brady at 36. Picks are great but we have a very young team and seem to always have depth issues in the secondary.

We don't know what's wrong with him and 10-20 players are not practicing right now.

Anybody see top cornerbacks available right now? I don't.

Until we have the ability to evaluate his injury, we don't know if it's just coincidental injuries (it's football) or a nagging (hip) injury that flares up.

I'm sure BB won't be shy about cutting him if it's warranted, without the forum's guidance.

By the way, any pre 2001 fans should remember that waste of a fourth overall pick who couldn't stay on the field.

This optimistic article after myriad injuries, was followed by back surgery, another setback.

Patriots' Spotlight: Willie Mcginest
November 21, 1999

He nailed Damon Huard for two sacks Oct. 17 and has six sacks for the season. Is there any doubt that Willie McGinest is back to his old ways?

McGinest, the New England Patriots defensive end who was rewarded with a five-year, $25 million contract following the 1996 season, finally is earning his pay. He has followed two injury-plagued seasons with another stellar one.

He had 9 sacks in `96, then because of recurring groin muscle problems, recorded 5 in the 1997 and `98 seasons combined. He missed five games in `97 and eight last year.

"He's getting paid to be in the spotlight," said Patriots coach Pete Carroll. "Before Willie's groin started acting up, he had a bunch of tremendous games. Once he started to get that nagging injury, then the plays didn't show up any more."

Said McGinest: "I feel good, and when I feel good, there's a lot of things I can do on the football field to help my team win."

Patriots' Spotlight: Willie Mcginest - Sun Sentinel

I'm not talking about his rookie season. i was talking about this preseason and him getting that parking spot

he was uneven from everything I heard (and saw). There were times when he would absolutely maul a receiver at the line in 1-on-1's...other times when he got smoked.

Talib looked better, Dennard looked similar (as did Arrington, by the way). No one else looked close.

Isn't there still 3/4 of the preseason left? Should we be giving up on, or for that matter crowning anyone at this point? I would agree he is the most frustrating player on this team.

I am 100% on Dowlings side and hope this is more precautionary. But you are talking about a Probowler getting injured and coming back VS a guy who has done literally nothing.

There is no guarantee RID would even be serviceable if he is 100% healthy with all the time he has missed.

I am 100% on Dowlings side and hope this is more precautionary. But you are talking about a Probowler getting injured and coming back VS a guy who has done literally nothing.

There is no guarantee RID would even be serviceable if he is 100% healthy with all the time he has missed.

I'm talking about a guy who just signed a huge contract and was #4 overall. The point is, why would you give up on a guy who might still help the team? Do you see decent CBs available on waivers when we need them? I don't.

I'm sure Belichick is perfectly capable of cutting guys that can't play for whatever reason. I'm more than happy to cede him that responsibility.

New year, same issues. I think if he doesn't get healthy very soon he'll be cut before opening day against the Bills. His body might just not be able to handle the rigors of the game of football. If that's the case, the Patriots should cut bait and move on.

Thoughts?

You don't cut someone until you have a possible replacement in mind. Maybe in a year Ryan Logan or a high draftee at CB can be that replacement candidate, but not now. Only a complete idiot or a fool would want to be forced to play Marquis Cole on regular defensive snaps.

Only impulsive foolish fans and coaches not long for their jobs do so.
Of course, Belichick is no fool.

I'm talking about a guy who just signed a huge contract and was #4 overall. The point is, why would you give up on a guy who might still help the team? Do you see decent CBs available on waivers when we need them? I don't.

I'm sure Belichick is perfectly capable of cutting guys that can't play for whatever reason. I'm more than happy to cede him that responsibility.

I wouldnt give up on him at all. I had him down for a starter.... Some people would cut him now but they never offer an alternative. My thought was to go out and use assets to shore up the nagging CB issue IF RID cant go. I am tired of this every year.

I wouldnt give up on him at all. I had him down for a starter.... Some people would cut him now but they never offer an alternative. My thought was to go out and use assets to shore up the nagging CB issue IF RID cant go. I am tired of this every year.

I'd pick up a good cornerback right now, no matter what Dowling's health is. If you remember 2005, safeties and cornerbacks tend to get injured more than others, it seems. It's a tough position having to play physical against guys 50-100 pounds heavier sometimes.

I'd pick up a good cornerback right now, no matter what Dowling's health is. If you remember 2005, safeties and cornerbacks tend to get injured more than others, it seems. It's a tough position having to play physical against guys 50-100 pounds heavier sometimes.

Now we are talking. Any guys up for FA? Teams with needs. Namdi worth a look if he dosent catch on with SF? They need a body.

I would give up next years 2 or hell even 1 if we could get a great CB to shore this up for the next several years. Then you dont have to worry about Dennard if he faks up again and you have a lot more leverage with Talib come contract time.

Plus, do you want your star CB playing all year and wearing down come playoff time? Look what happened with Talib.

Maybe you offer Fells and a 3 and 6 to the Ravens for a 2. Or something. Take the 2 and get someone.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back