PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it Time for the NFL to Remove Detriot from the Turkey Day Schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flex scheduling would be PERFECT for Thanksgiving

Goodell and the owners need to think seriously about this

Probably if it does change,Then Detroit becomes a 12-4 team

Something tells me this would be a nightmare for Thanksgiving. This would involve rearranging schedules for many fans, and not to mention the away fans who have to change travel arrangements.

That wouldn't work based on yearly schedule...i think people would like to see any Team not named Detriot.:banned:

Now I didn't say it the first time you spelled it wrong in the thread title, but since you did it again, I must let you know that there is no team named detrIOt ..Its DETROIT

Last edited:
And while we're at it, why is Dallas in the NFC East and St Louis in the NFC West? Dallas is further west than St Louis. What's the deal!

Yes. I propose the following.

The Thanksgiving Day games would be, Early Game: The Winner of the Super Bowl plays the OPPOSITE CONFERENCE LOSER of their AFC or NFC title game - So this year it would be: Giants VS. San Diego.

The Late game would be: The LOSER of the Super Bowl plays the Loser of the OPPOSITE CONFERENCE Title game. So this year it would be: New England Patriots Vs. The Green Bay Packers.

Thoughts?

Basicaly what you would get is the prior years Super Bowl if the "OTHER" team had won.

That's pretty ambitious. I would be happy with the Super Bowl teams playing a home game against a division rival, and maybe the two not Super Bowl teams in the NFLN game.

So we could maybe see this year the Pats vs. the Jets (great exciting rivalry game with tons of drama), the Giants vs. Dallas (great exciting rivalry game with some drama) and SD vs GB.

All three of which are better than any of the crap on THXgiving. Whatever reason the NFL has for keeping Detroit on the holiday is not a good enough one.

i dont mind the lions being on thanksgiving but i think they should play a divison rival every year. now that sanders is gone there is not really a reason to watch them. i would love for the lions to beat the titans on thursday though

And while we're at it, why is Dallas in the NFC East and St Louis in the NFC West? Dallas is further west than St Louis. What's the deal!

I THINK Dallas was kept in the East for division rival purposes. Same reason Miami isn't in the AFC South, I guess. While we're at it, shouldn't the AFC East be NE, NY, Buffalo, and Baltimore? Then Indy could move to the North (Pitt, Cleveland, Cinci, and Indy) and the South could be Miami, Houston, Jax, and Tenn.

Let's do the NFC, too. The North and South are fine. Just swap out the Rams and Cowboys.

somerimes it's good to leave things alone...like T Day

the only good thing about having the Lions play on Thanksgiving is if you need a fantasy win and you have players on the opposing team.

This comes up every year around this time, but this is the first time I can recall pundits saying the NFL is actually considering it. Wilbon mentioned it on PTI yesterday.

Why do they keep it in Detroit and Dallas? Tradition. Back in the old days the NFL was looking for teams to play on T-Day as a way of getting attention - nationally televised games, no other sports on during the day. The downside was, in theory, the ticket sales would be way down because who was going to go to a football game on a holiday traditionally spent with family? Detroit and Dallas volunteered to take the hits, then reaped the rewards when it caught on. (That may not be exact, but that's a nutshell of the different things I've heard.)

I don't know. If anything I'd like to see Dallas taken out of the equation just because I hate them and thus hate watching them, but on T-Day they're the only option in the afternoon.

Another thing I will say is maybe if they yanked the Lions and made it a showcase for the "best teams", that might motivate William Ford to actually make his team better so they could "win back" the T-Day honor. Course we've all seen that without flex scheduling it can be hard to predict who those "top teams" will really be, and as mentioned earlier flex scheduling for T-Day could be a real pain in the butt for fans.

Finally I'll say this also - back on Patriots Planet when we talked about this there was a season ticket holder who said NO WAY would he ever go to a game at Gillette on Thanksgiving.

I'm all for keeping the tradition.

I don't mind watching Detroit, its like watching a little kid try to fight a bully every year. Its as American as apple pie and turkey dinner.

I loathe the Cowboys, but I watch them, ever Thanksgiving, because its tradition. No need to change it, don't fix it if it isn't broken. Sure the Lions are broken, but the tradition is entact.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST