PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it possible Bill can save his job by benching Mac Jones and blaming the season on him?

i don't know how you blame a single person/player on this team, the whole team lacks leadership/accountability, they are playing without any urgency. its rather disgusting to watch, they lack heart and pride

Wrong I pointed out that juju was wide open.

He could have made the throw to Elliot before the danger of the guy laying in the ground that he tripped over.
He also could have moved in any direction other than directly into the defender laying in the ground.
He is supposed to make plays, not get excuses because everything wasn’t perfect.

Before any danger Elliot had 3+ yards of cushion on a defender playing inside leverage and was running an out. That’s an easy throw 99% of QBs make if they feel the rush, unless they read the coverage and know juju is WIDE open, in which case they slide away from the defender on the ground to buy the millisecond they need to hit juju.
10 literally does everything wrong and you are using his mistakes for excuses of why his mistakes aren’t mistakes.

I am not defending Jones. He was awful in this game. There are plenty of plays where you can legitimately point to and say he had plenty of time and totally missed seeing the wide open receiver. This play wasn't one of them.

I am arguing against your premise that the o-line is pretty good and just cannot be "100% perfect on every play". I pointed out plays where the line was a disaster and let the defenders get to Mac virtually untouched.

And take the L on the Elliot route. He wasn't looking back and he hadn't made his break. No QB is throwing to him except toward his feet to ground the ball. But with a guy coming straight up the middle untouched, grounding the ball isn't smart option.

I have said Mac is broken and he deserves to be benched. But I am not going to make all the offensive failings about him to defend Belichick like you do.

I am not defending Jones. He was awful in this game. There are plenty of plays where you can legitimately point to and say he had plenty of time and totally missed seeing the wide open receiver. This play wasn't one of them.
Of course you are. You are arguing he shouldn’t be expected to do the things that every competant qb does routinely.
Iam arguing against your premise that the o-line is pretty good and just cannot be "100% perfect on every play". I pointed out plays where the line was a disaster and let the defenders get to Mac virtually untouched.
Well then you are arguing with yourself because I never said that.
And take the L on the Elliot route. He wasn't looking back and he hadn't made his break. No QB is throwing to him except toward his feet to ground the ball. But with a guy coming straight up the middle untouched, grounding the ball isn't smart option.
Every qb in the nfl throws passes before the player makes their cut. You seem to not realize that they play is designed for receivers to run routes. The QB knows what they are going to do. If he threw it before danger Elliot has made his cut before it gets there. I see why you defend 10, you don’t understand the basics of qb play.
I have said Mac is broken and he deserves to be benched. But I am not going to make all the offensive failings about him to defend Belichick like you do.
And therein lies the issue. You have an agenda of what you want to do, so you won’t be honest about what you see.
Guess we can be done now.

I am arguing against your premise that the o-line is pretty good and just cannot be "100% perfect on every play". I pointed out plays where the line was a disaster and let the defenders get to Mac virtually untouched.

Also you have zero response to why 10 decides to run right at the guy laying on the ground or why he couldn’t read the coverage and know juju is wide open. He could easily have thrown to a spot to juju, no one was close.
But you seem more interested in “not blaming Mac because you think that defends belichick” than in the QB actually making plays.

i don't know how you blame a single person/player on this team, the whole team lacks leadership/accountability, they are playing without any urgency. its rather disgusting to watch, they lack heart and pride
Do you want to quantify how they lack heart and pride?
Please let me know how I can determine that from my living room.
Every player is responsible or blamable for their contribution or lack thereof.
In this case the QB is making horrendous mistakes that have enormous impact on the games. He should get a huge share of the blame. Not sure how anyone could disagree with that.

Also you have zero response to why 10 decides to run right at the guy laying on the ground or why he couldn’t read the coverage and know juju is wide open. He could easily have thrown to a spot to juju, no one was close.
But you seem more interested in “not blaming Mac because you think that defends belichick” than in the QB actually making plays.

I didn't answer a question about something Mac didn't do actually do? Shoot me. Mac never ran at the guy laying on the ground. He tried to side step him and got tripped by the defender. Either you are seeing things or just making stuff up. Here is the video again.

And JuJu wasn't wide open when he had the opportunity to throw.

Why aren't you posting multiple clips of all Mac's missed opportunities on Sunday then? Or if you did, please let us know where and I'll drop any implied charge of you defending Mac once again this week.

A claimed lack of agenda and by coincidence you only post clips of failed plays alleging the o-line was at fault.

And my points still stand. You can throw the ball before the receiver cuts or gets open.

This has gotten far more complicated than it needs to be. The answer to a simple question solves it:

Were there open receivers before any defender touched Mac?

YES.

Putting Elliot aside, it's irrelevant as to whether Mac had time to step into a throw AFTER those receivers became open - he doesn't need to wait for those receivers to get open before throwing the ball if he knows the route. It's just another example of Mac needing everything to be perfect before he makes a decision. Once again he turns an imperfect situation into failure.

Why aren't you posting multiple clips of all Mac's missed opportunities on Sunday then? Or if you did, please let us know where and I'll drop any implied charge of you defending Mac once again this week.

A claimed lack of agenda and by coincidence you only post clips of failed plays alleging the o-line was at fault.

And my points still stand. You can throw the ball before the receiver cuts or gets open.

This has gotten far more complicated than it needs to be. The answer to a simple question solves it:

YES.

Putting Elliot aside, it's irrelevant as to whether Mac had time to step into a throw AFTER those receivers became open - he doesn't need to wait for those receivers to get open before throwing the ball if he knows the route. It's just another example of Mac needing everything to be perfect before he makes a decision. Once again he turns an imperfect situation into failure.

YES.

Why would I post clips of Mac making horrible decisions when I am arguing with someone who claims the Patriots’ offensive talent is pretty good with two “stud TEs” and a good o-line that “can’t be 100% perfect on every play”? It is not relevant to my point that no matter how bad Mac is that the rest of offensive talent is as bad. There is no coincidence that I am only posting clips that support my argument.

And yes you can throw the ball before the receiver makes the cut on a deeper route, but not a route five yards beyond the line.

Why would I post clips of Mac making horrible decisions when I am arguing with someone who claims the Patriots’ offensive talent is pretty good with two “stud TEs” and a good o-line that “can’t be 100% perfect on every play”? It is not relevant to my point that no matter how bad Mac is that the rest of offensive talent is as bad. There is no coincidence that I am only posting clips that support my argument.

And yes you can throw the ball before the receiver makes the cut on a deeper route, but not a route five yards beyond the line.
You're making the point in my last post re: an agenda. I'll just leave it there. Nothing left to disagree on.

I didn't answer a question about something Mac didn't do actually do? Shoot me. Mac never ran at the guy laying on the ground. He tried to side step him and got tripped by the defender. Either you are seeing things or just making stuff up. Here is the video again.

And JuJu wasn't wide open when he had the opportunity to throw.

He moved right into the guy laying on the ground.
Juju was totally wide open. There was no defender where his route was taking him.

Serious question. Do you honestly think the QB doesn’t know where the route is going? Do you honestly think that a QB is supposed to wait until the receiver arrives at the spot he will throw to before he throws?
Football doesn’t work like that. Most of the players thrown to don’t look open in a screen shot of when the ball is released. Receivers are MOVING TARGETS

You're making the point in my last post re: an agenda. I'll just leave it there. Nothing left to disagree on.

LOL! You making my point that you are obsessed with me and just see what you want to see.

I posted proof that the offensive line isn't good and isn't just unable to be perfect 100% on every play. That is all I did. I have said Mac is broken and should be benched for the season. I am not defending the guy.

But unlike you, I won't go ridiculous lengths to blame him for a sack where the o-line let an inside rusher a free run on Jones. That play was 100% on the o-line. To argue any other way is just ignorant and bias.

He moved right into the guy laying on the ground.
Juju was totally wide open. There was no defender where his route was taking him.

Serious question. Do you honestly think the QB doesn’t know where the route is going? Do you honestly think that a QB is supposed to wait until the receiver arrives at the spot he will throw to before he throws?
Football doesn’t work like that. Most of the players thrown to don’t look open in a screen shot of when the ball is released. Receivers are MOVING TARGETS

You are going to ridiculous lengths to make a sack on Jones that was 100% on the offensive line on Mac Jones. If you think Mac ran right into the guy on the ground and didn't try to move out of the way of the guy, there is no talking to you.

You think the o-line isn't at fault because they were good on that play, but just not 100% perfect. I mean they did block three of the four pass rushers. What more should a QB expect.

Mac knows the routes. And no he doesn't supposed to wait until they reach a spot. But neither of these are relevant to this play.

Serious question: Do you think when a defender runs through the center of the offensive line barely touched, do you think the offensive line bears even the slightest responsibility if the QB gets sacked? If so, what percentage?

LOL! You making my point that you are obsessed with me and just see what you want to see.

I posted proof that the offensive line isn't good and isn't just unable to be perfect 100% on every play. That is all I did. I have said Mac is broken and should be benched for the season. I am not defending the guy.

But unlike you, I won't go ridiculous lengths to blame him for a sack where the o-line let an inside rusher a free run on Jones. That play was 100% on the o-line. To argue any other way is just ignorant and bias.
Yes Rob, I'm obsessed with you. When you said Mac was an "undeniable NFL starting caliber QB" a few weeks ago I almost came and now I just can't help myself.

You are going to ridiculous lengths to make a sack on Jones that was 100% on the offensive line on Mac Jones. If you think Mac ran right into the guy on the ground and didn't try to move out of the way of the guy, there is no talking to you.

You think the o-line isn't at fault because they were good on that play, but just not 100% perfect. I mean they did block three of the four pass rushers. What more should a QB expect.

Mac knows the routes. And no he doesn't supposed to wait until they reach a spot. But neither of these are relevant to this play.

Serious question: Do you think when a defender runs through the center of the offensive line barely touched, do you think the offensive line bears even the slightest responsibility if the QB gets sacked? If so, what percentage?
So if you were 10s coach you would review that play with him and say good job??
You would not coach him to move AWAY from a grounded pass rusher, but praise him for trying to dance last?
You tell him great job not throwing to Zeke because an NFL QB should never expect a receiver to run his route.
You tell him great job not throwing to juju because even though the defender sat down in front and the safety was 20 yards away you shouldn’t read coverage and throw to where the guy will be when the ball arrives, you have to wait until he gets there?

If he throws the ball before contact to either where Zeke or juju would be when it gets there it’s a completion. It’s 100% relevant to the play. Please explain the reason NOT to throw to either of those guys before contact.

I NEVER expect my QB to move TOWARD the only threat who is laying on the ground. And if he thinks he has to then throw the ball because at least 2 guys are open. 10 100% did the wrong thing. That’s your percentage. If you think the job of a qb isn’t to get a play made instead of tripping over a defender lying on the ground then you deserve 10 as your QB.

Once more tell me that if you were 10s coach you would tell him the right thing to do was tuck the ball and run towards the guy laying in the ground.

Zeke had plenty of time to make his cut.
But if you want to not believed that, fine, throw it to juju.
Hell avoid the guy laying in the ground and hit gesicki (Or Henry whoever is in the seam left to right) deep that was coming open too.

Being afraid to throw and tripping over a guy on the ground is how you end up with 11 net offensive TDs in 10 games.

If we are assigning blame for the season, part must go on the fact that the Patriots refused to use the credit card that virtually every other team in the league uses to push some of the cap expense out into the future. Because of that, they cheaped out on receivers and the OL. Add some injury bad luck and here we are - a broken QB. At some point during this game he got hit hard enough to require X-rays after the game. The poor OL play has messed with Mac's head - that's why he's throwing ducks off his back foot rather than stepping into the throw.

How do you not throw to juju right here 1699995090764.png

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back