PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Edelman being underestimated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO if Edelman sees over 800 snaps, he'll catch at least 60 balls. Bank it (according to me which means nothing :D ).

Not sure what kind of yardage he'll pick up as it it will depend if he runs out of the slot or split out. Hes not as shifty as WW but hes bigger and faster on a straight-line.

I'm sure he'll be more involved in the KR/PR games as well.

Edelman is no Wes Welker but he is a more than adequate back up. He played much bettrer than anyone had a right to expect given both his draft slot and the change from QB to WR. He also battled an arm injury (was tthat a broken bone?) that forced him to miss several games and limited his participation in others. Still, he displayed some real toughness in trying to play through the injury.

Edelman may well prove to be more athletic than Welker - bigger, stronger, faster. No one in the league can match Welker's quickness and toughness in the slot. However, he has been used so much and taken so many hits over the past three years, you have to wonder how long he can keep it up.

There's clearly more depth and competition at WR than we've seen in a while. We can hope that this means that the Patriots can be patient with Welker's recovery and that the team will have more weapons and a better balanced attack.

Holt, Patten, Tate and Price will compete for the WR spot opposite Moss - none of these guys will get any significant number of snaps at the slot.

The really interesting addition is Hernandez. He could really add a new dimension to the offense.

IMO if Edelman sees over 800 snaps, he'll catch at least 60 balls. Bank it (according to me which means nothing :D ).

Not sure what kind of yardage he'll pick up as it it will depend if he runs out of the slot or split out. Hes not as shifty as WW but hes bigger and faster on a straight-line.

I'm sure he'll be more involved in the KR/PR games as well.

If the past is any indication, if Edelman's on the field for 800 snaps, he'll probably catch about 100 passes. . . .

However, he has been used so much and taken so many hits over the past three years, you have to wonder how long he can keep it up.

I agree with most of what you said except for this. Welker is very good at staying low and doesn't take many hard hits.

I'm optimistic with Edelman because of how incredibly fast he has learned. I don't see him as "Welker's backup" but it's definitely likely that he will remain our 2nd best slot receiver to Welker in 2010. I do expect him to see more snaps with Welker healthy than he did last year. His ceiling isn't slot-receiver/Welker's backup.

I would not be so fast in saying that Edelman will be "much better" this year. For one thing, when he came out of the slot, he frequently got picked up by the under zone which is to say he got no respect. Naturally that would not happen with Welker who you would try to hammer underneath with an over the top spy (Saints). I think that if you see any combination of Welker or Edelman with a 2 TE, even in a 3 WR 1 TE set, the defense will likely go MOFC, four under, etc. to respect vertical seams. Rather than will and sam move zone on eye reads, they align to the slot read.

I think he's being VASTLY underrated. I'm of the opinion his rookie season was one of the most amazing rookie displays of the last decade....when you consider.

1. He never played the position AT ANY LEVEL prior to being drafted by the Pats.
2. He had to adapt to one of the most complex passing offenses in the league.
3. He played most of the season with a broken arm

So if what they say is true, and players make their biggest jump in playing ability between their rookie and second year, how much better do you think Edelman can be? :D

Just look at the fact. He has more straight ahead speed than Welker. His 3 cone time was one of the best at his combine (I wonder how it compared to Welker's) He has proven that he has decent hands (which can improve), and is tough enough to play underneath.

Its his upside that intrigues me. It will be another 2 seasons, at least, before we see the "finished" product of what Julian Edelman can be.

IMHO I think the season will start with Holt on the outside competing with Patten and Price for the back up role. Tate will back up Edelman as well as work outside. Holt can also work the slot. Another thought is that THIS year a guy like Hernandez can give us a different kind of slot receiver. On based on size rather than quickness. Hernandez will be an interesting watch. Not only to see his progress, but the ways the Pats will use him.

Ben Watson, was the most talented TE we ever had (I'm speaking talent guys), and look at what happened with him.

Quite the pair of "talented" hands. :rolleyes:

Actually, I think you're talking athleticism, not talent. Then I'd agree with you.

"I served with Wes Welker, I knew Wes Welker, Wes Welker was a friend of mine. Mr. Edelman, you're no Wes Welker."

Lloyd Bentsen commenting on the wide receivers in NE.

I think he's being VASTLY underrated. I'm of the opinion his rookie season was one of the most amazing rookie displays of the last decade....when you consider.

1. He never played the position AT ANY LEVEL prior to being drafted by the Pats.
2. He had to adapt to one of the most complex passing offenses in the league.
3. He played most of the season with a broken arm

Its his upside that intrigues me. It will be another 2 seasons, at least, before we see the "finished" product of what Julian Edelman can be.

Co-sign and for all those reasons he deserves to emerge from Wes' shadow and be "judged" (for lack of a better word at this moment) on his own merit. To me it's not either/or, I'm selfish and personally I want them BOTH out there. I want Julian to develop as Julian and not necessarily just as a replacement for Wes, though he'll do an awesome job at that whenever he's called upon to do so.

Good stuff pfk. I'm SO psyched for this season:singing:

Last edited:
Last edited:
That's a great find Kasmir, thanks. I wonder who DID draft this kid, Long. It will be interesting to see how he fairs. Clearly a great cone time didn't help Jackson, who didn't have the "head" to go along with those quick feet..

Bingo. What makes Wes special is in his chest and between his ears.

Impressive, but it's also clear that the 3-Cone time is not capturing what's exceptional about Welker.

Welker, IIRC, had an unofficial short shuttle time in the 3.9s, like Edelman's.

"I served with Wes Welker, I knew Wes Welker, Wes Welker was a friend of mine. Mr. Edelman, you're no Wes Welker."

Lloyd Bentsen commenting on the wide receivers in NE.

Yet.

Edelman's Welker-like numbers, when he had them, were deceptive, if we stipulate that the coverage he faced was rather different from what Welker would have "enjoyed."

But as Ken pointed out, he could hardly have been LESS experienced when he put them up. He still has a lot of potential to get much better.

Overestimated. Way over estimated.

And he does not know how to avoid a hit; he will be a physical wreck by week 4 if he makes it that far.

First of all, Edelman played in 7 games last year and recorded 37 receptions. That averages out to 5 receptions per game. Secondly, Edelman was, in effect, the WR4 in our offense. It went: Moss, Welker, Aiken, Edelman when he was healthy.

First of all 5 catches per game for a rookie is outstanding. Over a full 16 games that projects out to 80 catches for the season.

Second of all Aiken is a crappy option at WR and the real reason he is on this team is special teams. Once Aiken is the 6th WR or off the roster, then I'll have confidence that the Pats WR corps is shaping up.

Third of all, I like Julian Edelman. And I also like the savy, veteran presence that Holt brings to the table. The receiving game should be better and more diverse in 2010, especially when you also account for Gronk, Hernandez, Price, and a healthy Tate. Adding Welker back into the mix when he has healed should make the Pats passing attack VERY hard to stop.

Quite the pair of "talented" hands. :rolleyes:

Actually, I think you're talking athleticism, not talent. Then I'd agree with you.

Word. Ben Watson is by no means the most talented tight end we've had. He is not fit to hold Ben Coates' jock. You might say he was the most athletic tight end in certain measurements like straight line speed. He ran a fast 40. So what? What did he do with that? Not as much as would have been expected. Not enough for the Pats to want to pay him to stay. Let's move on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe