PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Dont’a Hightower Done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its Donta AKA Hightower I got alot of playing to before I retire and got more of Krafts cash to waste lets make it happen.
They say Donta you's a linebacker but you never stop nothing youve been training for a long time and you always pop something. We pay you like a play maker but you cant cover nothing.
Damn Homey at Alabama you were the man homey the fuk happened to u In coverage you getting shredded run a few steps and dead it playing like you stuck in bad weather.
You looked good but I know you after Krafts Chedda want to cripple the salary cap homey we wont let ya be ez you on the field with the same slow 2 steps slow enough to get the whole field hit New England Patriots cuz they say the defense sucks now we cant cover a highschool tight end we stuck in mud now.

Its Donta AKA Hightower I got alot of playing to before I retire and got more of Krafts cash to waste lets make it happen.
They say Donta you's a linebacker but you never stop nothing youve been training for a long time and you always pop something. We pay you like a play maker but you cant cover nothing.
Damn Homey at Alabama you were the man homey the fuk happened to u In coverage you getting shredded run a few steps and dead it playing like you stuck in bad weather.
You looked good but I know you after Krafts Chedda want to cripple the salary cap homey we wont let ya be ez you on the field with the same slow 2 steps slow enough to get the whole field hit New England Patriots cuz they say the defense sucks now we cant cover a highschool tight end we stuck in mud now.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Injuries can hit players fast. Mayo was done at the age of 29 after a couple of injuries. It's the same with Hightower. I'd trade him now for anything I could get otherwise you are simply releasing him in the spring.

Injuries can hit players fast. Mayo was done at the age of 29 after a couple of injuries. It's the same with Hightower. I'd trade him now for anything I could get otherwise you are simply releasing him in the spring.
Before letting him go I'd even try using him as a down lineman so his pursuit and coverage liabilities might be diminished. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Yeah, I know Belichick’s a genius and everything, but trading first round picks for one year of a wide receiver doesn’t seem to work out that well.
Pats got that pick back (actually a higher one)

Before letting him go I'd even try using him as a down lineman so his pursuit and coverage liabilities might be diminished. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Agree. There's a clip in the re-watch thread that shows him fighting through a block to make the tackle on Johnson. Move him down to the DL and go back to utilizing 2 LBs (Bentley and KVN) more often.

Flowers and Wise, too. After that, it's all downhill.
Danny Shelton needs to figure things out. The guy played well as a run stuffer for Cleveland, I don’t know where on Earth that has been this year.

I do, unfortunately, think Hightower may be done. D. McCourty, too. It's perfectly possible both of them round into form but they haven't given us any reason to be optimistic. If they are in fact done for, that's a mighty big blow to this defense to have two of their better players and leaders fall off a cliff in the same season.

I think a trade for a competent LB and/or S is borderline essential at this point. I'm more optimistic about the DL because I think Shelton and Brown are talented but under-performing, not to mention the possibility of promoting Valentine to the active roster; Flowers should be returning soon, too.

But, yeah, LB and S is worrisome. I want to see (a) trade(s) there. Tyrann Mathieu would've been a good signing this past offseason and he didn't command much money, iirc.

There is a move out there. McCourty has been bad for this year and part of last. Most poisters do not want to hear that.
Cousins we have two second Rounders. One of those and Harmon the the Seawaks for Earl Thomas. We'll screw up the second round anyway (what is your confidence level seeing our last Drafts that we'll find a player better than Thomas in Round 2?).
Thomas is a game day trend setter. BB went out to grab Harrison albeit a FA for the same reason Thomas is younger than McCourty or at (29) Harrison was.
Watched him play yesterday. Yes the numbers will be high but production will be tremendous and his emotional leadership is compelling.
Malcom Brown might be a trade target as well.
DW Toys
Danny Shelton needs to figure things out. The guy played well as a run stuffer for Cleveland, I don’t know where on Earth that has been this year.
Better than Malcom Brown.
DW Toys

He really didn't, though. He was a disappointment in Cleveland.

Because he didn’t do anything outside of stuffing the run, which is disappointing for a high first round pick.

Here he isn’t even doing that.

He wasn't doing it there either.

He wasn't doing it there either.
Best player under 25 years old at every defensive position | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus
From 2017:

“As a rookie in 2015, Shelton was underwhelming, but he took a huge step forward in his second year, becoming the run-stuffing force the Browns had hoped. He dominated as a disruptive run defender, notching 39 stops in the run game, a figure only Giants interior defender Damon Harrison could better, and one that was six clear of any other defensive tackle.”

He really didn't, though. He was a disappointment in Cleveland.

Perhaps a disappointment relative to his draft position but at the very least he was a serviceable interior DL who helped slow down the run. He was never a force, per se, but he was a better player than he showed last night ... he was beyond atrocious. Malcom Brown, too.

Best player under 25 years old at every defensive position | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus
From 2017:

“As a rookie in 2015, Shelton was underwhelming, but he took a huge step forward in his second year, becoming the run-stuffing force the Browns had hoped. He dominated as a disruptive run defender, notching 39 stops in the run game, a figure only Giants interior defender Damon Harrison could better, and one that was six clear of any other defensive tackle.”

PFF. If he was that good, he wouldn't have been available. I watched him with the Browns and we're basically seeing the same guy that he was there thus far.

Yeah, I know Belichick’s a genius and everything, but trading first round picks for one year of a wide receiver doesn’t seem to work out that well.

Pats got that pick back (actually a higher one)...
...plus a 6th-rounder, but at the cost of Two 3rd-round picks...so we still got the shorter end of the draw.

The whole idea of Shelton being our run stuffing savior was blown out of proportion, in my opinion. He has the tools to be a big body, but some people were acting like he was going to be the second coming of Wilfork.

The whole idea of Shelton being our run stuffing savior was blown out of proportion, in my opinion. He has the tools to be a big body, but some people were acting like he was going to be the second coming of Wilfork.

I did think he would improve our run d from a year ago. I was wrong to think that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes