PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Brady Entering his final year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a source close to the team who says brady wants to play until he's 45.

Seriously, it would be funny if they moved on after the coming year (after winning the sb) and brady won two more superbowels with another team. And wonderboy jg flamed out like so many other young phenoms. It would serve them right. Then history would be written "how the pats let the goat walk away and kissed their dynasty goodbye forever".

I think bb screwed up by not taking the picks, improving the team greatly and drafting say peterman in the later rounds. Most likely brady wins another superbowel, they let jg walk for a 3rd comp. Franchising him would risk too much cap if you couldn't trade him.

Pretty simple math: Brady and BB are in their golden years within their respective professions. Both are very financially secure. Both break their backs plying their crafts. Both can move on and do nearly anything they want without killing themselves. All of that adds up to each year could be the last for one or both of them.

As to deciphering the mental state of each and whether one or both will hang it up this year?
m8b1.jpeg
Bb would walk away? And do what? His life is football. He's not a guy digging ditches dreaming about hitting the lottery and walking away. What exactly would he do? Play golf all day and wait around to die? He's at the top of his game living a dream.

What would brady do? Hang around with gisele all day?

A man needs a purpose in life, theirs is football.

I can't and I am saying Brady has 3 seasons left. When he hits 43 years old it would almost be comical if he was still an MVP candidate.

Brady had 1 of his greatest seasons last year, I have never seen Brady throw the touch passes with the accuracy he did.. ever. But he isn't super human and 3 years is a long time in the NFL and now Brady is going to keep getting better when he hits 40 years old? That doesn't even make sense.

You're a great poster but I don't understand this position. Brady is still playing at an elite level and could deliver one or two more Super Bowls over the next two or three years. JG has not played one complete season let alone a playoff game. IF JG is as good as Aaron Rodgers that may mean one or two trips to the Super Bowl over the next ten years if we're lucky. IF JG is only as good as Philip Rivers we may not see a trip at all.

The most important ability of a QB is to read defenses pre and post snap. Arm strength etc... are secondary. Brady reads defenses and has seen every trick in the book better than any QB in NFL history. JG has had 6 quarters worth of reading defenses and against teams that have not yet had the luxury to gather any game film on him yet. JG could have six great games and fall to mediocrity for the rest of his career for all we know. BB does not know how good JG will be. There isn't anyway to definitely know that until after a few seasons. But one thing we do know is that there will never be another Brady. He is a once in a century type player. He's like a Babe Ruth and do not want my grandchildren to have to deal with the Brady curse fifty years from now.

Age is relative to a player. Brady's 40 or 43 is much different than Ben Roethlisberger's 40 or 43 because of the way they play, take care of their bodies and their diets. Brady may have a similar health as an average 35 year old QB. IOW, when you say it's because Brady is 40 it sounds like you think all 40 year olds experience the exact same deterioration which just isn't true in football or in life.

Statistically, Brady's last five years have been better than his first five years. He is faster than when he was drafted. He reads defenses better than anyone in the league and he is playing without any pressure on his shoulders because of his last two SB victories. His legacy is written in stone and nothing can take his accomplishments away from him and because of that he is the most dangerous QB in the league and because of that he is just having fun. He's not pushing for his long awaited fourth ring and he's not pushing for the vindicating fifth ring. Nope. Now he is just playing for fun and for his teammates. That is freaking dangerous.

I will never understand a trade a known champion for an unknown possibility argument. To me that's possibly throwing away a potential Lombardi or Lombardis. BB would never do that.

Seriously, it would be funny if they moved on after the coming year (after winning the sb) and brady won two more superbowels with another team. And wonderboy jg flamed out like so many other young phenoms. It would serve them right. Then history would be written "how the pats let the goat walk away and kissed their dynasty goodbye forever".

I think bb screwed up by not taking the picks, improving the team greatly and drafting say peterman in the later rounds. Most likely brady wins another superbowel, they let jg walk for a 3rd comp. Franchising him would risk too much cap if you couldn't trade him.
You can rescind the tag so no risk other than temporarily tying up space.

I honestly have no idea , JG is an unknown. But he seems to have the physical gifts and with BB and the coaching staff I think he would be fine. Brady is the best of all time, but his time as that top 3 QB could start to dip. I think he will be great this season but after that who knows.

Assumptions- Lets just say Bill thought JG was going to be a very good QB, when his contract is up Brady will be 41. I think we can safely say Bill values JG pretty highly, we don't know exactly what was offered but from the get go we heard that JG was untouchable and it would take 3 1st arounders and 2 2nd rounders to attain him. If thats true, thats very telling.
How can you make an argument by making something up and saying if that's true it's very telling?

I can too. What if BB was only asking for a 3 and no one offered it. If that's true it's very telling.

Perhaps they just feel that Brissett isn't ready to come in and win them multiple games in the event that the unthinkable happens again. Garoppolo is a veteran with a pretty good handle on this offense and the Pats would have gone 4-0 with him as the starter this last year had he not taken that hit against Miami. The team is loaded right now and there wasn't a lot of room for draft picks to come in and contribute immediately at anywhere except OL, DL, and LB. This draft was deep enough at those positions to where they could sit back and wait to pick. If Brissett isn't anywhere near ready, it makes more sense to just keep Garoppolo for at least another year. If Brady is still playing like Brady at the end of the 2017 season, either franchise him and see what you can get or just cut bait with JAG.

We are talking about trading Brady when he is on the verge of eclipising Jordan as the sports GOAT?

His 4th made him the best QB ever
His 5th made him the best football player ever
His 6th will make him the best sports player ever

Damn, I want to see 7.

Slow your roll.
When Brady gets his 12th then you can perhaps talk about him being the sports player ever.

You're a great poster but I don't understand this position. Brady is still playing at an elite level and could deliver one or two more Super Bowls over the next two or three years. JG has not played one complete season let alone a playoff game. IF JG is as good as Aaron Rodgers that may mean one or two trips to the Super Bowl over the next ten years if we're lucky. IF JG is only as good as Philip Rivers we may not see a trip at all.

The most important ability of a QB is to read defenses pre and post snap. Arm strength etc... are secondary. Brady reads defenses and has seen every trick in the book better than any QB in NFL history. JG has had 6 quarters worth of reading defenses and against teams that have not yet had the luxury to gather any game film on him yet. JG could have six great games and fall to mediocrity for the rest of his career for all we know. BB does not know how good JG will be. There isn't anyway to definitely know that until after a few seasons. But one thing we do know is that there will never be another Brady. He is a once in a century type player. He's like a Babe Ruth and do not want my grandchildren to have to deal with the Brady curse fifty years from now.

Age is relative to a player. Brady's 40 or 43 is much different than Ben Roethlisberger's 40 or 43 because of the way they play, take care of their bodies and their diets. Brady may have a similar health as an average 35 year old QB. IOW, when you say it's because Brady is 40 it sounds like you think all 40 year olds experience the exact same deterioration which just isn't true in football or in life.

Statistically, Brady's last five years have been better than his first five years. He is faster than when he was drafted. He reads defenses better than anyone in the league and he is playing without any pressure on his shoulders because of his last two SB victories. His legacy is written in stone and nothing can take his accomplishments away from him and because of that he is the most dangerous QB in the league and because of that he is just having fun. He's not pushing for his long awaited fourth ring and he's not pushing for the vindicating fifth ring. Nope. Now he is just playing for fun and for his teammates. That is freaking dangerous.

I will never understand a trade a known champion for an unknown possibility argument. To me that's possibly throwing away a potential Lombardi or Lombardis. BB would never do that.

The main reason why I think something is up, is because they didn't move JG this off season. His value will never be higher and according to reports the Patriots asking price was off the charts. I think after the Super Bowl most people would have traded JG for the 12th over all pick straight up and would have been happy doing so. It made sense? You get a high draft pick along with everyone else you signed and assuming Brady plays at least 3 more seasons, you would have time to groom another QB.

Not only that but I heard reports even before Schefter came out and said the Patriots are not moving JG no matter what. According to someone in the Patriots organization "I would be shocked if they traded Jimmy G" and then a few weeks later Schefter comes out and says JG is not going anywhere.

Me personally just those facts/reports alone raise red flags.

I suppose the Patriots could franchise and trade JG next season, but if they think he is that good to pass up on a lot of draft stock and then trade him away when Brady is a year older... it doesn't really make sense to me anyway.

The obvious thing to do would have been to trade JG for a 1st and a 2nd or whatever the offer was, and used one of those extra picks on a QB in 2018. But they didn't do that.

From what I heard Cleveland would have traded 1 1st and 2 2nd rounders for him. We obviously don't know what the final offer was.

These are things we hear through various outlets and we don't know what's truth and whats BS, but there seems to be an awful lot of smoke.

How can you make an argument by making something up and saying if that's true it's very telling?

I can too. What if BB was only asking for a 3 and no one offered it. If that's true it's very telling.

Seriously?

We are talking about trading Brady when he is on the verge of eclipising Jordan as the sports GOAT?

His 4th made him the best QB ever
His 5th made him the best football player ever
His 6th will make him the best sports player ever

Damn, I want to see 7.

Why the H8 for Boston's Bill Russell, greatest championship winner EVAH!!!

The main reason why I think something is up, is because they didn't move JG this off season. His value will never be higher and according to reports the Patriots asking price was off the charts. I think after the Super Bowl most people would have traded JG for the 12th over all pick straight up and would have been happy doing so. It made sense? You get a high draft pick along with everyone else you signed and assuming Brady plays at least 3 more seasons, you would have time to groom another QB.

Not only that but I heard reports even before Schefter came out and said the Patriots are not moving JG no matter what. According to someone in the Patriots organization "I would be shocked if they traded Jimmy G" and then a few weeks later Schefter comes out and says JG is not going anywhere.

Me personally just those facts/reports alone raise red flags.

I suppose the Patriots could franchise and trade JG next season, but if they think he is that good to pass up on a lot of draft stock and then trade him away when Brady is a year older... it doesn't really make sense to me anyway.

The obvious thing to do would have been to trade JG for a 1st and a 2nd or whatever the offer was, and used one of those extra picks on a QB in 2018. But they didn't do that.

From what I heard Cleveland would have traded 1 1st and 2 2nd rounders for him. We obviously don't know what the final offer was.

These are things we hear through various outlets and we don't know what's truth and whats BS, but there seems to be an awful lot of smoke.

My main point is if Brady wants to play and is playing at an elite level there is no way BB would bench him or trade him and start JG. It wouldn't make any sense. Age wouldn't be a factor. IMO.

But after today and Gisele's comments I do wonder how much longer Brady will want to or be allowed to play.

Btw: I too think Cleveland offered a lot to get JG.

Pretty simple math: Brady and BB are in their golden years within their respective professions. Both are very financially secure. Both break their backs plying their crafts. Both can move on and do nearly anything they want without killing themselves. All of that adds up to each year could be the last for one or both of them.

As to deciphering the mental state of each and whether one or both will hang it up this year?
m8b1.jpeg

Just had an odd thought. What are the statute of limitations for Brady to file a civil lawsuit against the NFL for deflategate? Is it five years?

Somebody needs to drag Adam Schefter into a dark alley and find out what he knows. If you recall, it seems like the Pats flipped a switch on Garoppolo between "maximizing ROI" and "not for sale at any price." Schefter first reported it... somebody told him something.

Slow your roll.
When Brady gets his 12th then you can perhaps talk about him being the sports player ever.
We can't compare NBA championships in the 60's to SB victories in the present

There were only around 12 NBA teams back then

Brady > Russell

The fact is Bobby Orr was the most talented when compared to his peers. Nether Russell nor Brady stand out as much as Orr did compared to those they played against

Last edited:
We can't compare NBA championships in the 60's to SB victories in the present

There were only around 12 NBA teams back then

Brady > Russell

Bill Russell elevated more players into the HOF than another player evah,, he made everyone who played with him better. See what happened to the Celtic team when he retired, after winning a walk off championship.

Most never saw Bill Russell play so don't appreciate just how great he was. The talent was concentrated into fewer teams every team had very good players.

no picks were offered for Jimmy. He was overvalued by Pats fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back