PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Brady Entering his final year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're a great poster but I don't understand this position. Brady is still playing at an elite level and could deliver one or two more Super Bowls over the next two or three years. JG has not played one complete season let alone a playoff game. IF JG is as good as Aaron Rodgers that may mean one or two trips to the Super Bowl over the next ten years if we're lucky. IF JG is only as good as Philip Rivers we may not see a trip at all.

The most important ability of a QB is to read defenses pre and post snap. Arm strength etc... are secondary. Brady reads defenses and has seen every trick in the book better than any QB in NFL history. JG has had 6 quarters worth of reading defenses and against teams that have not yet had the luxury to gather any game film on him yet. JG could have six great games and fall to mediocrity for the rest of his career for all we know. BB does not know how good JG will be. There isn't anyway to definitely know that until after a few seasons. But one thing we do know is that there will never be another Brady. He is a once in a century type player. He's like a Babe Ruth and do not want my grandchildren to have to deal with the Brady curse fifty years from now.

Age is relative to a player. Brady's 40 or 43 is much different than Ben Roethlisberger's 40 or 43 because of the way they play, take care of their bodies and their diets. Brady may have a similar health as an average 35 year old QB. IOW, when you say it's because Brady is 40 it sounds like you think all 40 year olds experience the exact same deterioration which just isn't true in football or in life.

Statistically, Brady's last five years have been better than his first five years. He is faster than when he was drafted. He reads defenses better than anyone in the league and he is playing without any pressure on his shoulders because of his last two SB victories. His legacy is written in stone and nothing can take his accomplishments away from him and because of that he is the most dangerous QB in the league and because of that he is just having fun. He's not pushing for his long awaited fourth ring and he's not pushing for the vindicating fifth ring. Nope. Now he is just playing for fun and for his teammates. That is freaking dangerous.

I will never understand a trade a known champion for an unknown possibility argument. To me that's possibly throwing away a potential Lombardi or Lombardis. BB would never do that.
Tom Brady will long outlast "Jimmy" here in NE

Bill Russell elevated more players into the HOF than another player evah,, he made everyone who played with him better. See what happened to the Celtic team when he retired, after winning a walk off championship.

Most never saw Bill Russell play so don't appreciate just how great he was. The talent was concentrated into fewer teams every team had very good players.
Though it is true that athletes are greater today than in the past, the old argument about more teams is total folly. The bottom half of ALL four sports leagues is total ****e.

Take the NBA, if you dropped all the bottom half of the league or more and had just the top ten teams or so.. it would still be ridiculously impressive to win 8 championships in a row, and 11 out of thirteen.

And the extra playoff rounds don't mean anything, because the bottom feeders suck. (Cavs, 9-0 so far) Celtics in 80s were consistently not challenged until the conference finals.

We can't compare NBA championships in the 60's to SB victories in the present

There were only around 12 NBA teams back then

Brady > Russell

Today's talent is diluted among many teams. Back then the best players were spread over fewer teams making competition tougher. Regardless how you rationalize it, the dozen championships vastly exceeds less than a half dozen Lombardis where several NFL teams' 46 are crap.

The main reason why I think something is up, is because they didn't move JG this off season. His value will never be higher and according to reports the Patriots asking price was off the charts. I think after the Super Bowl most people would have traded JG for the 12th over all pick straight up and would have been happy doing so. It made sense? You get a high draft pick along with everyone else you signed and assuming Brady plays at least 3 more seasons, you would have time to groom another QB.

This is where some opinions differ, we need to take into consideration that although your points are valid, they don't apply to the patriots as much as they would for most of the other teams.

Considering Brady's age and risk for injury, JG's salary is well worth keeping him should Brady suffer a career ending injury. You need a solid backup. JG is a great backup.

The patriots do a much better job making stars out of 3rd rounds and undrafted players than they are with their 1st rounders. This lowers the value of what a 1st round pick means to them, rightfully so. Thats why their supposed asking price was probably ridiculously high... because thats what it would take to give up their solid insurance plan with JG being paid short change for one more year.

If Brady stays healthy and has another stellar year, Jimmy is out because now his cost of insurance if far greater than what he is worth.

Today's talent is diluted among many teams. Back then the best players were spread over fewer teams making competition tougher. Regardless how you rationalize it, the dozen championships vastly exceeds less than a half dozen Lombardis where several NFL teams' 46 are crap.
On the contrary. You have to be the best of 32 rather than 12 or whatever it was then.
The dilution of talent makes it harder to win more championships.
By the way you compete against the 2nd best for championships not the crap teams.

No, all 12 had concentrated talent vs talent diluted over 32.

Best guy on a BB team has much more value than the best guy on a football team. Some say 4 times more. So using that as a basis 5 Lombardis would be the equivalent of 20 O'briens. :D

Again if Brady regresses Jimmy G will get a chance to win the job immediately.
I wouldn't of thought before this season we would pay Jimmy G top 5 Money to keep him but after not trading him for a bounty.
And backing up a truck for Gilmore.
This is a new cap strategy we are seeing go very young and kind of cutting off the older middle pay players to pay top performers and then draft or pick up young untapped talent.
High ceiling low floor kind of roster.

We can't compare NBA championships in the 60's to SB victories in the present
There were only around 12 NBA teams back then

Consider today's NBA and the success of Lebron James over the past few years. Recently his only formidable competition has been the Warriors and Spurs.

But let's do a thought experiment.

Eliminate the bottom 14 teams in the league, immediately, and disperse the best players on the now-defunct teams to the remaining 16 teams.

Sure, Lebron might pick up another good teammate. But perhaps the Celtics also pick up Anthony Davis, the Raptors get Porzingus, the Bucks get Hassan Whiteside, the Pacers get Karl Anthony Towns, etc.

In a compacted league, Lebron has one less round of playoffs to get through, but is his road to a title easier? He may suddenly face a non-zero number of worthy opponents in the East.

This thought experiment isn't the perfect analogy to a pre-expansion NBA, but it does make you think that a bigger league is not necessarily better. It might give you way more cupcakes.

Another way to think about it, in a 12 team league Russell faced Hall-of-Fame centers Wilt, Walt Bellamy, and Nate Thurmond. 3 of 11 opposing centers (27%) are Hall-of-Famers. How many teams does Lebron face with a hall-of-fame center? Maybe 1 of 31, Anthony Davis, 0.3%? How many teams does Lebron face with a hall-of-fame SF? Durrant, Kawhi, maybe Paul George, maybe Jimmy Butler, maybe Giannis Antetokounmpo. That 5 of 31, tops, 16%, being generous.

A 31 team league lets the few true superstars feast forever on cupcakes.

Last edited:
I think there's a distinct possibility that the Brady camp has reached out quietly to Belichick and his crew and let them know that he's considering hanging up his cleats and that's why we still have Jimmy G.

And the apparent mistake by Gisele was entirely intentional?

Again if Brady regresses Jimmy G will get a chance to win the job immediately.
I wouldn't of thought before this season we would pay Jimmy G top 5 Money to keep him but after not trading him for a bounty.
And backing up a truck for Gilmore.
This is a new cap strategy we are seeing go very young and kind of cutting off the older middle pay players to pay top performers and then draft or pick up young untapped talent.
High ceiling low floor kind of roster.

And what if Brady is the best player in football again this season? And my prediction is that he is going to be just that.

He couldn't possibly fall waayy off the cliff in one season can he? Peep these 3rd down numbers below:

And it was by far the best in the league:

Bill Russell elevated more players into the HOF than another player evah,, he made everyone who played with him better. See what happened to the Celtic team when he retired, after winning a walk off championship.

Most never saw Bill Russell play so don't appreciate just how great he was. The talent was concentrated into fewer teams every team had very good players.
I saw Russell play and he was incredible. But he didn't have as much natural talent as Bobby Orr when compared to his peers.

As far as championships, it would be impossible for any NFL team to win 10 straight SB's. You can't compare championships between the NBA & the NFL.

I still say Brady > Russell. Brady is the GOAT at QB and maybe the greatest football player of all time

I saw Russell play and he was incredible. But he didn't have as much natural talent as Bobby Orr when compared to his peers.

As far as championships, it would be impossible for any NFL team to win 10 straight SB's. You can't compare championships between the NBA & the NFL.

I still say Brady > Russell. Brady is the GOAT at QB and maybe the greatest football player of all time

My dad says the same thing about Russ . He was as a student at Northeastern in the 60s saw him play dozens of times. NBA.com has a bunch of old games. Ive watched them...sad.

He described Russ as combination of Dennis Rodman, Ben Wallace-type who ran like a deer, an incredible leap and seemed to have a 6th sense on timing on steals, blocks and switches. He says his quickness was ridiculous. He could cover guards, forwards and centers.

Offensively my dad feels he always held himself back a little as that was his philosophy but was certainly never a talented offensive player. His thinking was, 'Why shoot when the team has better shooters than me?'. Russ reasoned it was better for him to focus on defense and stop opponents from scoring 2 points as his chances of stopping two points was better than trying to score two points when others can do it better as a 4 point swing is better than a 2 point one.

Its that logic as to why they won 11 out of 13 titles. He knew his role and thats why they won and won and won.

You realize the population of this region and the talent scouting efforts are far greater today than they were in the 1960s. With better scouting tools and a larger population to draw from, not to mention far more money in pro sports if you're a player due to the advent of free agency, I would lay down good money that the talent spread out over 32 teams today is FAR SUPERIOR to the talent spread out over 12 or 16 teams when our fathers were children.

You must not have read Post # 249 which explains this to you in detail

"A 31 team league lets the few true superstars feast forever on cupcakes."

I saw Brady play and he was incredible. But he didn't have as much natural talent as Aaron Rogers, Peyton Manning, etc. when compared to his peers.

Fixed the obvious errors in your post for you.
Post 255 describes Russell's UNIQUE approach to the game well. It made him a Championship Machine.

So is your own. And you have to beat 31 teams not 11.
If you are saying a champion in a 12 team league has more talent than a champion in a 32 team league you are correct.
But I think you are saying it's more difficult to win a championship (it multiple ones) in a 12 team league than a 32 team league and that is incorrect.

Last edited by a moderator:
You must not have read Post # 249 which explains this to you in detail

"A 31 team league lets the few true superstars feast forever on cupcakes."
Beating the worst teams doesn't produce championships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News