PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Seymour comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
since everyone thinks pats will pick ingram if possible, they will most definitely trade out and pick someone else...
SOmeone that will make us all go "HUH?" in April and "WOW" when the season starts, like...McCourty

DL, that's what we'd use a high pick on. Plus, we have tons of quality picks. If what we want is a downhill runner, they are available well after the top of the first round.

While using that first pick on Ingram (or, as others have suggested, a WR) is very tempting, it makes a lot more sense to find Seymour's long term replacement at DE with that pick.

Depending on the improvement of both Deaderick and Brace on top of Ty Warren's health, we might not need to find Seymour's replacement in the draft. But I do agree that finishing off the front seven is probably going to take top priority in the draft. In that case, we may want to look at Marcell Dareus if he enters the draft. He plays in Saban's two-gapping 3-4 at Alabama and would be the most ready to come in and contribute from Week 1 on. This is assuming, of course, that Dareus' NCAA investigation goes south and he decides to jump ship and come to the NFL.

Still, though, using the higher first round pick on the best RB in the land isn't that far fetched.

Isn't this kid often injured?

It seems that the general consensus in the league is that good RB's can now be found in later rounds. Is everyone sure this kid might not fall to our Carolina pick?

No, he's not that often injured as it's portrayed in the media. Yes, good RB's can be found later on. No, there is absolutely no chance in Hell that he'll fall to our Carolina pick unless he suffers some devastating injury at some point throughout this season (I.E. torn ACL on top of a compound fracture).

Since a lot of you Bostonian yanks don't appear to appreciate good, physical, southern style SEC college football (either that or you're living under a rock, don't know what the hell you're missing, and just don't watch college football), let me give you Ingram's 2009 Heisman highlight video...

YouTube - Mark Ingram(#22)- Official 2009 Heisman Highlights

Last edited:
Ingram is a stud, no doubt. But I just don't see them taking a RB that high, unless it's a truly elite prospect.

Last edited:
thems fightin' words ,Reb...

civil_war_soldiers-union_confederate.GIF

Ingram is a stud, no doubt. But I just don't see them taking a RB that high, unless it's a truly elite prospect.

As someone else in the Draft forum said, I don't see BB not NOT doing anything. :cool: If he thinks enough of Ingram as the best player available, Ingram will be in a Patriot uniform next season. And I'll be the first to purchase his jersey.

Excellent combination of size, speed, and power.

Last edited:
As someone else in the Draft forum said, I don't see BB not NOT doing anything. :cool: If he thinks enough of Ingram as the best player available, Ingram will be in a Patriot uniform next season. And I'll be the first to purchase his jersey.

Which of course translates to "not seeing BB do anything", someone messed up in their usage of a triple negative.

Yeah, I'm not opposed to the pick. It would just come as a surprise to me, especially after Maroney.

Of course, my opinion on the likelihood of such a pick is, to a great degree, correlated to BJGE's performance for the duration of the season.

I like Tysheeno's comment under the video I just posted from six days ago...

He's gonna be a patriot

Ingram reminds me a lot of Emmitt.

I will say though that the more I think about the pick, the more I warm to the idea.

I will say though that the more I think about the pick, the more I warm to the idea.

Nah, it's just the Soulja Boy song on top of me being an expert internet salesman. :cool:

I hope he drafts another tight end just so I can watch this board go into meltdown.

I hope he drafts another tight end just so I can watch this board go into meltdown.

My bet is on a trade back. With guys like quinn, green, ingram, etc... on the board. :eek:

There will be 30 pages of meltdown!

Its not that I don't think that adding Ingram, or any other first round RB wouldn't improve our offense, but the question is by how much. Right now our current #1 RB is averaging a very healthy 4.6 ypc and he's a UDFA. And he's proof positive that good running backs can be found all over the draft. Not only that, there will be several decent, proven NFL back readily available this off season.

Picking the so called "dominant RB" has always been a very risky venture, with what seems like more misses than hits. And that was when the prevailing offensive philosophy was to run first. Even the good ones are subject to injury at any time. Now the game has evolved into a passing league and as long a Brady is here, this will be a pass first offense.

If the Pats are lucky enough to get a top 10 draft pick, I'm certain the goal will be to find the best 3-4 DE available. Even with Warren coming back and hopefully continued improvement from Brace, Pryor and Deadrick, we will need a top notch player that will make our OLBs look better than they are....and it will likely take a year before that happens.

After that, I can see us starting to retool the OL with an early pick. Remember the Carolina
2nd is likely to be a top 3 pick in the round, and there will definitely be some top level talent available at that spot, especially at the G and C positions

The bottom line here is that while you tend to find good RBs and WRs all over the draft, low risk, impact DLmen are generally found at the very top of the draft. Since we all hope that it will be unlikely that the Pats will be drafting anytime soon a the top of the draft, we can't miss that rare opportunity the Seymour trade gives us. That being said, I wouldn't have any problem with taking a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round

Last edited:
Its not that I don't think that adding Ingram, or any other first round RB wouldn't improve our offense, but the question is by how much. Right now our current #1 RB is averaging a very healthy 4.6 ypc and he's a UDFA. And he's proof positive that good running backs can be found all over the draft. Not only that, there will be several decent, proven NFL back readily available this off season.

Picking the so called "dominant RB" has always been a very risky venture, with what seems like more misses than hits. And that was when the prevailing offensive philosophy was to run first. Even the good ones are subject to injury at any time. Now the game has evolved into a passing league and as long a Brady is here, this will be a pass first offense.

If the Pats are lucky enough to get a top 10 draft pick, I'm certain the goal will be to find the best 3-4 DE available. Even with Warren coming back and hopefully continued improvement from Brace, Pryor and Deadrick, we will need a top notch player that will make our OLBs look better than they are....and it will likely take a year before that happens.

After that, I can see us starting to retool the OL with an early pick. Remember the Carolina
2nd is likely to be a top 3 pick in the round, and there will definitely be some top level talent available at that spot, especially at the G and C positions
That being said, I wouldn't have any problem with taking a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round

I've been saying this a few times.

I would much rather look to acquire some veterans for the defense through free agency or trade than through the draft. I would LOVE to see Ingram come to New England.

Au contraire. I never ever want to see the Patriots burn another high pick on a RB unless we know for sure he is the next coming of Adrian Peterson. BB has had some problems drafting offensive skill players.

The Patriots primary numero-uno need is a pass rushing DE or LB. They should use the Oakland pick for that. A fancy RB won't do much good if the defense cannot get off the field.

The bottom line here is that while you tend to find good RBs and WRs all over the draft, low risk, impact DLmen are generally found at the very top of the draft. Since we all hope that it will be unlikely that the Pats will be drafting anytime soon a the top of the draft, we can't miss that rare opportunity the Seymour trade gives us. That being said, I wouldn't have any problem with taking a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round

The Hoodie will trade down 3-8 spots, pick up a truck load of picks, talk about value, drive everyone nuts with a "what the hell kinda pick is that" and then quietly take defense on day two. Everyone will go nuts that Ingram was on the board and he passed...

Being serious for a moment, I'd love to see Ingram and I think the pick fits a need, where we have and age problem at RB other than Law Firm. However, we still haven't found a way to consistently rush the passer, even with Tully. My take is he'll take a DE/LB.

Since a lot of you Bostonian yanks don't appear to appreciate good, physical, southern style SEC college football (either that or you're living under a rock, don't know what the hell you're missing, and just don't watch college football), let me give you Ingram's 2009 Heisman highlight video...

YouTube - Mark Ingram(#22)- Official 2009 Heisman Highlights

Dude thanx for posting that.

I was in that group that kinda thought he was a little hyped. That vid changed my mind, He isn't the fastest guy but he seems like a tremendous churner jus keeps going. He seems to know just what he wants to do with it and seems to process information quickly.

His heisman speech also impressed me, genuine and intelligent. I'll be rooting for him whether he is a patriot or not in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes