PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Seymour comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

p8ryts

In the Starting Line-Up
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This is from Walterfootball.com mock 2011 first round and has NE picking Mark Ingram

8. New England Patriots: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
How stupid was this trade for the Raiders? They acquired a lethargic, overrated defensive lineman in exchange what projects to be a top 10 pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.

If Tom Brady and Wes Welker are healthy, and Rob Gronkowski or Aaron Hernandez continue to play well, imagine how explosive New England's offense would be with Mark Ingram as a threat coming out of the backfield. I don't need to tell you how huge of a need the running back position is for the Patriots.

I would love it. Ingram, despite his bad outing against South Carolina, is a beast. As for the rest of the quote, I have a feeling that this thread is going to be a nice, long trip down Memory Lane.

Ingram would be a beast in this offense. But the defense looks to be a more pressing need yet again.
If he lasts to the Pats later 1st round pick, I'd be thrilled to pick him then.

Last edited:
I am okay with that pick....but I disagree with this one....

New England Patriots: Allen Bailey, DE/DT, Miami
I was pretty surprised that the Patriots passed up on Jared Odrick and allowed him to fall into enemy hands. Bill Belichick failed to address the 3-4 end position in the 2010 NFL Draft until very late, so he'll have to do that here.

Allen Bailey is a great bargain at No. 20. Bailey has always maintained incredible athleticism, but is finally putting it together this season.

Unless BB is trading up from the #32 spot, we ain't drafting #20. :D

A little harsh on Seymour.

I think the man has earned the rating he has recieved. I agree with the assesment on the trade but why take it out on Big Sey because the Raiders made a dumb move.

Walterfootball is a crappy site.

Last edited:
I would much rather look to acquire some veterans for the defense through free agency or trade than through the draft. I would LOVE to see Ingram come to New England.

I would much rather look to acquire some veterans for the defense through free agency or trade than through the draft. I would LOVE to see Ingram come to New England.

I'd rather have a veteran too, but 3-4 guys are rare and extremely expensive. You've got to bring them through your system.
Obviously experience helps, but an inexperienced /promising rookie will be more or less effective as off the bat as an experienced/limited veteran. And thats all we can get out of FA.

The knock on Seymour is totally uncalled for. Can you name one 3-4 end who was as good and complete as Seymour during this past decade?

Thats what i thought. The only person close might be Aaron Smith (perpetually underrated)

Don't like picking a RB that high.

Love the Bailey pick, but like others have said, no way we're picking at 20 ;)

The author does a point that Seymour hasn't impressed this year at all. On the other hand, whether that makes up for last season or not I shan't touch with a ten foot pole.

Last edited:
I would be exstatic if we added Ingram. It would open up so many possibilities.

The knock on Seymour is totally uncalled for. Can you name one 3-4 end who was as good and complete as Seymour during this past decade?

What does his past performance have to do with anything? The authors comment was spot on. It is, and was, a horrible, horrible trade for the Raiders.

since everyone thinks pats will pick ingram if possible, they will most definitely trade out and pick someone else...

I'll be shocked if the pick goes RB, of course I'm shocked with almost every draft.. But If Oakland holds the course and gives us a top 5 picks, I'd be happy if we drafted a young defensive stud (ie Seymour, Merriman, Mayo,Ware.. players in year 1 who make an impact)..

If we're going RB, why not go after the kid from Carolina.. D Williams.. I'm not advocating to break the bank but the kid is a beast and would flurish with Tom Brady handing him the ball

Changing gears.. Remember there are players, drafted high, who will not turn out the way we thought and be gone before you know it.. ..We'll need to address that position with another draft pick.. So I'm game if we draft defense heavy again..

But as a few of you mentioned, adding veteran presence might be the key.. and I think we'll hve that once Warren and Bodden come back.. Back 4 would be a different story if Bodden was out there..

What does his past performance have to do with anything? The authors comment was spot on. It is, and was, a horrible, horrible trade for the Raiders.

"...lethargic, overrated defensive lineman..."

I think the trade was great for the Pats, and was happy with it when it happened. I just saw this statement as an indictment of his body of work, not just his present condition. In hindsight perhaps you're right that it refers to 09 Seymour, who was overrated considering his remaining ability.

As for being lethargic, his motor was fine when he was here. I can't imagine being imprisoned in Oakland is good for his motivation.

people have to stop assuming we will pick in the top 10 with that raider pick. yes it could happen, but the raiders look a lot better than they have in years. that win against the chargers could give them some confidence...

Isn't it BB's philosophy that a top-10 pick, or a high first-rounder, must be a 3-down player, in addition to other position-specific criteria?

Thus, if nobody is available who can contribute in both running and passing situations, isn't BB likely to...

... wait for it ...
...trade down for value? LOLz. :p

Last edited:
While using that first pick on Ingram (or, as others have suggested, a WR) is very tempting, it makes a lot more sense to find Seymour's long term replacement at DE with that pick.

Isn't this kid often injured?

It seems that the general consensus in the league is that good RB's can now be found in later rounds. Is everyone sure this kid might not fall to our Carolina pick?

The only thing that makes this scenario possible at all is the Belichick/Saban connection, but i don't think Belichick would ever draft a skill position play so high, especially when you can find a quality runningback in the 2nd and 3rd round. This is the same reason that i don't think the patriots draft A.J Green.

The Patriots will draft a Defensive end, Cornerback, Tackle or perhaps linebacker, but i cant really see them drafting anyone else with a top 10 pick if there isnt anyone they like, they will do what the always do, trade for value.

i would love mark ingram or any other highly drafted RB, and the patriots are certainly in the market. we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back