PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting perspective on Collins pick - includes info from college teammate

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In Bill I Trust: Why Jamie Collins is a Great Pick | nePatriotsLife.com - New England Patriots Fan Site, Blog, T-shirts

Includes the following quotes from Kyle Sloter, who is a QB for Southern Miss:

"Jamie is a stud. He is the best athlete I've ever seen with my own eyes. If he had gone to Auburn like he planned to originally, he'd be a first round pick. The dude dunks like LeBron when I played basketball with him. He's a freak. He'll be a long time pro. He'll definitely start." Sloter responded to me in a text after I asked if the Patriots made a good decision. He went on, "I guarantee he ends up being your best draft pick. For his size, he may be the best athlete in the draft. He jumped 41.5 inches [in the vertical jump] at the combine and set the all time record for the broad jump."

Commenting on the criticisms on his NFL teammate, Kyle Sloter conceded that it could be true at times, but he went on to dispel the criticism overall due to its simplicity. "What a lot of people don't realize is that the most defensive plays he say out in a game was three plays. We didn't even have a second string behind him and we were four deep at the other end because he didn't need one and never came out. His motor is actually unbelievable considering most ends play every other series."

There is no doubt Collins is a numbers freak, probably the best Combine measurables of any Pat's draft pick since the combine started. I have no doubt he can bring those attributes to the field. I just think that it may take a season or 2 before we see his complete talent surface. I bet BB takes it slow with Collins, situational pass rusher, maybe only plays on 3rd down in the start.

This explains a lot. Probably was gassed if he was playing all the snaps. In a situational role year 1 hell hopefully have a lot of burst.
And do so well into January and early February.

This explains a lot. Probably was gassed if he was playing all the snaps. In a situational role year 1 hell hopefully have a lot of burst.

I was just watching the Southern Miss-Nebraska tape, and it definitely looked like he noticeably wore down as the game went on. He was dominant in the first half, but later in the game he started getting pushed off the line and didn't seem to have the same burst. Understandably so.

I've liked this pick from the beginning, and these quotes confirm my initial beliefs.

This kid is a athletic freak, can see him in all kinds of roles.. pass rush, covering TE's, blocking FG's... etc. It will take time though.. so patience is needed.

Also love his story, kids like this amaze me, as most in his situation give in.. real strength of character..

When i first saw we picked an LB i thought 'WTF' cause i thought we are going for WR for sure, but then i saw him and i really liked the pick. i think that Arther Brown is the best LB in this class but he is not that far off.

I was just watching the Southern Miss-Nebraska tape, and it definitely looked like he noticeably wore down as the game went on. He was dominant in the first half, but later in the game he started getting pushed off the line and didn't seem to have the same burst. Understandably so.

That bodes well for us, I thought a true OLB that can cover and rush the passer was a need and wasn't too pissed about the pick except the motor concerns. If those are due to being run down by a dumb coaching staff then this will work out very nicely for us.

That bodes well for us, I thought a true OLB that can cover and rush the passer was a need and wasn't too pissed about the pick except the motor concerns. If those are due to being run down by a dumb coaching staff then this will work out very nicely for us.

Definitely. He seemed really comfortable rushing the passer from two point and three point stances, and seemed reasonably comfortable dropping into coverage. Only watched one game's tape, but in that tape I only saw one real screw up in a handful of snaps dropping into coverage. Makes sense, having played safety as a freshman he should be comfortable in coverage.

I just think that it may take a season or 2 before we see his complete talent surface. I bet BB takes it slow with Collins, situational pass rusher, maybe only plays on 3rd down in the start.

I seem to recall the same thing being said about a certain Mr. Chandler Jones this time last year. (Well, one can hope.) :D

I've liked this pick from the beginning, and these quotes confirm my initial beliefs.

This kid is a athletic freak, can see him in all kinds of roles.. pass rush, covering TE's, blocking FG's... etc. It will take time though.. so patience is needed.

Also love his story, kids like this amaze me, as most in his situation give in.. real strength of character..

Athletically, he reminds me of Lavar Arrington. Lavar like to free-lance and not play in a structured system. That's why he never became the player he should have.

Jamie Collins | Southern Miss, OLB : 2013 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Arrington was 6'4" 250 and ran a 4.53. He could also jump thru the roof.

*Lavar Arrington | Penn State, OLB : 2000 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

I remember watching this pick, and thinking, "WTF, we already let some good WR's come off of the board, and I don't even know who this guy is ". Then while watching the film on the screen right after they picked him, saying "Wow look at that, woh look at that sack, look at that speed, look at that hit". He had a 97 yard INT return for a TD, that tells you about his athleticism.

he reminds me of LeRoy Butler the way the packers used him a lot at the line and would hide him on blitz, and I think that's the way BB will use him he's a big safety that can also rush the passer

How long have Pats fans been collectively whining for the (effective) pass rush? The truth is, we have some good WRs, but none in Randy Moss's class. And, because Welker left, we're buggin' out about the position(s) overall. Honestly, Dobson appears to be a fine pick. So, what difference does the draft order make if the teams finds it (positional) players? Nobody cares what slot Gronk and Hernandez arrived in- never mind the QB!

The bottom line is: Who will be healthy- on the field -and playing for the town team? How many free agents have been acquired, only to be let go in training camp?

On Collins...I'm already seeing the Mayo/Mankins after-the-draft turnaround; one of those "Hey, this guy is pretty good" deals. The rest will play itself out on the field. Cheers!

How long have Pats fans been collectively whining for the (effective) pass rush? The truth is, we have some good WRs, but none in Randy Moss's class. And, because Welker left, we're buggin' out about the position(s) overall. Honestly, Dobson appears to be a fine pick. So, what difference does the draft order make if the teams finds it (positional) players? Nobody cares what slot Gronk and Hernandez arrived in- never mind the QB!

The bottom line is: Who will be healthy- on the field -and playing for the town team? How many free agents have been acquired, only to be let go in training camp?

On Collins...I'm already seeing the Mayo/Mankins after-the-draft turnaround; one of those "Hey, this guy is pretty good" deals. The rest will play itself out on the field. Cheers!

Same thought has occurred to me, as well. I never thought I'd see the day that this board would be upset to see that the Pats picked an athletic freak who can rush the passer.

Thread title completely tricked me. I thought the discussion was about Jason Collins coming out today. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes