PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Patriots Offensive Totals Through 9 Weeks

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Was just digging through some things and found these numbers interesting:

He's got similar totals through 9 games as he did during his rookie year, save for fewer yards and two more interceptions.

Also, here's a look at the passing totals by distance through 9 games from 2023 compared to 2022:

2023 Receiving By Distance:
1699667362265.png

2022 Receiving By Distance:
1699667340787.png

Obviously, they had significantly more passing plays of over 20yds last year compared to the same point this season, and these are Zappe, Hoyer, and and Mac's combined totals.

Rushing totals are equally disturbing:

2023 Rushing Totals Through 9 Games:
1699667548188.png

2022 Rushing Totals Through 9 Games:
1699667589394.png

Again, certainly surprising and definitely explains some things. I had a feeling the rushing totals were significantly less, but didn't expect it to be off by that much.

Good stuff. That’s mind boggling as far as the stats. He seemed so conservative in that first season. I wonder if he was always this erratic? I don’t remember him being this terrible and the oline and receivers being that bad. Regardless, in year 3 you would expect a lot more improvement in every area of the game which would naturally dwarf year 1’s stats. One thing is for sure, the running game was a lot better in his first two years. Watch as Ian inserts some stat that disproves that theory too.

• ThankU!
Reactions: Ian
Good stuff. That’s mind boggling as far as the stats. He seemed so conservative in that first season. I wonder if he was always this erratic? I don’t remember him being this terrible and the oline and receivers being that bad. Regardless, in year 3 you would expect a lot more improvement in every area of the game which would naturally dwarf year 1’s stats. One thing is for sure, the running game was a lot better in his first two years. Watch as Ian inserts some stat that disproves that theory too.
No, you're right on that also:

2021 Rushing totals through 9 Games:
1699670289709.png

As you mentioned, you would have expected some growth but clearly the offensive line and ground game have been bad, which has played into that and he's still throwing off his back foot, etc, and that can't continue.

Obviously, things have improved along the offensive line the last couple of weeks somewhat, but it may end up being too little, too late given where they are right now.

So the numbers are consistent. They routinely score under 20 points. Last year the defense gifted the offense many defensive tds and field position.

It's really the level of the competition that has increased plus the defense has regressed because of injuries.

The offense has been bad for 4 seasons and you can argue Bradys last season was bad too. You cheap out and don't pay you don't get stars.

As bad as the offense has seemed this season, 10 teams have fewer yards from scrimmage. The Pats have four of them on the upcoming schedule -- Giants, Steelers, Broncos and Jete (Note that the latter three have played eight games to New England's nine. The Jete are dead last in the league offensively. :thumbsup: )

They've never trusted Mac. Remember the buffalo wind game with two passes? Last season Patricia wanted to throw deep and get parker going but Mac turned it over they reverted to a running team. Time to move on.

They've never trusted Mac. Remember the buffalo wind game with two passes? Last season Patricia wanted to throw deep and get parker going but Mac turned it over they reverted to a running team. Time to move on.
I agree. Find it weird how the running game has struggled this season. If they were seeing 8 and 9 man fronts every game it could be explained I guess. I know teams are teeing off on his mistakes and don’t respect Macs game but it is concerning for the next qb as well. Oline certainly isn’t blameless of this mess.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
As bad as the offense has seemed this season, 10 teams have fewer yards from scrimmage. The Pats have four of them on the upcoming schedule -- Giants, Steelers, Broncos and Jete (Note that the latter three have played eight games to New England's nine. The Jete are dead last in the league offensively. :thumbsup: )

Pats also haven’t had their bye week yet so not sure if that was accounted for?

I agree. Find it weird how the running game has struggled this season. If they were seeing 8 and 9 man fronts every game it could be explained I guess. I know teams are teeing off on his mistakes and don’t respect Macs game but it is concerning for the next qb as well. Oline certainly isn’t blameless of this mess.
I’d like to see game by game rushing stats. The OL was terrible at the start of the season, but has been better recently. So I’m wondering if the decline was in early games and the past month or so they’ve been running better.

I’d like to see game by game rushing stats. The OL was terrible at the start of the season, but has been better recently. So I’m wondering if the decline was in early games and the past month or so they’ve been running better.
You can check/uncheck each game to look at those too however you’d like on the last three seasons. I put these together to make it easier to look things like this up because I couldn’t find another site that made it easy allowed to view down/quarter/both, so I just ended up setting up my own on here and it’s obviously available to everyone as well.

You can check/uncheck each game to look at those too however you’d like on the last three seasons. I put these together to make it easier to look things like this up because I couldn’t find another site that made it easy allowed to view down/quarter/both, so I just ended up setting up my own on here and it’s obviously available to everyone as well.
that’s beautiful. I can’t decide whether my first priority is geeking out about the stats, or about how your programmed that!

at a quick glance the two best rushing totals were against the Jets and Washington, not the pattern I expected. But I’m not investing much time in it now as I’ve been intending to log off and go to bed for the past hour…

He's got similar totals through 9 games as he did during his rookie year, save for fewer yards and two more interceptions.

Also, here's a look at the passing totals by distance through 9 games from 2023 compared to 2022:

View attachment 54467

View attachment 54465

Obviously, they had significantly more passing plays of over 20yds last year compared to the same point this season, and these are Zappe, Hoyer, and and Mac's combined totals.

View attachment 54468

View attachment 54469

Again, certainly surprising and definitely explains some things. I had a feeling the rushing totals were significantly less, but didn't expect it to be off by that much.

One thing nobody talks about is
If you look at the stats from last year to this year, the numbers aren’t better, yet most posters here constantly criticize Patricia because he is a defense minded coach
The offense this year isn’t better with an offense minded coach , so maybe we should pump the breaks and argue about the talent on offense

I disagree agreeing here

They've trusted Mac enough to get TT early and Harry a little before. Problem is, they drafted 2 turds.

To me, it's concerning that Mac has plateau'ed if not downgraded a few years into the pro system. Stats and eyes dont lie often and they don't in Mac's case. He has some fault too

But a running team... I don't know if this works in today's NFL. It's all about air attack

View attachment 54467

View attachment 54465

View attachment 54468

View attachment 54469

the 2021 distance numbers blow those away, so while they may look similar in totals, they aren't.

thru 9 games
2021 204 completions, for the season Adjusted Net Yards per Pass Attempt (any/a - full season) 6.22
2022 204 completions (not counting the 3 games he missed + chicago) if we count chicago, it totals less, any/a full season 5.36
2023 197 completions, any/a - thru 9 games 4.85

a 1.6 yard difference between '21 and '23... in a game of inches, over a yard and a half difference is huge

edit - took the stat image out, realized it was full season total for 2021... cant figure out how to limit it to 9 games - will add back in when i do

edit 2 - figured it out - the '21 numbers thru 9 are clearly better... makes sense considering the adjusted net yards are a yard and a half better per reception...
arhL1A2.jpg

and these numbers illustrate just how important jakobi meyers was... still chaps my ass that he was not re-signed,

Last edited:
If you look at the stats from last year to this year, the numbers aren’t better, yet most posters here constantly criticize Patricia because he is a defense minded coach
The offense this year isn’t better with an offense minded coach , so maybe we should pump the breaks and argue about the talent on offense

OL and receivers are probably worse, though. No third down back. Competition is better.

There isn’t enough talent on offense.

Iirc, last year they also reverted to Patriot staple plays and formations after a lot of experiments that didn’t go well.

I’ll always believe the Pats winning the wind game in Buffalo with Mac throwing 3 passes is the moment he lost his ROTY bid.

Using those passing numbers his yards per attempt is exactly a full yard less in 2023 than it was in 2021. Not ideal.

Or the qb

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back