PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interest in James Bradberry?

I try to avoid watching really bad football teams. And the Giants have been one of the worst in the league for a while so I am not that familiar with the player in question. If he can help the team, if he is an upgrade over one of the corners we already have, I'm all for it. Depends on the price

I just posted this in the FA thread, but Bradberry was pretty bad last year.

He gave up the most TD's, 3rd most yards and 3rd in targets. He was picked on a lot.

I'd like it (a vet outside CB would complete their secondary) but seems likely that they will be outbid by a team with more cap space (which includes 30 other teams).

The only chance may be if Bradberry loves Judge, recognizes that he is getting paid by the Giants anyway (not sure how much) and would be willing to sign a one-year deal, before hitting free agency next year, in hopes of scoring one final contract with significant guaranteed money, knowing that less free agency money is available at this point in the offseason. .

The article that I read said he was rated the number 7 CB in the NFL. Not disputing the facts RainMaker provided. Highlighting how hard it is to determine a players capability.

He was bad last year because of the head coach. ;-)

Last edited:
The article that I read said he was rated the number 7 CB in the NFL. Not to disputing the facts RainMaker provided. Highlighting how hard it is to determine a players capability.

7th Best was 2020. Last year he regressed quite a bit.

Looks like only $2 million of his 2022 salary is guaranteed? That is not as favorable from a Patriots standpoint

At this point in the off-season, I would be very surprised if he was offered a contract with $20 million of guaranteed money in 2022. If he is willing to bet on himself to have a bounce-back year, he is probably better off signing a one-year deal before entering free agency again at age 29 next offseason (with a “no franchise” clause). For instance, if he signs of one-year deal for $10-12 million (fully guaranteed), he will have $12-14 million of guaranteed money in his pocket. The team signing him can add a couple of void years to the contrast, to reduce his 2022 cap number.

Here is the remaining cap space for all but the bottom few teams (wouldn’t fit on the screen). Keep in mind that many teams have already spent most, if not all, of their free agency budget already, multiple teams have capped out the number of meaningful contract restructurings and the cornerback-needy teams have already addressed the position during the draft their cornerback needs in the draft, at least partially.

Compare that to the projected cap space for 2023.
A132F540-62A2-444B-9060-000D0D587F45.jpeg

That is not to say that he won’t receive several multiyear offers in the coming days. He likely will, but yes he performs at a 2020 level this year, his earning potential next off-season is much higherThat is not to say that he won’t receive several multiyear offers in the coming days. He likely will, but if he performs at a 2020 level this year, his earning potential next off-season should be much higher.

Attachments

• CFD02360-9F3C-4139-83E7-5F076E564AA7.jpeg
    CFD02360-9F3C-4139-83E7-5F076E564AA7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
The article that I read said he was rated the number 7 CB in the NFL. Not to disputing the facts RainMaker provided. Highlighting how hard it is to determine a players capability.

Seems like you were joking but it is notable that he he had perhaps his best season of his career in 2020, with judge as his head coach.

Looks like only $2 million of his 2022 salary is guaranteed? That is not as favorable from a Patriots standpoint

At this point in the off-season, I would be very surprised if he was offered a contract with $20 million of guaranteed money in 2022. If he is willing to bet on himself to have a bounce-back year, he is probably better off signing a one-year deal before entering free agency again at age 29 next offseason (with a “no franchise” clause). For instance, if he signs of one-year deal for $10-12 million (fully guaranteed), he will have $12-14 million of guaranteed money in his pocket. The team signing him can add a couple of void years to the contrast, to reduce his 2022 cap number.

Here is the remaining cap space for all but the bottom few teams (wouldn’t fit on the screen). Keep in mind that many teams have already spent most, if not all, of their free agency budget already, multiple teams have capped out the number of meaningful contract restructurings and the cornerback-needy teams have already addressed the position during the draft their cornerback needs in the draft, at least partially.

Compare that to the projected cap space for 2023.
View attachment 43009

That is not to say that he won’t receive several multiyear offers in the coming days. He likely will, but yes he performs at a 2020 level this year, his earning potential next off-season is much higherThat is not to say that he won’t receive several multiyear offers in the coming days. He likely will, but if he performs at a 2020 level this year, his earning potential next off-season should be much higher.

No way this guy is worth 10-12 mill a year.

Maybe not but just in the past 2 years he’s had 35 PD’s and 7 INT’s.
PDs are meaningless out of context. If you are thrown at all day long you are going to have PDs and also allow a lot of plays. 7 ints in 2 years for a starting corner is not that good.

No way this guy is worth 10-12 mill a year.

I didn’t say he is worth it after a down 2021 but I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets it.

PDs are meaningless out of context. If you are thrown at all day long you are going to have PDs and also allow a lot of plays. 7 ints in 2 years for a starting corner is not that good.
I’m not one of those people who discounts some stats to prop up an argument. So and so has 100 yards rushing but 1 of those runs was for 50 yards…so take that away and his day wasn’t so great. If he had 35 PD’s at CB1 in 2 years playing against the top WR’s in the league…then he had 35 PD’s in 2 years playing against the top WR’s in the league. That is context.

You know I won’t argue…this is my last response.

I’m not one of those people who discounts some stats to prop up an argument. So and so has 100 yards rushing but 1 of those runs was for 50 yards…so take that away and his day wasn’t so great. If he had 35 PD’s at CB1 in 2 years playing against the top WR’s in the league…then he had 35 PD’s in 2 years playing against the top WR’s in the league. That is context.

You know I won’t argue…this is my last response.
35 PDs against 35 completions is not the same as 35 PDs against 135 completions. It’s only common sense. A high # of PDs is not a necessarily positive statistic. It like saying a corner made 12 tackles. That’s not very good if that means he allowed 12 catches.
All stats need context.

It's all dollars and cents.

If he's available for the right price (and Judge gives a thumbs up) they will sign him.

With 31 other teams, though, someone will likely offer more.

We didn't pay JC or Gilmore....No way will we pay him more than a "team friendly" deal. If he can help us, I'd be all for bringing him in and competing with Malcom and Jones....I feel in this NFL, you can never have too many good corners. We saw it last year in the playoffs against Buffalo when we couldn't get off the field.

The Pats don't have enough cap space to sign their putrid draft class, let alone anyone who could actually, you know, help the team.

It seems like BB is intent on throwing 2022 away, and hopes for better in 2023

The Pats don't have enough cap space to sign their putrid draft class, let alone anyone who could actually, you know, help the team.

It seems like BB is intent on throwing 2022 away, and hopes for better in 2023
Are you a Yankees fan because this is classic entitled snowflake NY ****e. Spoiled, sackless fans.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back