PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inside the most dysfunctional Pats season under BB

I don't think a lot of people are giving Bill a free pass. It seems like most everyone says Bill ****ed it up, either by letting Patricia run it or by taking a direct hand in it himself. It's just that not everyone wants to go to the fansite of their team and air their grievances from the past season and beyond as much as some others do. Some people just want to move on to talking about fixing it.
The season just ended for us two weeks ago. We spent 6 months watching a train wreck offense and have no more of a clue if Mac can play than we did this time last year. We wasted an entire year because Bill decided to piss it away on making his friend the OC instead of going out and getting a guy but we are supposed to just shut up about? I will never understand the notion that we as fans owe the team anything. They owe it to us to put out the best product they possibly can and no one in their right mind can say they did that this season.

I don't think a lot of people are giving Bill a free pass. It seems like most everyone says Bill ****ed it up, either by letting Patricia run it or by taking a direct hand in it himself. It's just that not everyone wants to go to the fansite of their team and air their grievances from the past season and beyond as much as some others do. Some people just want to move on to talking about fixing it.
No, we are not allowed to do that. First, we must genuflect and beg forgiveness. Then we must disown Bill Belichick three times before the rooster crows. Finally, we must put his head on a spike in front of the Pats HoF as a warning to all who pass these gates. After, we must b!tch about it here for a number of months, to be determined at a later date. There may be self flagellation involved as well.

theon greyjoy GIF

Balanced alternate view. Respect that .

I was not commenting on agholor or Jonnu as person, the fleecing was more with respect to how their performance is commensurate for the dollars. As for agholor his fumbles and drops have lost us more games than his play has won. So in that regard it's a miss.

Wynn was already performing sub optimally and had health issues and attitude issues prior to 5th year . Signing his tag was something that was universally condemned in 4th year not something that I came up now.

Spending 25 million on TE without having game plan is criminal . We just spent so much because we couldn't draft , nor develop players . And in the end the net results are there to see. 45 + million across Wynn, agholor, Henry and Smith . It's retrospective but reflects the poor assessments and in teams with 2 or more losing seasons gets the GM fired. I am not saying we need to do the same .but we need to acknowledge we have a problem . No point buttering it up just because bill has won six rings while having the GOAT QB. I understand rebuilds take a while but this year's experiment essentially put a reset clock on rebuild and again we are starting at year 1 . Bengals did a reset in 2 years with Burrow.

Again Burrow and Mac are not same . But if we say we have an advantage in coaching , that did not come up . We played or stank at jets level this year .

Regarding Michel, bust might be a strong word. I retract that . But you don't draft bell cows at 31 when you can get similar production in lower rounds Harris, rham, Pacheco, pollard etc. That was a water of draft pick .

The very fact that we have not resigned any of our first rounders since McCourty tells me we have been really missing the mark and brady and scar making up for the whiffs. Now that they are not there it's plain vanilla to see.

I am a big bill supporter but I just think offense ( playcalling and drafts ) needs to be handled independently of Bill . The game has changed and unfortunately bill has not kept up with how teams are built on offense . Majority of 2021 investment on free agents is biting in dust . Leave apart Judon and Bourne , rest of the contracts are nothing home to write about . Mills is okay but has been frequently injured and godchaux and Henry are average. Henry this year was wasted completely.

Now you can say it's because of Patricia , but the blame for that goes to Bill .

Again I am no Bill hater and would love to see How bill adjusts and proves naysayers like me wrong . But we need to acknowledge that things were wrong so that we make suitable adjustments . Can't be middle of pack for next 3-4 years.

Need to have a goal for afc championship in next 2-3 years . Anything less than that severely diminishes bills stature as we inch towards Shula's record.

Andy Reid is within striking distance of Bills postseason records. Chiefs have gone to 5 consecutive AFC championships . We haven't won a postseason in 4 years . That's all to say .
I think we had reigned Hightower but its' been a long time between drinks which coincides with First Round Busts.

I think we had reigned Hightower but its' been a long time between drinks which coincides with First Round Busts.
U r right. I missed HT and probably solder too..but quite a while ago...

The season just ended for us two weeks ago. We spent 6 months watching a train wreck offense and have no more of a clue if Mac can play than we did this time last year. We wasted an entire year because Bill decided to piss it away on making his friend the OC instead of going out and getting a guy but we are supposed to just shut up about? I will never understand the notion that we as fans owe the team anything. They owe it to us to put out the best product they possibly can and no one in their right mind can say they did that this season.
Intrigued.
schitts creek what GIF by CBC

They owe it to us to put out the best product they possibly can and no one in their right mind can say they did that this season.
Yup that's true. Yup, Bill eff'd it up. Do we need to rehash the same chit for the next 6 months, staying mad at them like they are to GD Red Sox, or can we, you know, get on to Cincinnati?

Bill couldn't get anything for Brady as he couldn't be franchised tagged.
BB got the same thing for Brady as Tampa will: a huge hole in the salary cap for trying to bring back the band one last time, and no starter-grade QBs on the roster either.

Yup that's true. Yup, Bill eff'd it up. Do we need to rehash the same chit for the next 6 months, staying mad at them like they are to GD Red Sox, or can we, you know, get on to Cincinnati?
Well when an article just came out late last week detailing just how much of a dumpster fire it was are we supposed to ignore it? I don't know understand the homer gatekeeping that goes on on this site. I mean look at the title of this thread. If you thought you were coming in here for sunshine and rainbows then I don't know what to tell you. People are mad and they have every right to be and we are a long way off from mini camp, OTA's, and training camp, so yes, we are going to discuss the season that just ended 5 minutes ago especially when there is new light shed on the situation. Once the draft rolls around a lot of the talk will die off and people will start moving onto next year but this season isn't even over yet.

What have you seen the last 3 seasons to make you believe we're headed in the right direction, not counting hope?

What you're excited about is exactly what you were excited about a year ago and what'd that get you? Bill is not leading this team deep into the playoffs in the next 2 seasons.
The defense was one of the best in the NFL this year. If the offense and ST had been competent, we are easily in the playoffs. The biggest weakness of this team is fixed with a competent/good OC. BB saw his mistake and fixed it immediately that is very encouraging. BOB should be able to take a huge load off of BB's plate and free him up to do all the important HC duties that he wasn't able to do as well as he usually does. On offense I like that MAC responded and played well/better after his injury and didn't turn the ball over much, Thornton started looking more comfortable as the season went on (year two with BOB will be telling) and Rham had a great year as a top tier RB with improved use in the passing game. We have one of the best pass blocking OL-men in the league in our 1st round rookie draft pick and I am convinced that we will improve our OL with more reinforcements. We have a good amount of cap space and draft picks for this off-season and with the recent success in the draft I am encouraged it will continue. On top of that, despite the fcuk up by BB in having MP coach the offense, I still feel our HC (BB) is still one of the best in the league.

People do not want to talk about fixing it though, that's just the thing.

To fix something you need to analyze what it is that needs fixing. You need to open everything up for evaluation. When you do that, the only conclusion is that Bill as HC is no longer cutting it. We can go over a myriad of things that have happened the last 3 seasons (or even going back to 2019) to see this.

Instead, people want to move forward with more of the same. The same talking points from last season:
1. With another year in the system, these FA players will be better;
2. With his 3rd season, Mac will be better;
3. We have enough talent to be a contender;
4. This coaching staff is good enough to make a deep run in the playoffs.

Yet, none of the above has been true. Some fans just want to live in the past and HOPE things will be as they always were. Others clearly see what's happened and aren't satisfied w/ the outcome. Both sides want the team to improve but let's be honest, one side doesn't want to have an honest debate about it.

Well when an article just came out late last week detailing just how much of a dumpster fire it was are we supposed to ignore it? I don't know understand the homer gatekeeping that goes on on this site. I mean look at the title of this thread. If you thought you were coming in here for sunshine and rainbows then I don't know what to tell you. People are mad and they have every right to be and we are a long way off from mini camp, OTA's, and training camp, so yes, we are going to discuss the season that just ended 5 minutes ago especially when there is new light shed on the situation. Once the draft rolls around a lot of the talk will die off and people will start moving onto next year but this season isn't even over yet.
Personally I read it as a knock against stuff like the re-legislation of the Sony Michel draft pick that just happened in this thread, not a knock against reviewing this current article.

To fix something you need to analyze what it is that needs fixing. You need to open everything up for evaluation. When you do that, the only conclusion is that Bill as HC is no longer cutting it. We can go over a myriad of things that have happened the last 3 seasons (or even going back to 2019) to see this.

Instead, people want to move forward with more of the same. The same talking points from last season:

Yet, none of the above has been true. Some fans just want to live in the past and HOPE things will be as they always were. Others clearly see what's happened and aren't satisfied w/ the outcome. Both sides want the team to improve but let's be honest, one side doesn't want to have an honest debate about it.
Dunno, the conversation seems to be:
1) We have some talent and the cap/picks to add some talent.
2) Most people seem to be saying this is his make/break year and that he doesn't have a terrible OC as an excuse. We also have Zappe, who will have a chance to prove what he's got with a better OC/QB coach.
3) We were ****ty playcalling and poor ST away from being in the playoffs. People think BoB might be enough to take care of the playcalling and if Judge is moved to ST, maybe that's better too.
4) They're still building this coaching staff... like literally doing interviews today.

I think both the people who want to turn the page and those who want to air grievances believe your last statement is true, but about the others.

Look, I am not saying Bill didn't eff it up. I read the article and I listened to the podcast. Bill eff'd up royally. What does being mad about it get me? Zip. Do I sit here and b!tch that the Krafts don't fire him? I don't see they will ever fire him. Look, this team returned my emotional and financial commitment to them way better than I could have imagined, so yeah, there's a lot of goodwill at my house. I get disappointed when they lose, but I don't get pissed off at them. The seems to me is there's a lot of you guys that like being mad at them. You all roll around in it like a kid playing in a pile of leaves in the fall. Some of you are mad about the Bill/Brady divorce and haven't moved on. It's just not how I choose to spend my time being a fan. I want to see what they are going to do to fix it. I am interested to see if Bill even can fix it. If you look at the history of the league and the "dynasties", no one has been able to rebuild it once it ended. I doubt very much he can, but I do have faith in the Krafts to right the ship and steer Bill and the coaches who will come after Bill. So, yeah, I want to move on. It happened, and it's on Bill's permanent record, as is the fact that he can't win without Brady, which a lot of people here love to talk about. So you'll excuse me if I look at y'all who want Bill gone and like being mad at them and think that you guys are crazy for not appreciating what we had for an unprecedented 20 year run. It was glorious, historic, and it was right here in Foxboro. That doesn't change what a chitshow 2022 was, to be sure, but it changes how I react to them.

Last edited:

There is more gray in the world than there is black and white. All the decisions have multiple reasons behind them, many of those reasons are not known. Some people see the glass half full, and others see it as half empty. This doesn't mean people are not arguing their side dishonestly, it just means they have a different viewpoint. I understand being frustrated and ready to move on from BB, but I don't feel that is the answer. I actually enjoy this process we have been going through the past 4 years and it doesn't take away my enjoyment of following this team because they are not SB contenders every year. It isn't solely about winning for me, so my perspective might different than others. I accept that and enjoy the other perspectives, it balances me out when I get too "homer-ish" (even for me, which is rare). Also, calling for our HC to be fired seems odd at this point considering that Kraft has told him he is the HC for the 2023 season, seems a bit like banging one's head against a wall. At least wait until October if the team sucks. Anyway, I agree that we all want the team to improve, and I am excited to see what happens this off-season.

As I just stated, lot of folks don't want to debate, bud. They want to b!tch. Bill is not fired. Bill is not retiring. So, with those points a constant as of 1/30/23, what do you want?

As I just stated, lot of folks don't want to debate, bud. They want to b!tch.
Indeed. It's clear a whole bunch of posters have this laundry list of wounds their team of choice has delivered to them that they're ready to unfurl at a moment's notice, kind of like that friend or neighbor we all have who is willing to tell you of all their physical maladies at a moment's notice.

I don't care! I can't stand it!

Indeed. It's clear a whole bunch of posters have this laundry list of wounds their team of choice has delivered to them that they're ready to unfurl at a moment's notice, kind of like that friend or neighbor we all have who is willing to tell you of all their physical maladies at a moment's notice.
I would understand if this was 1990-1992 era Patriots and they were a laughingstock. They aren't even close to that or even Jete level. I just don't get it. If you hate them so bad, go bandwagon another team. (not you, Bill, in general)

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back