PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inside the most dysfunctional Pats season under BB

I think he's the kind of coach where BB can direct him to accomplish something with a unit and he'll get it done without a lot of supervision, and there's value in that. He's not the type who can share an assignment with another coach like he was asked to do this year. ST's coach is perfect for him.
If how he is portraided in the article is true I don’t see how he can stay in the staff. His credibility has been ruined for all the players. Why would the ST players listen to him after this year. It would make no sense.

If Judge stays on the staff either Bill is too stupid to see those problem or it isn’t as bad as bas as some people on the organization want it to make it look. If it was that bad I can’t see Kraft agreeing in keeping Judge on the staff.

Why in the world would they want to do that?
Because the NFL is always evolving and teams have focused more on drafting DBs to combat the rise in passing offenses leaving them exposed to offenses like SF. Installing the NFL’s Trendiest Offense Is Harder Than You Think

There may have been plays that could have been used that were better. The fact remains that there were plays called that would have succeeded if not for the QB. Throwing the ball too late and too short in not the OCs fault. But, Patricia and Judge will serve as the sacrificial reasons as to why the QB could not execute.

Zappes numbers are better than Jones across every category except "batted down passes". Zappe never got the chance to correct that.

I think he's the kind of coach where BB can direct him to accomplish something with a unit and he'll get it done without a lot of supervision, and there's value in that. He's not the type who can share an assignment with another coach like he was asked to do this year. ST's coach is perfect for him.
I don't see how he can get it done when he's poisoned the locker room against him. It's not like ST players are firewalled off away from the rest, isolated from what happened this past season.

Doesn't change the point of the theory.
Agreed, it doesn't change the part of how the financing worked on the Pats side. I was only highlighting that the money was not the main reason that JMD stayed with the Patriots. It gave JMD the excuse that he needed to manage the hit to his reputation. Backing out when he did was really bad form, the Colts train was well down the tracks when he decided to stay.

Agreed, it doesn't change the part of how the financing worked on the Pats side. I was only highlighting that the money was not the main reason that JMD stayed with the Patriots. It gave JMD the excuse that he needed to manage the hit to his reputation. Backing out when he did was really bad form, the Colts train was well down the tracks when he decided to stay.

I'm sure money wasn't the only reason or Irsay. Josh's family was at a certain age they didn't want to move, and there might have been other reasons.

The question is whether this contract arrangement, if it existed, played any piece in the Nightmare of 2022, and Kraft stepping in and paying Josh more might provide additional evidence.

How is he not being held accountable? He's basically been stripped of absolute personnel and staff control.

Another crap season he's gone.
I believe that BB does not care anymore.

The more Kraft bad mouths BB, the less BB really cares about delivering another Lombardi. BB would love to pass Shula for all time wins @ 347, but 19 more wins looks impossible.

The more Kraft bad mouths BB, the less BB really cares about delivering another Lombardi. BB would love to pass Shula for all time wins @ 347, but 19 more wins looks impossible.
He got 18 the last two years including this year's disaster. With a competent OC who says they can't win 10 games each of the next two years?

Because the NFL is always evolving and teams have focused more on drafting DBs to combat the rise in passing offenses leaving them exposed to offenses like SF. Installing the NFL’s Trendiest Offense Is Harder Than You Think

There may have been plays that could have been used that were better. The fact remains that there were plays called that would have succeeded if not for the QB. Throwing the ball too late and too short in not the OCs fault. But, Patricia and Judge will serve as the sacrificial reasons as to why the QB could not execute.

Zappes numbers are better than Jones across every category except "batted down passes". Zappe never got the chance to correct that.
I don't think they were used as reason as to why the qb couldn't execute but more that is is almost impossible to make an accurate evaluation positive or negative of Mac in the middle of a train wreck on offense. People cite Zappe as the exception to that but Zappe did play in a different offense with often max protection and it worked against Cleveland and Detroit but i don't think it worked against the bears and her looked limited. My take isn't mac vs zappe as i don't think either qb is the answer

19 more wins looks impossible.
7 to 10 wins the next 2 seasons?
Or do you think he gets asked to leave if they go 7-10 this year?

I don't think they were used as reason as to why the qb couldn't execute but more that is is almost impossible to make an accurate evaluation positive or negative of Mac in the middle of a train wreck on offense. People cite Zappe as the exception to that but Zappe did play in a different offense with often max protection and it worked against Cleveland and Detroit but i don't think it worked against the bears and her looked limited. My take isn't mac vs zappe as i don't think either qb is the answer
Zappe wasn't that good against Detroit.

It's kind of excuse making for BB to suggest he doesn't care anymore. Like if he were giving his optimum effort then the results would be better. I believe his decisions increasingly have run through his ego, stubbornness and comfortability but I also believe he thinks he's doing what's best for the team (because he equates that with what's best for him).

The all-time head coaching records are sort of a double edged sword because while BB is chasing wins he going to set the losses records as well. You could defend that with the longevity argument but longevity also accounts for the wins. By winning percentage BB is 15th in the regular season and 13th in the postseason.

These are the win/loss records BB is approaching...

Regular Season Wins

328 = Shula
318 = Halas
298 = Belichick

Regular Season Losses

165 = Reeves
165 = Fisher
162 = Landry
156 = Shula
152 = Belichick

Combined Regular & Postseason Wins

347 = Shula
329 = Belichick
324 = Halas

Combined Regular & Postseason Losses

178 = Landry
174 = Reeves
173 = Shula
171 = Fisher
165 = Belichick

I think BB coaches 2-3 more seasons. He's a .500 head coach since Brady left so if that trend continues he'll need slightly more than 2 seasons to set the combined wins record. He'll likely need 3 more full seasons at least to set the regular season wins record so that likely isn't happening. He needs 14 losses to set the regular season losses record and the combined losses record. Even with two back-to-back winning seasons of 10-7 (which I think most pats fans would take), BB will set both losses records by the conclusion of the 2024 season.

I agree about the OT's, Wynn should have stayed at LT.

As far as the draft, give Thornton another year, he's gonna be good. And don't forget we also got Jack Jones and this year's high 3rd rounder from the moves we made associated with the Strange pick.
I'll believe it when I see it with Thornton. They keep sending him on short crossers into linebackers and he'll be on IR more than the field, and he hasn't exactly shown good hands.
And yes, the Jones picks were both marvelous, but hitting in the mid-rounds doesn't excuse letting obvious elite talent (the two LBs) slip through your fingers in the first, particularly in an area of need. The Pats consistently do really well in the mid-to-late rounds.
The front end of the draft is where they fail repeatedly.

I'll believe it when I see it with Thornton. They keep sending him on short crossers into linebackers and he'll be on IR more than the field, and he hasn't exactly shown good hands.
And yes, the Jones picks were both marvelous, but hitting in the mid-rounds doesn't excuse letting obvious elite talent (the two LBs) slip through your fingers in the first, particularly in an area of need. The Pats consistently do really well in the mid-to-late rounds.
The front end of the draft is where they fail repeatedly.
I liked Thornton the prospect didn't like where to Pats picked him that said he has an excuse with the misfits running the Offense. I think Thornton is going to be good with Bob and will be used exclusively as a outside Receiver.

After reading that article I‘m stunned that Bill is keeping Joe Judge, I think a lot of the players will feel the same way. If this happened during the first Super Bowl run I could see a few of the leaders of the team explaining to Bill no he can’t stay on the team.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back