PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In a potential Super Bowl matchup, tougher team to beat: Saints or Packers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: In a potential Super Bowl matchup..

I'm telling you, Packers wont make it to the superbowl, let alone win it. Once they start playing tough, smart players that dont make stupid choices and get ejected, its all over for them.

I'd like to win a playoff game this year. I think we're a long way from even contemplating a SB match up.

I bet your were also the kid in school that broke the news that Santa Claus wasn't real.

I bet your were also the kid in school that broke the news that Santa Claus wasn't real.

wistah, I found another unbeliever.

BSR, you have been warned: you will soon hear from the Grand Inquisitor "wistahpatsfan".

Santa-wants-you-to-spend-a-lot.jpg

Last edited:

I'd like to win a playoff game this year. I think we're a long way from even contemplating a SB match up.

First things first, eh? Stating the obvious about not looking past steps has never been more sensible than this year:

1. Lock up a playoff spot
  2. Win the division
  3. Earn a bye
  4. Beat playoff opponent
  5. Repeat goal #4 once or twice, depending on #3

If the Pats can manage all this, then we can justify talking about SB win prospects

Last edited:

Last time Brees played the Pats he had as many touchdowns (5) as he did incompletions! I'd prefer Green Bay

That was last time, and 2 seasons ago.

Ummm, what? Rodgers "might" show up and play ok? Rodgers has been by far the most consistent QB in the league this year. His "off game" against TB was one that most QBs would consider a very good day and he would have had 3 TDs vs the Lions if 2 of his passes right into the hands of his receivers in the end zone had been caught. Rodgers has been nothing but clutch.

NO is a great team and gaining a lot of momentum. A GB-NO playoff game is the one we are all hoping and waiting for, but come on, some of your comments about Rodgers and the Packers just not in the ballpark. Rodgers has not been tested in the 4th Quarter because he hasn't HAD to be tested. On the other hand, both Rodgers and the Packers have regularly faced teams that came out firing against the SB champions and they have shown that they have amazing poise. They don't panic, they make a few adjustments and before long they're 10 points ahead.

NE, NO and GB really are the teams with the best shot at the SB IMO. Ravens and 9ers? Great defenses but far too inconsistent or weak on offense. Steelers? maybe. Texans? Hard to pick them without Schaub.

Yeah, really good points. I just don't think Rogers was clutch until this season, and I see his receivers making god amazing catches in games. Brees and Brady look more accurate to me, and it seems to me that Rogers WR/TE core is having a amazing year. Last SB season a lot of lucky things had to happen for them to win the SB and not face the best teams. In 2009 Rogers was not very clutch losing to Brent Farve 2x, and what are the chances that GB would play us the 1st game of the season and we would have that many important players unable to play? and who Gave them this easy schedule this season,lol. I mean, there is a lot of luck happening in GB.
I could be wrong, its just a loose opinion I have right now.

When Brees came to NO in 2006 and started putting up monster passing records he was about 25-26 years old, and we didn't really buy into him until around 2008. Maybe as a culture we are just hesitant about crowning our ball players as being elite or really good. Its more a disbelief that they are playing well,lol.
So, I just want to see what rogers can do for 3 seasons or more.

2009 Rodgers was really looking good, then took a drop down in 2010, and then he's doing great again in 2011, according to the leader boards.
2009 NFL Leaders and Leaderboards - Pro-Football-Reference.com

2010 NFL Leaders and Leaderboards - Pro-Football-Reference.com

2011 NFL Leaders and Leaderboards - Pro-Football-Reference.com

I am not completely sure what Im trying to express,lol, except to say, for some reason Rogers is not in my elite list yet, and I do think NO has a more dangerous and proven offense than GB. Im not trying to put Rogers down, but it seems to always come out that way,lol.

I think your points are just as valid as mine. Im thinking GB would not have won the SB against a better opponent and without the 3 turnovers to barely win, and you right also, the turnovers were caused by GB as a team, and Rogers did go down and score at the end.

NO losing to the Rams was a complete shock to the NFL. Not only did the defense fail, but for the 1st time sense 2006 the offense almost failed. And their really is no good reason for it. We faced a 2nd string QB, and we didn't have a single injury.
Its made a lot of sports commentators and opposing fans gun shy of the saints.
But what we think is that was our teams turning point. We just got our butts kicked fair and square by a really bad team :) That didn't even happen with the seahawks.
Thats never really happend. I mean the Browns beat us both, but they were not that bad of a team. I see the old Saints team now, not because of the giants game, but the 3 wins they have put together sense the Rams game. I completely agree with you though, its GB,NE, and NO SB to lose at this point. All teams have the players to get even better as the season goes, baring injuries or miracle throws :).
As long as we all "just do our job", and try to improve, we will get another shot at GB, and you will be waiting for who wins that epic battle :)

We destroyed the packers in 2008 with rogers 51-29 , and they beat us this year. Maybe the start of a new rivalry :) fun. We have never been considered worthy of a rivalry,lol, and we spank the falcons every year.

Yeah, Im not buying the 49ers or Ravens either. Your right their offenses can not produce against good defensive play. Texans are dead, really sucks, they had a shot this year. You think steelers? I was thinking more of the Falcons, but they have noooo depth at all, you stop turner they usually lose we have learned , or even the Raiders. Palmer was a nice addition to a good run game, you think ?

Last edited:
How about 1 win in the playoffs first.

Brees is a Patriots killer. I'd rather roll the dice with Green Bay and ruin their perfect season. ;)

With the way this secondary is playing, I'd say that Rodgers would probably be a Patriots killer as well. Brady would have to go on long, sustained drives with the offense to keep him off the field. In either game, our offense would be the best defense for us.

FWIW, Rodgers' worst game this season was at Chicago. 28/38 (73.7%), 297 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT. Passer rating "only" 110.4.

FWIW, Rodgers' worst game this season was at Chicago. 28/38 (73.7%), 297 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT. Passer rating "only" 110.4.

If that's true, I don't want the Pats to face that guy.

I have seen almost all of packers games and saints games this season (And patriots obviously).

I think the patriots would stand a better chance against the saints than the packers. Reason being:

1) Aaron rodgers IMHO would be very tough to stop for belichick. So is brees, but i think rodgers with his talent and the offense that he runs would be hell for the patriots

2) Rodgers running out of the pocket and throwing on the run will burn the pats on a lot of 3rd and outs IMO.

3) The packers show flashes of being a good defensive team ). I do not see this with the saints.

Playoffs??? Don't talk about playoffs! I think I'd rather play the Saints. The haven't been consistant this year. IE the loss to the Rams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes