PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In 2022 could we hear serious rumblings that Kraft is contemplating firing BB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing no one talks about is Bill’s contract. He is reportedly making well over $20m per year.

I think if we regress Bill could be in trouble. If Kraft see’s a mediocre team and doesn’t think we will be SB contenders in the next 3 seasons why would he want to pay Bill in the $70m range when he can pay someone else $15m for the following 3 seasons?

If we make the playoffs I think Bill is safe, but if we regress it could get interesting.
Bill still wont be fired in that scenario he’ll have the chance to step down gracefully like Tom Coughlin did. That’s a long way away from happening imo. If Mac Jones turns out to be a bust then that might change.

I aint saying that it will happen, but if this season plays out like I believe that it will Bobbys blood pressure will be rising.
At some point down the road Jonathan's voice will resonate loudest within the Gillette hallways and one has to wonder if his loyalty index is calibrated the same as Pops.
Maybe while Robert is getting jiggy with his new bride at her prom Jonanthan will make his move

I don't see any way that Bill doesn't bring Edelman back if he passes a physical. Dude is exceptionally talented and knows the offense inside and out. Obviously the concern is durability but I'm sure Bill would manage his snaps. The question I have is 1) the money and 2) whose roster spot he takes. Bourne / Parker / Agholor / Meyers / Thornton ahead of him... Edelman could be an insanely good sixth guy, though I could also see him take Meyers' job if they also wanted to keep a guy like Nixon. They could trade Meyers for a 5th or something, gain $4M in cap space and not have to worry about Meyers' impending free agency - though obviously you're now paying Edelman and he doesn't have a lot of time left either so you'd have to hope someone like Nixon will develop with time.
Which WR do you get rid of?

The offense is changing too.

I think this team will go 9-8. One game worse than last year. Yet I think at the end we'll all say this is a better team which improved but ran into a more difficult schedule.

The key to me will be the defense. They lost some pieces and I don;'t see that they've filled them and the defensive line is no better than it was at the end of last year.

I do believe MJ10 and the offense will take the next step which will offer a lot of hope for the future.

Based upon that I don't think Krafty Bob will be looking to bail on Bill.

The AFC on paper is loaded but we'll see how it plays out.

Insane how the season hasn't even started and we're wondering if BB will be fired for a bad season...which, again, hasn't even started.
Not the question.

I asked will we BEGIN TO HEAR SERIOUS RUMBLINGS THAT KRAFT IS PONDERING A CHANGE AT HC.

1 bad season wont pull the plug. These things are leaked to the media first where they build up steam for the time being. You cannot argue that there is no possibility that will ever happen when Kraft publicly criticized the Patriots drafts under Belichick and the teams results of last season.

The OP was on record as stating that Brady is done winning Super Bowls in Tampa. Now not only does Brady have a great shot at getting to the SB, it’s going to directly lead to Belichick getting fired…
Buffalo is winning it this year.

I aint saying that it will happen, but if this season plays out like I believe that it will Bobbys blood pressure will be rising.

Lets face the music? Some crazy things have already happened. Patricia is now the OC. Stevie Belichick is basically free to run amok. The Pats best CB is gone and the run defense was already an issue.

Moreover, Edelman is joining his BFF in Tampa. JE will approach the Pats about returning, but BB has moved on with a core 5 of Thornton, Parker, Bourne, Agahlor and Meyers. Harry is the only spot open, but the Pats always seem to keep a young low cost prospect WR like Wilkerson. There is simply no room. JE is not the future and why would you sink money in a player who would take limited snaps at best? JE does not move the needle in my eyes.

So, you have Brady, Gronk and Edelman. 3 former Pats players who BB let go and have all reunited playing together in Tampa, Florida. I see Tampa making the playoffs and give them a better than favorable shot at representing the NFC in the Superbowl. The NFC is very weak and very few teams stand in Tampas way. Buffalo is my AFC representative. If the Bills do not go back to the Superbowl this season they never will. Bobbys team didnt make it and as you can imagine he is none too happy about that alone, then add insult to injury Brady, Gronk and Edelman are there.

Now I believe that this is where the story takes a curve. The Bills win the Superbowl. All the talk for weeks will be about Brady the GOAT and # 8. He owns the Bills. The Bills will be receiving little to no respeck. We saw what an NFL team from the AFCE did in 2001 that nobody respected. Every dog has his day and curses do not last forever.
Edelman is going to Tampa? Since when? You got a link to a report stating that?

This thread is laughable. The Pats looked like the best team in the AFC at one point last year. Then their elderly defense started getting hurt. Mac probably hit a rookie wall and he may have even been pretty hurt. He got steamrolled more than once.

I expect Pats to easily go deeper into the playoffs. They got faster and younger at every position
Faster and younger doesn't necessarily mean better.

Belichick would have to have at least two back to back losing seasons for there to be any serious talk about him being fired. Based on the way they spent this year and how much money they will have next year, I think the Pats may make a serious Super Bowl push in 2023. I seriously doubt Kraft would fire Belichick in that situation.

Faster and younger doesn't necessarily mean better.
No it doesn't, but how often has BB fielded a sh*t defense? His defense has been below top 10 twice since he started with the Pats and never below top 15. Everyone was complaining about how our slow defense couldn't stop these teams built on speed towards the end of the year when they were all hurt and slow. So BB either came to the same realization, or he frequents this board for advice. I'm going with his own epiphany, and found players that are going to be able to swarm to the ball faster.

History tells me that it will be a good defense and BB knows more about the players he's signing than the armchair coaches in here.

Buffalo is winning it this year.

I am still not enamored with Buffalo. People look to their end of the season and playoff push and forget they were a team that couldn't string together back to back wins until December. And that they lost to the Jags in embarrassing fashion. You can't limp through the season and get hot in the playoffs every year. Ask the Giants about a decade ago. They were wildly up and down.

No doubt they are a legitimate contender because of the talent they have, but I could see them take a step back this year if they repeat the first 2/3 of the season this year like they did last.

BB is definitely out on a limb this year with his coaching staff decisions as well as draft decisions. If the offense sputters due to poor play calling/game planning he'll deserve a big fat I told you so.

I don’t see any situation Belichick gets straight up fired. At most what could happen is Kraft brings in a general manager to “advise” on player moves.
Or, eventually, a very elegant retirement is staged.

To be fair it's not like it's a choice between BB or zero for the Patriots. If BB for some reason decides after the 2022 season that he really doesn't want to coach into his 70's after all then I'm sure there are a lot of really good coordinators around the league who would be great choices to be our next HC.

I want BB to be here at least until the end of the rebuild no matter what. Parcells set the table for BB and Dynasty 1.0 on defense. I think Bill wants to do the same thing for his own heir and he should get that chance to see it all the way through.

To be fair it's not like it's a choice between BB or zero for the Patriots. If BB for some reason decides after the 2022 season that he really doesn't want to coach into his 70's after all then I'm sure there are a lot of really good coordinators around the league who would be great choices to be our next HC.

I want BB to be here at least until the end of the rebuild no matter what. Parcells set the table for BB and Dynasty 1.0 on defense. I think Bill wants to do the same thing for his own heir and he should get that chance to see it all the way through.
BB isn't going anywhere until he passes Shula....my prediction, barring any health issues....but there isn't a coach in the league that has more job security than him....for anyone wanting to see him go, sorry but that's not happening at this point.

BB isn't going anywhere until he passes Shula....my prediction, barring any health issues....but there isn't a coach in the league that has more job security than him....for anyone wanting to see him go, sorry but that's not happening at this point.
That's a good point. 10 wins a season till the end of his contract in 2025 and he gets to the top of the wins chart.

This season might be tough but if Mac is for real I think our window is a lot closer to opening again than people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots