PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In 2008 would you rather the Pats end the regular season 15-1 or 16-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never want to see the Pats lose but realistically I doubt they'll be able to repeat last year regular seasons achievement.

In truth I'm not sure we'll get more 11 or 12 wins, but hey as long as we win a Superbowl thats all that matters next year. Don't care about records, don't care how many TD's Brady throws or Moss catches.

Just win the whole damn show.

Yeah, that's what we said last year.

This team is in a realistic discussion for going 16-0 as long as Brady and Moss are together, IMO. At least coming out of last season. I can't see how you can look at this team and not say it's improved defensively and that it has the possibility to improve offensively as well. It's schedule is notably easier, and they still have to play the other two elite teams in the AFC - Colts and Chargers - but they beat them last year as well.

You make a statement like that without seeing what castoffs like Fernando Bryant,Tank Williams,Victor Hobson will do in this system - obviously they were not that great on thier previous teams or they would still be there and especially since none of those guys were big money contracts, so if you are so certain these guys will become MUCH better players than I want to know how - just because the team has shown it can do well with SOME castoffs does not mean it will do just as good with these guys - you remember Dwayne Starks,Monty Beisel,Chad Brown ect? - What makes you think these new guys from previous teams (who were not that good to let players go if they were solid contributors) are going to resurrect thier careers here?

This teams FO has shown it can screw up with FA and off the street JAG signings just as much as it can pick up a useful player -its 50-50 chance right now that they turn out to be better than advertized.

Have you seen these guys in pads to say the defense will be better?

Have you seen ANY rookies in pads to say they will become immediate contributors and if they do contribute, will they be good and will they fit in this complicated defensive system?

Stop living in the past - this is the 2008 Patriots who have not even started training camp yet and here you are stating the defense is improved? - how do you know this O' Swami?

How about waiting till we see some action from the new defensive guys before we make such stupid statements like you have above that the defense is going to be better than last year - Unless you are God you have not a clue - By week 1 we should have a LITTLE better idea if this team's defense will have improved or regressed. - Other then that, right now you are dreaming up some BS without anything to base it on.

OH By the way - Chad Jackson's career is still being decided by jury,so the offense should be pretty good this year, but Chad needs to get some balls which is what it takes to be a good pro.

You make a statement like that without seeing what castoffs like Fernando Bryant,Tank Williams,Victor Hobson will do in this system
We lost Samuel - a sizeable loss. But that's it. Unless you count Colvin who missed the second half and playoffs. With the FA you mentioned plus the draft it's almost impossible that we won't be improved unless Belioli is wrong on about 5 players. Maybe Bryant, Williams, Hobson, Mayo, Crable will all suck. More likely 3 of them will be at least fairly good and offset the one loss. Oh, and Meriweather should be much improved this year. And Seymour is actually healthy for a good offseason of S&C. You're right, they may all fail - but the chance of that is really small.

Anyway, on the thread. I would take 16-0 for sure. I would take last year's too; it sucked losing the SB but I also enjoy the resume building this team is doing in addition to the SB and a 16-0 season is a piece of the resume we'll look back at. Two 16-0 seasons ? Nice ;) That said, we almost lost several games last year and probably will lose one or two this year (that's if we stay healthy; a real bad injury or two to a key player could, of course, make us lose more).

I'd like to see a Superbowl win. We already did 16-0, I'm over it.

Well, 16-0 may have been done, but 19-0 has not. Based on everything this organization has been about in the past, I can't imagine that the cumulative effect of the "pressure" of making history led to a David Tyree circus catch, or to poor playcalling on the final offensive drive, or a swiss cheese offensive line in SB 42. This organization has played on the biggest stage, under the smallest microscope time and time again. Was everything magnified last year? Of course. Was it magnified to the point where it affected the team in SB 42? I don't think so. I think the Giants had far more to do with that than anything else...

Now obviously I would have traded a regular season loss last year for a championship, but it doesnt work that way. Down the stretch, this team blew out a playoff-bound Steelers team, handled the Jets in horrendous conditions, coasted to a 28-0 halftime lead vs. Miami before trying to break all the records at home, survived a spirited effort in the Meadowlands against the Giants, had a week off, had their way with the Jaguars, and fended off a game Chargers squad that upset the Colts in their home with less of a squad than they took to Foxboro. I think the notion that the Patriots' play tailed off down the stretch is overblown.

15-1 + SB win > 16-0 + 18-1, but that wasn't the question asked. I don't want an L, and I don't think the presence of an L will make a championship any more likely. Will they lose a game or two along the way? Yes, I'm sure they will, but nonetheless, I wouldn't choose for them to do so.

16-0, without question

Yeah, I'd take the undefeated record and the Super Bowl. But let's be honest here, that's not going to happen. I don't care which way you try to spin it, that's not going to happen. So this year, I'll just be happy with a Lombardi in Tampa. When week 1 comes around, I'm saving money for that trip. Hopefully, I build up at least $3,000 in my savings and then another $2,000 with my tax return so I can go. And hey, if we don't make it to the Super Bowl, I'd have $5,000 to blow on a new flatscreen TV to watch the games on in 2009. :D

You make a statement like that without seeing what castoffs like Fernando Bryant,Tank Williams,Victor Hobson will do in this system - obviously they were not that great on thier previous teams or they would still be there and especially since none of those guys were big money contracts, so if you are so certain these guys will become MUCH better players than I want to know how - just because the team has shown it can do well with SOME castoffs does not mean it will do just as good with these guys - you remember Dwayne Starks,Monty Beisel,Chad Brown ect? - What makes you think these new guys from previous teams (who were not that good to let players go if they were solid contributors) are going to resurrect thier careers here?

This teams FO has shown it can screw up with FA and off the street JAG signings just as much as it can pick up a useful player -its 50-50 chance right now that they turn out to be better than advertized.

Have you seen these guys in pads to say the defense will be better?

Have you seen ANY rookies in pads to say they will become immediate contributors and if they do contribute, will they be good and will they fit in this complicated defensive system?

Stop living in the past - this is the 2008 Patriots who have not even started training camp yet and here you are stating the defense is improved? - how do you know this O' Swami?

How about waiting till we see some action from the new defensive guys before we make such stupid statements like you have above that the defense is going to be better than last year - Unless you are God you have not a clue - By week 1 we should have a LITTLE better idea if this team's defense will have improved or regressed. - Other then that, right now you are dreaming up some BS without anything to base it on.

OH By the way - Chad Jackson's career is still being decided by jury,so the offense should be pretty good this year, but Chad needs to get some balls which is what it takes to be a good pro.

Fernando Bryant, Victor Hobson & Tank Williams have all - when healthy - been career starters. Monty Beisel was a ST demon, Chad Brown as asked to play out of position. Duane Starks is the only failure which can really be blamed on the FO, and he was playing through injuries, which was part of the problem.

Basically, you're looking at two holes right now: ILB and CB. The Patriots have Hobson, Mayo, potentially Junior Seau, Adalius Thomas or Vrabel [moving inside and Crable/Woods moving outside] as potential options at ILB. They have Bryant, L. Sanders, Webster, Meriweather [moving to CB], Wheatley & Wilhite as potential options on CB.

Multiple scenarios within those options present clear upgrades over last season (ie, Hobson playing well at SILB, Mayo playing well at WILB, allowing AD to stay outside, Bryant doing what he's done throughout his career [starting and playing fairly well], Meriweather playing more at FS), etc. The only scenario in which this team's defense does not at least match its performance of last year is if NONE of those scenarios pan out. Which could happen, but I'd rather bank on the side of not being a negative nancy and assume that the chips will fall in such a way that the Patriots' moves this offseason will achieve a faster, deeper, and more productive defense than in 07.

There's a lot more ifs in your scenario than in mine. I'm just banking on 2 of the new players playing well enough to allow the rest of the playmakers on this defense to play in the positions which they will achieve the most success in. You're banking on literally every player we acquired this offseason sucking.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a Superbowl win. We already did 16-0, I'm over it.

Undefeated regular season, been there done that.

Win the Super Bowl, been there done that.

Both...........nice. ;)

Honestly I don't understand why there is so much discussion about 16-0. Did last year not prove that the focus should be on the won - loss record in February rather than the Week 17 record?

Historically, an undefeated regular season happens about once every thirty years. Is it not rather pompous for us Pats fans to not only consider another 16-0 season just one year later, but to go one step beyond and debate whether that would be good or bad?

Last year was an awesome ride (until the last minute of play) - let's enjoy this season the same way. Me, I'm going to go in to this season hoping for the best behind a very good team that will compete against several very talented opponents. For those of you that don't recall, the Pats lost nine games in the three Lombardi years; I will gladly take a 13-3 season with red white and blue confetti in Tampa on February 1st over another 16-0 season with all that additional scrutiny and pressure.

yeah but there are a lot of us who want to shut mercury morris and shula up. plus to all those fans around the nation who wanted us to lose (i would 75% of them did).

yeah but there are a lot of us who want to shut mercury morris and shula up. plus to all those fans around the nation who wanted us to lose (i would 75% of them did).

If we had won the Super Bowl, it was going to be Shula who was to present Belichick with the Lombardi. The second the game was over, Shula stood up, slammed his hands on the table in front of them, and screamed "how 'bout them Giants?" After that, he supposedly turned around and cussed out Terry Bradshaw.

I heard this from someone who was actually at the scene.

If we had won the Super Bowl, it was going to be Shula who was to present Belichick with the Lombardi. The second the game was over, Shula stood up, slammed his hands on the table in front of them, and screamed "how 'bout them Giants?" After that, he supposedly turned around and cussed out Terry Bradshaw.

I heard this from someone who was actually at the scene.

And on that note, I hope Shula gets the runs and forgets his Depends.

Y'all just need to stop, anyone who says they wouldnt love another perfect season is full of crap. If you, honetly want the patriots to lose a a game because of the "pressure" of going undefeated, then get off the boards and turn in your membership card because you are NOT a fan. I can tell you right now that the actual team does not feel this way, they dont feel pressure to go perfect, they feel pressure to win each indivdual game. The only reason why people on here think that they'd want them to lose is so you dont have to listen to the media/fan hate for the patriots, and that my friend, is selfish.

Here is to a 1-0 record after week 1.

Y'all just need to stop, anyone who says they wouldnt love another perfect season is full of crap. If you, honetly want the patriots to lose a a game because of the "pressure" of going undefeated, then get off the boards and turn in your membership card because you are NOT a fan. I can tell you right now that the actual team does not feel this way, they dont feel pressure to go perfect, they feel pressure to win each indivdual game. The only reason why people on here think that they'd want them to lose is so you dont have to listen to the media/fan hate for the patriots, and that my friend, is selfish.

Here is to a 1-0 record after week 1.

Well put....

Here is to 1-0, 19 times

I just can't wait to start things over again by hanging a massive blow out on Kansas City in Week 1.

16-0. If you really would rather see 15-1, then I don't know what to say. Like Herm said, "you play to win the game."

And as I've said before, if the Pats start out 7-0 or 8-0 again, I doubt you'll see as much "Path to Perfection" stuff anymore - even if it does crop up, I think most fans will just ignore it given the outcome of last season. Therefore, I think they're will be less pressure on the Pats, at least in the regular season. If they go 16-0 again it will be no big deal with most fans; the real pressure will come in the playoffs when they'll need to just win those three damn games.

It's not that I would rather not see 16-0, but I'm not going to be jumping off a cliff if they happen to drop a game or two.

If I could see 19-0, that would be spectacular, of course. But I don't "need" 16-0 to have a great season next year. That would just be setting the bar a wee bit high.

It's not that I would rather not see 16-0, but I'm not going to be jumping off a cliff if they happen to drop a game or two.

If I could see 19-0, that would be spectacular, of course. But I don't "need" 16-0 to have a great season next year. That would just be setting the bar a wee bit high.

true that.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back