PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Imperative the Patriots Fix the Tight End Position

I think Bill will sign one of Hunter henry, Kyle rudolph or Jared cooke.

All will give you similar production. The only difference is Henry is 26 and the other guys are in their 30s. So if Bill signs henry you have to imagine the rookies aren't showing much.

If he signs rudolph or cooke, it's a one year deal and he thinks the rookies can show something.

No it’s logical. It means bolster other areas like DL, OL, LBs etc. We’ll get TE/WR next year when we get a better QB. This year is toast anyway. Another “rebuild” year

With the same personnel in 2019 the offense only averaged 17 a game with Brady as QB the last 8 weeks. Why are you punting on the whole season? A good TE helps our running game as well as our QB.

With the same personnel in 2019 the offense only averaged 17 a game with Brady as QB the last 8 weeks.
colbert-the-word-cherry-picking.gif

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I'm still processing but I think Smith is extremely quick and also shows high awareness as a route runner. His yardage number is low but is that because he was asked to block more ?

I'm still processing but I think Smith is extremely quick and also shows high awareness as a route runner. His yardage number is low but is that because he was asked to block more ?
Not really. He had a 10.9 yds/catch which is pretty low among TE. For example, Gronk was asked to block a lot last year and still had a 13.8 yds/catch which was one of the best among TE.

Yards per catch has nothing to do with blocking.
You don’t know how to read don’t you?

DropKickFluckie was asking if his number were low because he was asked to block a lot.

His yardage number is low but is that because he was asked to block more

my response was his yds/catch is low so his low number are not related to him blocking. If he had a 14 yds/catch and the same amount of yards, it would be a different story

You don’t know how to read don’t you?

DropKickFluckie was asking if his number were low because he was asked to block a lot.

my response was his yds/catch is low so his low number are not related to him blocking. If he had a 14 yds/catch and the same amount of yards, it would be a different story
You can't fix stupid. If he was thrown to more he would have more yardage. He was asked to block more, especially during the second half of the season, instead of going out to catch passes, so he didn't put up many yards.

Here is some math for you. 30 catches at 10 yards per catch is 300 yards, 20 catches at 13 yards per catch is 260 yards. See how yards per catch doesn't over come the number of catches you make in this example?

So DropKick asked a legitimate question, and the answer, from another thread and by looking at his numbers, was Yes he was asked to block more so he didn't put up that many yards.

You can't fix stupid. If he was thrown to more he would have more yardage. He was asked to block more, especially during the second half of the season, instead of going out to catch passes, so he didn't put up many yards.

Here is some math for you. 30 catches at 10 yards per catch is 300 yards, 20 catches at 13 yards per catch is 260 yards. See how yards per catch doesn't over come the number of catches you make in this example?

So DropKick asked a legitimate question, and the answer, from another thread and by looking at his numbers, was Yes he was asked to block more so he didn't put up that many yards.
You are right. my bad. I was trying to argue that his number in passing situation were not that impressive for a guy that we are paying top 3 TE money even if he was blocking more.

You are right. my bad. I was trying to argue that his number in passing situation were not that impressive for a guy that we are paying top 3 TE money even if he was blocking more.
That is fine, I guess you really have to look at his season in depth though to understand what happened. He was on pace to have a monster season, but their top o-lineman was injured and they had to adjust and ended up keeping him in to mostly block for the second half of the season. Which he did very well, so actually you can look at last season as a reason why the Patriots wanted him so badly. The first few games, used as a pass catcher, excels, end of the season, used as a blocker, excels.

That is fine, I guess you really have to look at his season in depth though to understand what happened. He was on pace to have a monster season, but their top o-lineman was injured and they had to adjust and ended up keeping him in to mostly block for the second half of the season. Which he did very well, so actually you can look at last season as a reason why the Patriots wanted him so badly. The first few games, used as a pass catcher, excels, end of the season, used as a blocker, excels.
We will see. I largely prefer him over hunter Henry.

He is both younger and more explosive than Henry though admittedly less polished as a receiver. My gut is that they liked the athletic traits and potential for gadget plays

Yup. In the first four games, Jonnu Smith was targeted 27 times resulting in 18 catches, 221 yards, and 5 touchdowns. He was on pace for a 72/884/20 season (the TD rate not sustainable of course but the other stats were).

But then in their fifth game the Titans lost their Pro Bowl left tackle Taylor Lewan to a torn ACL in the second quarter. That’s when Smith was asked to block more and his targets suffered as a result. He also may have been slowed down by ankle injuries he suffered in Week 6 and 11.

Also worth noting he’s leaving an offense that was heavily run based thanks to Derrick Henry, and where he was the third choice in the passing game behind A.J. Brown and Corey Davis. Health permitting Smith should be heavily relied on in the Pats offense both as a blocker and receiver and I expect a career high in targets for him. He also flashed his speed out of the backfield with a 57 yard carry in 2019 so they could try using him in many ways.

Two things that brings me pause: one is this may be the old fantasy football brain in me, but I remember back in the 2006 offseason when Benjamin Watson was a popular sleeper. He had the draft pedigree, the athleticism, and the opportunity to be a big part of the Pats passing attack with David Givens gone in free agency and Deion Branch holding out. Thought the logical outcome was more targets for Watson and a breakout season. His best season as a Patriot statistically was that 2006 season, but it wasn’t the breakout that was hoped for despite having the second most targets (49/643/3). We’d be thrilled at that type of production at TE compared to what we’ve seen the last two years but not so much at the salary.

Also the last time I was intrigued by an athletic Titans tight end was Jared Cook, and while Cook has made a solid career for himself, Smith’s numbers are going to need to be much better than that for the elite TE money he’s getting. We’ll have to wait and see.

EDIT-

And now that Hunter Henry is signed you can forget what I just said. Wow.

Last edited:
Jesse James was released by Detroit. Patricia loves the guy.

I think he'd fit here beautifully. No Hunter Henry or Jonnu Smith, but I'd love to see them bring him in.
What a great post to see after they got both Henry and Smith.

Now that @DropKickFlutie took care of the TE position maybe he'll start the "Imperative the Patriots Fix the QB Position" thread.

They just drafted two TE's in the 3rd round. Yes, they probably are irretrievably incompetent but they're not retooling the 'TE position' again this offseason. Cam can bounce his balls off their shins too.
you were saying game of thrones GIF

What a great post to see after they got both Henry and Smith.

Now that @DropKickFlutie took care of the TE position maybe he'll start the "Imperative the Patriots Fix the QB Position" thread.
I meant that James was no HH or JS, but I'd take him.

Rather have those two, of course!

I meant that James was no HH or JS, but I'd take him.

Rather have those two, of course!
I wasn't being critical, I just found it ironic that you were praising both of them and we ended with both of them.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back