Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who is your preferred WR acquisition?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Parker? can't separate Parker?
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
You know separation isn't Parker's game...right?

My point is that judging Parker based on his ability to separate is dumb.
So after watching Welker - Edelman - Branch and Amendola separation means nothing I get it Jack.:rolleyes:

I know, it's probably as great a shock as the realization that you're not actually required to post a .gif with every reply.
Your response is gif inducing unbelievable. :rolleyes:

There's no need for snark or defensiveness here, we're just having a discussion. It wasn't "whining" to point out you added tight ends to the equation when wide receivers was the initial topic. But that's fine.
Just didn't appreciate you telling me what my "premise" was. I certainly wasn't saying an elite WR = a championship. And made it clear when I posted points scored, pass yards etc. I was talking about the effects they give you.

And thought it was weak to complain about the use of two TE with HOF rec capabilities. I mean Kelce's blocking has improved but hes a big slot. Not too mention SF has Deebo and Aiyuk.

It's just so far from the point whether it's a WR or TE. Honestly thought you would have known that.
After revisiting your initial response I think I have a clearer idea of what you're driving at. Just the same, I'm not convinced the Pats' receiving corps, including tight ends, isn't already playoff-worthy without another marquee name added.
You really believe Hunter Henry, Kendrick Bourne, Tyquan Thornton and JuJu are playoff worthy?
Animated GIF

You won't last when the ice spiders as big as hounds come out the dark.

On paper it's clearly the worst group of targets in the division. Nothings played on paper but again that group doesn't scream playoffs.
Mac was the league's 13th-ranked QB his rookie season (according to Pro Football Reference) and I consider last year an aberration. They're very useful for snaps, alignment but
I love there snap alignment and stuff like that but wouldn't cite their grades if they were water and i was on fire. Especially for QB and OL. OL is absolutely terrible. Idk it's tough to take them seriously when they have clear-cut agendas towards certain positions (RB, LB, OT) and are so off on OL play in general.

If you want to say Mac was 13 that's fine. It's not the biggest deal but he was average. Good for a rookie but an average starter.

I don't think Mac was better than ....
Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, Burrow, Hurts, Wentz, Herbert, Carr, Cousins, Stafford, Murray, Dak, Wilson, Tannehill, Jimmy, Jackson and Ryan. Again right around 15-18.
I anticipate significant improvement from him this coming season -- AT LEAST top-13 and hopefully beyond, in which case he's flirting with top-10 status. Of course, a lot hinges on him making that leap.
All Pats fans are rooting for Mac. There's nothing wrong with being objective though. To date he hasn't shown anything to suggest that he's more than average. He's been average with no glimpses of special. We've seen a few really good games but nothing MVP worthy or "special." Which even in a players worst season you can see something that indicates that. That's what gets me. I can take a **** year and get Patricia's influence but he didn't overcome much if anything. It's easy and fun to blame Patricia but that's a weak excuse imo to hammer 24/7 every time criticism of Mac comes up.
Let's say Thornton develops further as a downfield threat. With Schuster, Bourne and Parker in the mix plus Henry/Gesicki, do you still see glaring needs? If so, in your opinion who/what should they aim for?
So much rides on TT bc teams weren't scared of us beating them deep. Even still a full-time X would be great. Parker works, I like him but he's almost never healthy. I mean going into a season, during the year, to end the year. It's tough to count on him but he's a player. Thornton can play some snaps there but he's an ideal Z and move in the slot. We've been missing a true X for years along with a quick slot but JuJu and Bourne are more than enough there.

Bocking TE

If we're content with being average I'd sign Agholor back. Depending on Thornton for a full season as your only true deep threat is scary.

True 3rd down/rec back. I was begging for more rec touches to Rham last year but we still could very much use a waterbug back like Achane, Gibbs, Vaughn from the draft.

With this group you're hoping OB turns Mac into a legit top 5-8 QB. If not we're fighting for 8-9 wins.

I'd be shocked if we don't make a move for a Hopkins or other WR.

Bryce Ford-Wheaton from West Virginia, Jonathan Mingo from Ole Miss, Andrei Iosivas from Princeton or Nebraska's Trey Palmer... all these guys can be had from the 3rd or 4th round on.

The best way to acquire impact WR's is to draft them.

Just didn't appreciate you telling me what my "premise" was. I certainly wasn't saying an elite WR = a championship. And made it clear when I posted points scored, pass yards etc. I was talking about the effects they give you.

Fair enough.

And thought it was weak to complain about the use of two TE with HOF rec capabilities. I mean Kelce's blocking has improved but hes a big slot. Not too mention SF has Deebo and Aiyuk.
It's just so far from the point whether it's a WR or TE. Honestly thought you would have known that.

I wasn't complaining about it, just noting that the discussion diverges with tight ends in general being added in since I was myopically focused on the Patriots' WR situation. But I understand why you added who you specified for reasons of comparison with other teams.

You really believe Hunter Henry, Kendrick Bourne, Tyquan Thornton and JuJu are playoff worthy?
Animated GIF

You won't last when the ice spiders as big as hounds come out the dark.

On paper it's clearly the worst group of targets in the division. Nothings played on paper but again that group doesn't scream playoffs.

Again, I'm looking at the group in toto including Parker and Gesicki (and hopefully a capable third-down back) augmented by what could be the division's strongest running game and a significantly improved Mac. While it might not "scream" playoffs, I'd think the offense could be playoff caliber. But if that requires addition of a Hopkins or highly drafted rookie WR, so be it.

I love there snap alignment and stuff like that but wouldn't cite their grades if they were water and i was on fire. Especially for QB and OL. OL is absolutely terrible. Idk it's tough to take them seriously when they have clear-cut agendas towards certain positions (RB, LB, OT) and are so off on OL play in general.

If you want to say Mac was 13 that's fine. It's not the biggest deal but he was average. Good for a rookie but an average starter.

I don't think Mac was better than ....
Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, Burrow, Hurts, Wentz, Herbert, Carr, Cousins, Stafford, Murray, Dak, Wilson, Tannehill, Jimmy, Jackson and Ryan. Again right around 15-18.

All Pats fans are rooting for Mac. There's nothing wrong with being objective though. To date he hasn't shown anything to suggest that he's more than average. He's been average with no glimpses of special. We've seen a few really good games but nothing MVP worthy or "special." Which even in a players worst season you can see something that indicates that. That's what gets me. I can take a **** year and get Patricia's influence but he didn't overcome much if anything. It's easy and fun to blame Patricia but that's a weak excuse imo to hammer 24/7 every time criticism of Mac comes up.

I don't find it fun to blame Patricia for Mac's performance woes last season but I do blame him more than you apparently do. I do hold Mac exclusively responsible for how he mishandled himself from the standpoints of poise and leadership.

So much rides on TT bc teams weren't scared of us beating them deep. Even still a full-time X would be great. Parker works, I like him but he's almost never healthy. I mean going into a season, during the year, to end the year. It's tough to count on him but he's a player. Thornton can play some snaps there but he's an ideal Z and move in the slot. We've been missing a true X for years along with a quick slot but JuJu and Bourne are more than enough there.

Bocking TE

If we're content with being average I'd sign Agholor back. Depending on Thornton for a full season as your only true deep threat is scary.

True 3rd down/rec back. I was begging for more rec touches to Rham last year but we still could very much use a waterbug back like Achane, Gibbs, Vaughn from the draft.

With this group you're hoping OB turns Mac into a legit top 5-8 QB. If not we're fighting for 8-9 wins.

I'd be shocked if we don't make a move for a Hopkins or other WR.

Re. third-down back: I noticed Ty Montgomery is making free-agent visits so it appears he might be gone after a wasted season here. Unless I'm forgetting someone it doesn't appear there's a good third-down back option currently on the roster.

BB might be waiting out the supposedly "soft" market for Hopkins to snag him affordably.

You need a top-flight WR to take the top off a defense. You need a guy who cannot be covered one-on-one and who is a deep threat so that a safety has to also be assigned to the guy. When a safety has to hang deep, it makes everything easier for the other WRs, the TEs, and even the running backs. The Patriots do not have that guy and I don't see how they will get him unless they can figure out how to draft such a WR. No way D-Hop would work with BB and I cannot see them giving up much draft capital to get a top-tier WR.

Last edited:
Jordan Addison!!!! That is all we need to add at the wide receiver position!

The guy I want, my binkie I guess you would call him, is Ohio State's Jaxon Smith-Njigba. I suspect that the Patriots chomping at the bit to get this guy also based on his 6.57 3-cone drill which was head and shoulders above everyone else. His 20-yard shuttle was also outstanding. Would the Patriots dare take him at 14? Yikes. Maybe they could trade back and take him. Of course, we do not know if he has all the super-boyscout traits that BB seems to obsess about.

Jordan Addison!!!! That is all we need to add at the wide receiver position!
I don't think we've ever drafted a WR under 180. I doubt Bill breaks the mold on an outlier with a premium pick.
The guy I want, my binkie I guess you would call him, is Ohio State's Jaxon Smith-Njigba. I suspect that the Patriots chomping at the bit to get this guy also based on his 6.57 3-cone drill which was head and shoulders above everyone else. His 20-yard shuttle was also outstanding. Would the Patriots dare take him at 14? Yikes. Maybe they could trade back and take him. Of course, we do not know if he has all the super-boyscout traits that BB seems to obsess about.
It's him or QJ in the 1st. I wouldn't be happy about either at 14 but I wouldn't hate it either. JSN has one of the highest floors I've seen. Very natural and smart. His footwork, poise and awareness are special. I think he's a 100/1K guy from year one. Possible Kupp peak for a few years but limited ceiling due being slot only. I suspect he'll be WR1 on our board with QJ close behind. We love the HWS guys and could ease him in the slot early on. He played about 25% there and is a yac monster. Him and Thornton could be quite the duo if they both hit. Two guys that need real development and time though. JSN will hit the ground running day 1.

Which is probably what will happen, sending the board into meltdown they didn't draft a WR.
Ha, yes, of course. The board is pretty much guaranteed to go into meltdown during every BB draft. 2022 was a good example. First meltdown was the lead-up and building excitement for the pick at 21. Lots of good players and binkies available...and then a trade down, i.e. pickus-interruptus and meltdown. Then the Strange pick and another meltdown. Great theater.

In month we will get to relive the frustration, surprise, and anger all over again.

I don't think we've ever drafted a WR under 180. I doubt Bill breaks the mold on an outlier with a premium pick.

It's him or QJ in the 1st. I wouldn't be happy about either at 14 but I wouldn't hate it either. JSN has one of the highest floors I've seen. Very natural and smart. His footwork, poise and awareness are special. I think he's a 100/1K guy from year one. Possible Kupp peak for a few years but limited ceiling due being slot only. I suspect he'll be WR1 on our board with QJ close behind. We love the HWS guys and could ease him in the slot early on. He played about 25% there and is a yac monster. Him and Thornton could be quite the duo if they both hit. Two guys that need real development and time though. JSN will hit the ground running day 1.
JSN exploded in 2021. 95 receptions Showed his elite talent
The other 2 years. 15 receptions. Will give him a pass on year 1 of College.
But he was injured all last year.
Does the injury bug he had last year scare you away from using pick 14 on him

JSN exploded in 2021. 95 receptions Showed his elite talent
The other 2 years. 15 receptions. Will give him a pass on year 1 of College.
But he was injured all last year.
Does the injury bug he had last year scare you away from using pick 14 on him
Production matters a lot for me when looking at that position but he's such a technician when it comes to the things that really matter. High iq, high floor. I wouldn't be happy about taking either at 14. Value is more 20's, early 2nd for both Q and him but they're the guys you want to bet on before anyone else.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back