PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm on Team Stidham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, you guys know who else is apparently on Team Stidham?

Bill and Josh.

Patriots Mailbag: How High Are Pats On Jarrett Stidham At Quarterback?

Here’s another nugget: I was told after the draft that the Patriots like Stidham more than they liked Jimmy Garoppolo.

And I know what you’re thinking: “typical Patriots spin.” That ain’t it. This isn’t coming from someone who stands to gain anything by pumping up the Patriots.

My apologies for not reading this whole thread before asking my question. If its already answered somewhere here - my bad.
I often read that Stidham became a fourth-rounder, because he was not utilized in auburn to his full potential/strengths. Talentwise he was considered a first-round pick before his last season.
So what does that mean? How was he utilized and how should he have been utilized?

Gator Mike probably answered it better, but let me try also. The Auburn coach, Gus Malzahn has an offense where everything centers around the run, and the QB is supposed to run and also do lots of toss fakes, etc. Two examples of QBs who thrived in that offense are Cam Newton who won a Heisman trophy at Auburn (at that time Gus Malzahn was the Offensive Coordinator instead of the Head Coach) and Nick Marshall. Cam Newton of course was a terror for defenses when running the ball, and Nick Marshall was a converted DB who as a great runner took Auburn to the National Championship game (and had a brief NFL career as a DB). In both cases, not only were they great running quarterbacks but Nick Marshall was clearly a run first, pass second QB, and that is the type of QB that thrives in that system.

Stidham was simply not that type of QB and the Auburn coach couldn't seem to adjust his system to his QB. And Stidham seemed to really lose confidence late last year, and didn't perform very well under pressure.

I think he has plenty of arm talent and he seems bright (not Brady football smarts, but nobody is). My main worry with him is his confidence and his mental toughness. If things go semi-fairly well for him early on (with the fantastic coaching of Josh Daniels and BB) I think he could be fine and grow in confidence. If he repeatedly crashes and burns then he could be like other QB prospects that lose confidence.

.....By the way, I suspect that is why BB didn't draft or bring in another QB, I think he thinks Stidham has the necessary talent and BB wants to try to build up his confidence this year. I guess we'll see (probably 1 hour after I type this BB will bring in someone like Andy Dalton) ;)

Jarrett Stidham Is the Reason the Patriots Didn't Draft a Quarterback in 2020

Rumors started circling at the NFL Scouting Combine in late February that the Patriots were ready for life after Brady should he decide to walk in free agency, with one top agent telling me that he was trying to set up calls with New England to talk about his free agency or quarterback prospects in the draft.

Those calls, per the agent, came and went without a response from the Patriots. "They like the guy they have," he told me in a predraft call.

But is Stidham good or just cheap?

He's good.

Speaking to scouts pre- and post-draft this April, many believe that Stidham was better than Jordan Love as a prospect and would have ranked as the No. 3 or 4 quarterback in the 2020 class—behind only Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa.

"Let's not forget that after his junior season the kid looked like a first-rounder, then Auburn ruined him in '18 with that terrible supporting cast," said an SEC area scout.

Said the one Patriots staffer who would return a text for this piece, "Go ahead and get excited about him."

QB: Jarrett Stidham
RB: Damien Harris
WR: N'Keal Harry, Jakobi Meyers
TE: Devin Asiasi, Dalton Keene

If these young skill position players (as well as whoever flows through from the UDFA class) can develop chemistry with Stidham, with the best coaching staff in the NFL, why shouldn't we dream about a bright offensive future? Big names don't always start off as big names, something worth remembering.

The schemes must capitalize on what these players collectively do well and if so, we may well be pleasantly surprised.

QB: Jarrett Stidham
RB: Damien Harris
WR: N'Keal Harry, Jakobi Meyers
TE: Devin Asiasi, Dalton Keene

If these young skill position players (as well as whoever flows through from the UDFA class) can develop chemistry with Stidham, with the best coaching staff in the NFL, why shouldn't we dream about a bright offensive future? Big names don't always start off as big names, something worth remembering.

The schemes must capitalize on what these players collectively do well and if so, we may well be pleasantly surprised.

We keep hearing they like Stidham and I believe it but still thought they would draft someone else to compete for the job. Competition isn't a bad thing and if you're wrong you have another option. LETS GO STUDHAM!

Stidham will show he’s the REAL DEAL, like Madonna in 1983.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes