PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm on Team Stidham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason we didn't take any receivers is because the offense won't involve airing it out very often. Its going to be a smashmouth offense with alot of running the ball and giving Stidham some easy throws. Since he's so new, we can't take the training wheels off yet.

I for the life of me will never understand how anyone posting on here thinks they know more than BB and the staff when it comes to where players are in their development.

If BB and Josh are comfortable at least going into 2020 with Stidham as the guy (assuming that is the plan), then how are you not? You don't see him on the practice field, in the meeting room etc...but the coaches do everyday and feel at this moment he is their best option.

If he is a ****show then we get a high draft pick and have cleared all the dead cap space from the books and have 110+ mil to go shopping.

If he is deemed to the guy then you have the QB position locked up for a couple of years at well below market rate and 110+ mil to go shopping.

It's a win - can't lose situation.

I haven't been excited for regular season Patriots football outside of opening weekend and a few marque games since 2008 when Brady got hurt. The regular season was a given Division, most likely a bye and the AFCCG...the only real questions were are we going to make it to the Super Bowl and would we win it.

This year is role reversal. Have zero expectations for a SB and will be eager to see if Stidham is the guy and to watch how BB re-engineers this football team. And how much re-engineering they do. How will the offense change, will they incorporate some RPOs, etc...

Instead of worrying about losing or winning the Super Bowl this season. Let's watch the greatest HC in the history of the NFL do his thing. We already lost Brady, BB won't be around forever, so try to enjoy the last leg of the trip before it all changes.

Check out last year's preseason game3 tape. Stidham looks ok with a clean pocket. He kind of leaves his WRs for huge hits by defenders. When pressured he has no composure and makes bad throws or gets sacked easily or fumbles the ball. He still seems very raw aside from times when he has a totally clean pocket.

Main thing is this kid has to improve when facing pass pressure. Typical for a young qb. His career will live or die on making sure he doesn't hold the ball too long.

Main thing is this kid has to improve when facing pass pressure. Typical for a young qb. His career will live or die on making sure he doesn't hold the ball too long.

Like you said... nothing that unusual for a young rookie QB. What (hopefully) will help is better OL play than last year.

Matt Cassel put up 3700 yards 21TD 11int for the Pats. On one hand it was a loaded offense on the other hand he was super inexperienced and never started before since high school !!!

I expect Stidham to be in the vicinity of 3500 yards, 20 TD and 10int. If he becomes an int machine then he is done here.

Last edited:
Matt Cassel put up 3700 yards 21TD 11int for the Pats. On one hand it was a loaded offense on the other hand he never started before since high school !!!

I expect Stidham to be in the vicinity of 3500 yards, 20 TD and 10int. If he becomes an int machine then he is done here.

hmm, the 2007 team was one of the best of all time; the 2008 schedule was one of the easiest of all time.

It seems that Cassell is a poor comparison.

Reason we didn't take any receivers is because the offense won't involve airing it out very often. Its going to be a smashmouth offense with alot of running the ball and giving Stidham some easy throws. Since he's so new, we can't take the training wheels off yet.
Actually, it’s common for a smash mouth offense to have one or more speedy receivers on the offense. It helps in keeping the safeties from cheating down into the box too much.

Actually, it’s common for a smash mouth offense to have one or more speedy receivers on the offense. It helps in keeping the safeties from cheating down into the box too much.

Bethel Johnson for 30 balls a season

hmm, the 2007 team was one of the best of all time; the 2008 schedule was one of the easiest of all time.

It seems that Cassell is a poor comparison.

The first half of this past season was an easier schedule than that one imo.

The Cassel Pats also went 4-0 that December, winning 3 games on the road including in Seattle - a place Brady has never won. They trucked the soon to be NFC Champion Cardinals along the way. No question the team was playing its best football at the right time and might have made noise in the playoffs if they didn't run out of games and got there. Cassel wasn't really the problem with that team it was the defense took a big step backwards, a decline that bottomed out in 2011.

Matt Cassel put up 3700 yards 21TD 11int for the Pats. On one hand it was a loaded offense on the other hand he was super inexperienced and never started before since high school !!!

If studham puts up those numbers i would be ecstatic.

Matt Cassel put up 3700 yards 21TD 11int for the Pats. On one hand it was a loaded offense on the other hand he never started before since high school !!!

In 2019, I don’t think there was a single QB that started 16 games and threw for less that 3500 yards. So if this is true in 2020, Stidham will likely be dead last in passing yards among QBs. The numbers you are referencing are Mitch Tribisky level bad.

I stand corrected on the above. I think Josh Allen is in that class And, yes Jackson is there too, but I think he has some other talents that are unique.

I’m saying those numbers with the personnel we have is great especially considering a second year QB.
In today’s NFL, those stats likely lead to a below .500 season unless they put up rushing yards like the Ravens.

I wonder whether Stidham is among the top 30 NFL quarterbacks. IMO, many teams have 2 better than Stidham.

In 2019, I don’t think there was a single QB that started 16 games and threw for less that 3500 yards. So if this is true in 2020, Stidham will likely be dead last in passing yards among QBs. The numbers you are referencing are Mitch Tribisky level bad.

Agree with you. So yeah I'm setting a low bar. If he isn't in the vicinity of 3500 yards, 20TD 10int as the basement bar, time to get another QB. I hope the kid works his arse off and realizes he only has 1 shot at this thing. He should be obsessed with studying blitzes and knowing where to throw decisively within 1 second

I wonder whether Stidham is among the top 30 NFL quarterbacks. IMO, many teams have 2 better than Stidham.

Fun fact: Brady's QBR last year was tied for 17th in the league with Winston, he of the 30 INTs. Also posted a 78 passer rating since October as I've mentioned more than once.

Stidham will never be TFB the GOAT but outperforming the more dislikeable 2019 version of Tompa Tom shouldn't be that tall of a task.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots