PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'll admit i was wrong - Amendola didn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
But just because you don't like Amendola, don't change what happened today to make it proof they should have kept Welker. Welker wouldn't have made much of a difference today. Sanders or Hilton might have because the Pats were missing speed on the outside and down the field, not another slot.

I never said I didn’t like Amendola, I gave him as much a shot of anyone on this board during camp and preseason but he let me down. If he was here as a 3rd option making $1.5-$2 million annually I would be fine with him but to have him earning in the top tier of this team and doing what he did today is unacceptable.

The reason I wanted Hilton or Sanders is because they’re Y-WRs and I believed Edelman was going to emerge (not to the degree that he has but well enough) and since he did that pushes him or Amendola to the Y-WR where one of those 2 players would have been better. I am a big Boyce fan and hope he makes the 2nd year leap in which case he would be ideal for that Y-WR role but I want Edelman back so all that does is push Amendola to #4 which makes him even less of a factor.

Cant dispute that the first year of Amendola was disappointing. Hopefully he makes a big jump next year in production. Still believe the team needs a true deep depth to help open up the middle game that the other WRs and TE are good at. If that guy is Dobson, he needs to make a big jump next year. Pats gotta realize Brady's window is closing and can't hope that rookies as weapons will get him to the end.

People should remember that Amendola had nearly as many catches this year as Edelman had in his first four years with the Pats. Football careers last longer than one season.

The ex-Ram Amendola signing was just brutal, look at the payouts below. Trumps the terrible trade to give up a draft pick to get ex-Ram WR Greg Salas.

Amendola's contract is horrifically bad and will hamstring what this team can do in the off-season. The cap hit is decently bad if they do anything this year, they have to hold onto his terrible contract for another few years.

YEAR BASE S. BONUS MISC. CAP HIT DEAD
2013 2,000,000 1,200,000 343,750 3,543,750 10,000,000
2014 3,000,000 1,200,000 500,000 4,700,000 6,800,000
2015 4,000,000 1,200,000 500,000 5,700,000 3,600,000
2016 5,000,000 1,200,000 500,000 6,700,000 2,400,000
2017 6,000,000 1,200,000 500,000 7,700,000 1,200,000

Danny Amendola Contracts, Salaries, Cap Hits, & Transactions

People should remember that Amendola had nearly as many catches this year as Edelman had in his first four years with the Pats. Football careers last longer than one season.

So what? It isn't whether Amendola or Edelman is better (though Edelman clearly had a much better year). The issue is giving $5M a year for 5 years to Amendola who didn't deserve it, didn't fill a need since they had plenty of inside receivers, and wasn't the outside receiver solution the team needed last off-season

So what? It isn't whether Amendola or Edelman is better (though Edelman clearly had a much better year). The issue is giving $5M a year for 5 years to Amendola who didn't deserve it, didn't fill a need since they had plenty of inside receivers, and wasn't the outside receiver solution the team needed last off-season

You kind of missed my point. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, I'm saying that if we'd given up on Edelman so prematurely then we wouldn't have had this season out of him. Premature rushes to judgement are not how decent football teams are run.

And who were these inside receivers they had when Amendola was signed out of interest? Edelman was a free agent, welker was off to the Broncos and the draft hadn't happened.

LOL @ people saying "Well if he wasn't injured, he'd be good".

No ****ing ****.

We all know he's good when healthy, we also also ALL KNEW HE DOESN'T STAY HEALTHY.

Period. He will never, ever, ever be healthy enough to be worth what we're paying for him. It was an awful move and anyone still defending it at this point is laughable.

Losing Welker is one thing, but letting him go to the Broncos and help Manning have the greatest season of his career, again, just inexcusable.

LOL @ people saying "Well if he wasn't injured, he'd be good".

No ****ing ****.

We all know he's good when healthy, we also also ALL KNEW HE DOESN'T STAY HEALTHY.

Period. He will never, ever, ever be healthy enough to be worth what we're paying for him. It was an awful move and anyone still defending it at this point is laughable.

Losing Welker is one thing, but letting him go to the Broncos and help Manning have the greatest season of his career, again, just inexcusable.

Amendola is NOT reliable. Do you really want to say, "hey maybe he will be better next year...". Well, Brady does not have that many years left..

The urgency for Patriots must be, win now. Get the weapons, Secondary, and OL help in 2014 season.

Isn't this what the Broncos did in the 2013 season? They are in the SB now.

Not saying he will be worth the money - but as far as injuries go and him staying healthy - THE SAME THINGS were said about Edelman before this season.

Not saying he will be worth the money - but as far as injuries go and him staying healthy - THE SAME THINGS were said about Edelman before this season.

Thank you. some sense and a memory longer than a goldfish.

Isn't this what the Broncos did in the 2013 season? They are in the SB now.
No, the Broncos had most of the weapons already on the team, lucked into Manning being available in free agency, and then had Welker begging them to sign him. They never really went out of their way to surround Manning with weapons outside of their non-Moreno RBs and Jacob Tamme, none of whom are anything special. The defense didn't really add any difference makers either except DRC, and he's a worse player than Talib, who the Patriots went out and added.

Thank you. some sense and a memory longer than a goldfish.

Edelman is making less than $1 million dollars after his injury plagued seasons. Amendola is set to average $5 million per.

That's a big difference you're both ignoring. But....

I don't really get this thread. Amendola v. Welker was over by about week 5 at the latest. With that out of the way, and the Patriots base decision obviously shown to be the wrong one by then, the only question left now is whether Amendola will provide anything like a reasonable return on the investment, and this season was never going to show us that because of a nagging injury. We're now stuck in a holding pattern with this guy.

Edelman is making less than $1 million dollars after his injury plagued seasons. Amendola is set to average $5 million per.

That's a big difference you're both ignoring. But....

It's irrelevant.

It's irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant at all, if you're trying to bring Edelman into the equation. Edelman was brought back because he cost almost nothing. If Edelman had been looking for $5 million, he wouldn't be a Patriot today. The ability to gamble on risky players changes with the money invested.

I don't want to get into the whole Welker debate again, but at the time of the Amendola signing, it was clear that he was to tasked to be Welker's replacement. Given the timeframes around Welker's and Amendola's contract negotiations. The fact of the matter is Edelman beat out Amendola for the position that is the centrepiece of this offense.

What concerns me is the trust placed on McD on personnel decisions. While I tend to defend his playcalling more than others, his track record on personnel is poor at best (D. Thomas and Decker notwithstanding).

There is no way they let Edelman go, so now you have a slot guy (Amendola) playing the outside where he seems to be useless. Ironically, Edelman has demonstrated the ability to play outside as well.

Hindsight is 20/20 and you cant change the Ahern situation or the Gronk injury, but a WR corp of Edelman, Welker, and say Keenan Allen (who many were high on at draft time) would have better positioned this team to withstand the TE issues they faced this year.

It's not irrelevant at all, if you're trying to bring Edelman into the equation. Edelman was brought back because he cost almost nothing. If Edelman had been looking for $5 million, he wouldn't be a Patriot today. The ability to gamble on risky players changes with the money invested.

It has nothing to do with giving Amendola another season.

Maybe I give you too much credit because now this is just getting desperate. Do you understand what opportunity is Manx? If you do not give someone the opportunity to do something it is impossible for them to do it. Coming into this season Edelman had been targeted 122 times in his career resulting in 83 receptions for 789 receiving yards and 6 touchdowns; Edelman had less opportunity and therefore he did not have a lot of receptions. I am sure if he was not playing behind Welker, on a team with Gronkowski and Hernandez, as well as being out in St Louis on a team with no receivers he would have been much more successful than Amendola who was mediocre in St Louis and now has been mediocre in New England.

You disparage a player who was successful in his first season being a higher than a 5th or 6th option on the team but make excuses and dangle the carrot for a player that has been receiving first team reps and been the #1 target on his team since the end of the 2009 season and never registered anything even close to the season Amendola delivered this season.

Amendola entered the NFL in 2008 and has had the opportunity to be a top target on his team since 2009 so I have to ask the question how many players make the 7th year leap that you know of? I would really love to hear some names.

Maybe I give you too much credit because now this is just getting desperate. Do you understand what opportunity is Manx? If you do not give someone the opportunity to do something it is impossible for them to do it. Coming into this season Edelman had been targeted 122 times in his career resulting in 83 receptions for 789 receiving yards and 6 touchdowns; Edelman had less opportunity and therefore he did not have a lot of receptions. I am sure if he was not playing behind Welker, on a team with Gronkowski and Hernandez, as well as being out in St Louis on a team with no receivers he would have been much more successful than Amendola who was mediocre in St Louis and now has been mediocre in New England.

You disparage a player who was successful in his first season being a higher than a 5th or 6th option on the team but make excuses and dangle the carrot for a player that has been receiving first team reps and been the #1 target on his team since the end of the 2009 season and never registered anything even close to the season Amendola delivered this season.

Amendola entered the NFL in 2008 and has had the opportunity to be a top target on his team since 2009 so I have to ask the question how many players make the 7th year leap that you know of? I would really love to hear some names.

I haven't disparaged anyone, I leave that up to you. I just made a factual observation.

It has nothing to do with giving Amendola another season.

You can keep claiming that it has nothing to do with one thing after the other, but you'll continue being wrong if you do, because it does have to do with such things:

To repeat... Edelman got paid less than $1mil. Amendola got paid, say, $5mil. That's all the difference in the world, because trying to invoke Edelman finally remaining healthy, when he was paid peanuts, does not work when you're saying "But maybe Amendola can do it too!" when he's being paid a significant chunk of change, which is almost certainly why the poster was trying to separate the pair on that issue in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back