PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If you had to redo the 2021 draft...

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
With 20/20 hindsight, how should the draft have gone?

I don't track a lot of teams beside the Patriots, but I think that Mac should have been picked number one overall. After that it is hard to say. Waddle? What do you think?

I think that Trey Lance would have been a solid third rounder.

NFL.com did a similar exercise a few weeks ago where they only re-slotted the QBs and they still put Mac 4th or 5th at his position. Basically their entire difference was "still drafted later than other players and QBs, but the Steelers get to have him instead".

Sometime within the next twelve months either Shanahan or Lynch, maybe both, will be joining San Francisco's growing homeless population.

Sometime within the next twelve months either Shanahan or Lynch, maybe both, will be joining San Francisco's growing homeless population.

They’d be living legends in SF after back to back championships if they took Brady. How do you stop a double TE set of Gronk/Kittle with Deebo/AB on the outside with that run game and play calling

If Mac was #1 he probably would not have flourished in Jax, Trevor Lawrence is struggling under the influence of Urban Meyer..

Meanwhile surrounded by excellent, consistent coaching Mac has done A+..

If Mac was #1 he probably would not have flourished in Jax, Trevor Lawrence is struggling under the influence of Urban Meyer..

There isn't a rookie QB in history that wouldn't struggle in Jax. I think Mac would have done better than Lawrence though for sure

I have no idea how a redraft would go so early into their careers but I will go with the unpopular opinion that the 49ers may still have made the right decision. Lance is a project that still intrigues me and was my favorite qb in the draft.

Originally I wondered how much better Mac was than Kyle Trask, but he is clearly light years ahead of what I expected. It was hard for me to clearly separate his talent from the high rounders around him. Look at Colt McCoy. McCoy looked great in college only to play like garbage in the nfl. The same negatives placed on McCoy could easily be applied to Mac to a certain degree w/ the questionable arm strength etc. I thought Mac was worthy of a late 1st round when instead he is playing like a 1st overall selection that required multiple 1st rnd picks lol.

If Mac were picked 1 or 2, he should have held out until he was traded or go back into the draft this year.

I think mac would be doing really good in san fran, maybe even better than he is for us. 3 is where he probably should have gone. Unless lance turns into something really special they totally effed that up.

They’d be living legends in SF after back to back championships if they took Brady. How do you stop a double TE set of Gronk/Kittle with Deebo/AB on the outside with that run game and play calling

@carmelo15….Shocker that you’d come to a thread about this year’s draft and try to make it Brady-centric. You post regular in a PATS FANS website but never post about the current Patriots team (unless you can somehow shoehorn the love of your life Tommy into the conversation). Even Deus occasionally comments on the 2021 Pats, before turning his focus back to his favorite team in FL.

You have cemented your status as a troll here….now scurry back to the Tompa Gronka thread.

Last edited:
I love Mac but I still think Lawrence would go first, and I shudder to think of Mac being sacrificed to the volcano with the second pick. Chase would go 3rd and Barmore 4th. I don’t have time to revisit the entire first round so I will go with Pitts at #5.

For QBs: Lawrence, Mac, Fields, Wilson, Lance.

Wilson hadn't played against quality teams and it shows. Lance is intriguing, sure, but he wasn't nearly ready.

The 49ers sucked in 2020 because they were wracked with injury, Deebo went on the IR coming out of camp, their O-Line was a mess and Jimmy was injured.

Do Tom’s magical powers create a force field of protection around players, does it make a bad O-Line good, do they create defensive plays?

Fanboys live in a world of magical unicorns and fairy dust. Tom won a ring in 2020 because he went to Tampa, on the Raiders and 49ers he falls flat on his face. Give us a break.

Last edited:
It is too early to redo the draft. i still think Lawrence is the best QB of the bunch.

I don’t think I would draft Wilson second. I have seen enough of the guy to believe he doesn’t have the football intelligence to be a great QB. His natural instinct on every play is to take off a try to extend the play and try to the big pass when the right move is to check down and take the quick dump off. I am not not sure that can be coached out of him. I know the current Jets staff won’t do it.

Lance is so raw that I am not sure he will be ready to start next year. And I felt that when he was drafted. I thought he could be two years from starting when he was drafted.

And Fields’ playing style makes me think he could end up having an RGIII type of injury filled career.

San Fran passes on Brady for camazi in 2000!

San Fran passes on Jones for lance in 2021!

this is why San Fran fans consume more alcohol than any other fan base not based in New York!

Probably includes the coaches too. Lol.

I love Mac but I still think Lawrence would go first, and I shudder to think of Mac being sacrificed to the volcano with the second pick. Chase would go 3rd and Barmore 4th. I don’t have time to revisit the entire first round so I will go with Pitts at #5.
I agree that Lawrence would still go first. Jacksonville is such a mess (both with the team and with coaching) it is hard not to give Lawrence a pass as a rookie. There are certain players that have that certain "something" in college, not only great play but their teammates are willing to run into walls for them and they have the ability to raise their games in the biggest circumstances. Deshaun Jackson at Clemson and Dak Prescott at Mississippi State were two QBs like that, I simply didn't see how they were going to fail given their performance, their team leadership, and their ability to raise their game on the biggest stage. And I think Lawrence at Clemson was in the same category, I would be surprised to see him as a bust long term, I think he will eventually succeed whether at Jacksonville or elsewhere.

Lawrence still goes #1. But as I’ve stated before the draft, Lawerence should’ve refused Jacksonville and NY to go to SF at the very worst. Ditto with any top QB.

Wilson has no business going 2nd to the Jets.

Kaep clone Lance had no business going 3rd to the 9ers.

Fields and Jones should’ve been the 2nd and 3rd QB’s off of the board.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back