PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If this is not a championship roster I don't know what is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd take the Chargers and Broncos roster right now over the Pats.

The Chargers with major holes in their skill position players?
The Broncos?!

Re: If this is not a Championship roster I dont know what is...

Jabar Gaffney is going to finish the season with more receptions than Welker or Stallworth. Write that down.

I tried but my hand was shaking too hard with laughter.

This is a pretty good job. We all might have a change or two. Many here like Gaffney's chances (not me)

OFFENSE (25)
1) I expect Jackson and/or Brown to be on the PUP list. Both would mean adding Gaffney.
2) I see no reason for 6 WR's.
3) I would add a ninth OL

DEFENSE (25)
Pretty solid, although Andrews, Mitchell and/or the corner just signed could make it, replacing Hawkins and Samuel.

Getting To 53: New England Patriots Roster Prediction
By Tony Moss, NFL Editor

(Sports Network) -

Below we take our stab at predicting how the 53-man roster of the 2007 New England Patriots will take shape:

QB (3): Tom Brady, Matt Cassel, Vinny Testaverde

RB (5): Laurence Maroney, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk, Heath Evans (FB), Garrett Mills (FB/TE)

WR (6): Randy Moss, Donte' Stallworth, Wes Welker, Reche Caldwell, Troy Brown, Chad Jackson

TE (3): Ben Watson, Kyle Brady, David Thomas

OL (8): Matt Light (LT), Logan Mankins (LG), Dan Koppen (C), Stephen Neal (RG), Nick Kaczur (RT), Russ Hochstein (C/G), Ryan O'Callaghan (T), Wes Britt (T)

DL (7): Ty Warren (DE), Richard Seymour (DE), Jarvis Green (DE), Vince Wilfork (NT), Mike Wright (NT), Kareem Brown (DL), Kenny Smith (DL)

LB (9): Adalius Thomas (OLB), Roosevelt Colvin (OLB), Tedy Bruschi (ILB), Mike Vrabel (ILB), Junior Seau (ILB), Eric Alexander (LB), Larry Izzo (LB), Chad Brown (LB), Pierre Woods (LB)

DB (9): Asante Samuel (CB), Ellis Hobbs (CB), Eugene Wilson (FS), Rodney Harrison (SS), Brandon Meriweather (S), Artrell Hawkins (S), James Sanders (S), Randall Gay (CB), Tory James (CB)

SP (3): Stephen Gostkowski (K), Josh Miller (P), Lonie Paxton (LS)

Outside Looking In: WR Kelley Washington, WR Jabar Gaffney, T Clint Oldenburg, G Gene Mruczkowski, LB Justin Rogers, LB Corey Mays, S Willie Andrews

Copyright 2007 Courtesy of The Sports Network

OFFENSE (25)
1) I expect Jackson and/or Brown to be on the PUP list. Both would mean adding Gaffney.
2) I see no reason for 6 WR's.
3) I would add a ninth OL

That's how i've got it currently.
Chad & Troy PUPpies. Gaffney on the 53.
5 WRs.
9 OLs.

To me, its all about Harrison and Wilson being healthy. If they are, this could be one of the top teams ever.

I don't understand the fight over the number of offensive linemen. I don't think there is any question with regard to the goal each camp. It is to have 11 offensive linemen, nine on the roster and two on the Practice Squad. Yes, offensive linemen need to be flexible. That is obviously so for backups. There are five starters. The two Game Day backups must be able to backup all five positions between them, although occasionally one of the starters could shift to LT. The final four can be at any positions, and on the 53 or the Practice Squad. None are active on Game Day. Sometimes we pay a Practice Squad player full salary.

Of course, we've gone into the playoffs with seven offensive linemen. So? That's how many we need on Game Day. That is precisely why we need to start with more in case of injuries. And while flexibility of position is important to dante, the issue is somehat overblown. If we could, we'd have nine players who played LT in college; that is where the talent is.

I don't understand the fight over the number of offensive linemen. I don't think there is any question with regard to the goal each camp. It is to have 11 offensive linemen, nine on the roster and two on the Practice Squad. Yes, offensive linemen need to be flexible. That is obviously so for backups. There are five starters. The two Game Day backups must be able to backup all five positions between them, although occasionally one of the starters could shift to LT. The final four can be at any positions, and on the 53 or the Practice Squad. None are active on Game Day. Sometimes we pay a Practice Squad player full salary.

Of course, we've gone into the playoffs with seven offensive linemen. So? That's how many we need on Game Day. That is precisely why we need to start with more in case of injuries. And while flexibility of position is important to dante, the issue is somehat overblown. If we could, we'd have nine players who played LT in college; that is where the talent is.

I agree; I also prefer 9 OLmen to start the season. If healthy, those 9 should be:
Light - Mankins - Koppen - Neal - Kaczur
Britt - Hochstein - Yates (?) - O'Callahan

I still don't understand why all of Oldenberg and Hilliard and Elgin were drafted; not only were there better OLmen available (e.g., Doug Datish instead of Oldenberg), but there were positions of greater need for depth that were not addressed.

I guess I should hold judgement until the pre-season games have concluded, but what's the fun in that?

I still don't understand why all of Oldenberg and Hilliard and Elgin were drafted; not only were there better OLmen available (e.g., Doug Datish instead of Oldenberg), but there were positions of greater need for depth that were not addressed.

I think that Oldenberg has a higher potential ceiling than Datish e.g.starting LT. He is very new to the position (former TE) but he has the right size/speed ratio (not to mention footwork) to have a shot at developing beyond what he did in college. It's going to take some time though. I remember his coach saying his biggest fault was his lack of power. With a year at the training table and the Scharnechia School of the Practice Squad Olinemen, he may have a shot.

Last edited:
Yates deserved at least a mention for being left off of the list.

That said, I'm guessing Vinny T doesn't actually wind up on the opening day 53. Give that slot to a young OL -- presumably Yates, unless his injury becomes an issue -- who does indeed require a weekly paycheck.

Mills -- don't laugh -- may be competing with Andrews as much as anybody. Yes, I realize they play different ST roles. Still, they're both no-apologies ST guys who are questionable in terms of their near-term contribution on other downs.

Or maybe it's Mills/Lua.

That said, if Thomas starts out PUPed, Mills gets more time to produce.

also for me Gaffney will make the roster

LOL...we could have the '89 49ers roster and he'd still be telling us we aren't that good.
At least he's not here saying the fins will be better than the Pats like he was last year at this time. Although to be fair, a few national mediots were saying the same thing! (Daunte who?)

He is also taking for granted that Asante will come back to the team. I hope he is right.

At least he's not here saying the fins will be better than the Pats like he was last year at this time. Although to be fair, a few national mediots were saying the same thing! (Daunte who?)

Such as SuperChicken himself, the nutty perfesser, John Clayton.

As one who has suffered a knee injury myself, I hate to hear of anyone dealing with that injury - no matter how strong a rivalry

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes