PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Mac and BB have irreconcilable differences, what is Mac’s trade value?

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
To clarify, this is not me saying let’s move on from Mac. This is just playing out the scenario that both sides sour in the relationship and the team decides on a fresh start.

What would we get in return? If I had to guess, a 2023 second plus another conditional pick in 24 based on playing time/performance would make sense.

Best fit would seem to be Tampa. Tampa will not be in a position to draft a premium QB, and are in a cap position where they will likely need a cheaper option.

Mac gives them that for the next couple of seasons, and they can give him the 5th year if he plays well for them next year.

Mac to Tampa for a 2023 2nd and a 2024 3rd that turns into a 2nd if he meets performance incentives? Just spitballing what a trade would look like.

Read the first sentence arch, this input doesn’t provide much here.

And why do you assume that 100%? Bill
would not even commit to him in the final postgame presser. Assuming that there’s no way it’s possible seems rather short sighted.
Why talk about a hypothetical when it has zero chance of happening? You're convinced that there's some rift between BB and Mac and you're looking for people to validate your supposition. Mac is a highly drafted 1st round pick on his rookie deal who wasn't put in the best position to succeed. He's got at least another year or even two to prove it on his rookie deal before the team has to decide to sign him long term or not.

Why talk about a hypothetical when it has zero chance of happening? You're convinced that there's some rift between BB and Mac and you're looking for people to validate your supposition. Mac is a highly drafted 1st round pick on his rookie deal who wasn't put in the best position to succeed. He's got at least another year or even two to prove it on his rookie deal before the team has to decide to sign him long term or not.
So a complete hypothetical is being gatekeeped from even being discussed because you think it has a 0% chance of happening. Am I getting this right?

Hopefully Bill has the character and honesty to admit that nearly all of Mac's problems this year are attributable to Bill's failures this year in managing the team.

As for Mac's trade value: maybe a 3rd rounder? I remain open to Mac's ability to become a middle-of-the-road NFL starter, but he has not yet been afforded an opportunity to show either that his ceiling is any higher or that it is a lock that even such mediocrity in within his grasp. Not his fault in my judgment, but there it is.

So a complete hypothetical is being gatekeeped from even being discussed because you think it has a 0% chance of happening. Am I getting this right?
Not gatekeeping anything. There's no way they're trading a second (now third) year QB on his original contract. It makes no sense.

Why do you think that it's a certainty that he will be traded? Why would that make sense for the football team? Are you a Team Zappe guy?

Last edited:
I believe other teams would look at it as "low risk, low investment, high reward"

Trading him after the season he just had would be terrible. The Patriots would have little to no leverage to demand anything. It'd be perceived as out of desperation or a _need_ to get rid of him, which would further drive down their leverage.

Not gatekeeping anything. There's no way they're trading a rookie QB on his original contract. It makes no sense.

Why do you think that it's a certainty that he will be traded? Why would that make sense for the football team? Are you a Team Zappe guy?
Never did I say that was remotely anything that was a certainty. You stated that.

Nuance seems to be a problem for you here. Surely you don’t see everything that black and white, do you?

Not gatekeeping anything. There's no way they're trading a rookie QB on his original contract. It makes no sense.

You took the bait, my man.

All the "relationship soured" chit is media speculation designed to get clicks, nothing more.

Never did I say that was remotely anything that was a certainty. You stated that.

Nuance seems to be a problem for you here. Surely you don’t see everything that black and white, do you?
You earlier that there's definitely a rift between BB and Mac because he refused to endorse him in a press conference and there's a pretty good chance he gets traded.

He's on a rookie contract with zero leverage.

Don't trade him, let him and Zappe battle it out next offseason with a qualified NFL offensive coordinator and let the best man win.

Assuming they find their offensive coach and have another offseason like the last two, this will be a really good team next season.

Mac should have an opportunity to redeem himself in a good situation, or lose the job outright.

Jared Stidham.

Hopefully BB moves on at QB for 2023, but if Sack Jones is still around in 2023, I give him 4 games as Starter. 2 - 2 win loss and he keeps the job for another 4 games. The Patriots can't afford to throw away another season on Sack.

You earlier that there's definitely a rift between BB and Mac because he refused to endorse him in a press conference and there's a pretty good chance he gets traded.
Reread my OP and tell me where I said a “pretty good chance” he’s traded.

This is a played out scenario, nothing more. And a question on what his compensation would actually amount towards.

There’s clearly a very strong chance he’s back. But given the disaster this season was offensively, there’s no certainty on anything after a season like this. Obviously a good amount of that wasn’t Mac’s fault.

A 3rd is probably too rich.

Jimmy cost a 2nd round pick and he had nothing but upside.
Jimmy’s contract was also up that next offseason.

Jared Stidham.

Hopefully BB moves on at QB for 2023, but if Sack Jones is still around in 2023, I give him 4 games as Starter. 2 - 2 win loss and he keeps the job for another 4 games. The Patriots can't afford to throw away another season on Sack.
Stidham sucks. Pass

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back