PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Jackson does not come on in [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I know why people love Jackson

I see, so Jackson is on the six year plan? Jackson has had injury problems, and there has been SEVERAL reports out of Pats land that players and coaches are unhappy with him. Btw, Plexico has 66 receptions in his second year, and 78 in his third....both years over 1000 yards :rolleyes:

Dwayne Bowe having a great rookie season means nothing? Ok!

Yes, Bowe having a GOOD, not great, rookie season means nothing when you talk about the development of Jackson. Different teams. Different systems. Different routines in terms of watching film. You just want to take the situation in your perfect little vacuum and say they are the same. Guess what, they aren't in a vacuum and they aren't the same.

I suggest you look at the careers of guys like Jerry Rice, Terell Owens, Rod Smith, James Lofton, and Michael Irvin..

Just a random question: Is there any way to block an entire thread created by a poster? The poster has been blocked already, but I hate even seeing the thread titles.

What I love is that everything in Patsland must be about 100% certainty. Gawd.

It's about probability when you're dealing with "prospects" but this one has turned into a "project."

The team was WR-rich last year. No countsies. They stuck him in the crawl space under the stairs.

He did not contribute significantly two years ago, and had baditude.

And this year, the reports are he's a big dumb guy that doesn't get it... so far...

So yeah he has potential and lean muscle mass but is still not particularly impressive on the field. He has until the end of this year (if I'm not mistaken) under contract. And that will be that... unless the improbable happens.

But not the impossible. Who knows what (if anything) motivates CJ. But if Bill Belichick can't I'm not sure anybody in the NFL can. So here's hoping for a season to match his physique. Otherwise, here's hoping there's something open at the sausage and cheese cart outside of Macy's next year :) He makes it or he doesn't... point is, we do not know. Stop acting like we do.

See, it's all about the probabilities.

PFnV

You've watched, what? One pre-season game where Jackson had Cassel and Guterrez throwing to him and you claim he doesn't have "IT". Never mind that most WRs take years to develop, but Jackson had a huge set-back when his ACL was torn in the AFCCG against the Colts. Because it was so late in the 2006/2007 season, it basically killed his 2007/2008 season. If you think that Jackson doesn't have raw talent, then you've never actually seen him play and really should just stop ranting on and on about how he's a bust.

No, I have every right to call Jackson a bust, if you dont like it dont post in my threads. Your not objective anyway, so whats the point? Chad Jackson is a BUST. A workout warrior.

Last edited:

Just a random question: Is there any way to block an entire thread created by a poster? The poster has been blocked already, but I hate even seeing the thread titles.

Blocked by what? Are you really that much of a homer, that you cannot see a thread title?

Dwayne Bowe had no other help on the team and was immediately thrust into a starting situation. Big difference there meat head.

Yesterday I was warned for one of my posts....Yet this guy can call me a meat head, because he does not agree with my post. Great job mods, I see how things work.

Last edited:
Re: If Jackson does not come on in

It's pretty scary when a rookie 6th round pick (Slater), who never played WR, had a more productive game receiving than Jackson, same can be said for Ventrone (undrafted DB). At this point, unless he matures and takes football seriously, I don't think he makes it out of camp. It seems he can't comprehend the playbook after 3 years. It's time to cut your losses, admit a mistake, and move on. Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Washington, Slater, Ventrone & Aiken are probably ALL ahead of Chad Jackson at this moment. At least Bethel Johnson made it onto the playing field, contibuted in the return game, and seemed to know the playbook, Jackson gives you none of that. Goodbye Chad, your combine numbers made you millions, but determination, heart & preperation make a great football player, not combine numbers.

Truth...........

What flashes? Making a few nice catches, and scoring a few td's?

Good point. I mean, since when are catching passes and scoring TD's the measure of a wide receiver anyways?

It's pretty scary when a rookie 6th round pick (Slater), who never played WR, had a more productive game receiving than Jackson, same can be said for Ventrone (undrafted DB). At this point, unless he matures and takes football seriously, I don't think he makes it out of camp. It seems he can't comprehend the playbook after 3 years. It's time to cut your losses, admit a mistake, and move on. Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Washington, Slater, Ventrone & Aiken are probably ALL ahead of Chad Jackson at this moment. At least Bethel Johnson made it onto the playing field, contibuted in the return game, and seemed to know the playbook, Jackson gives you none of that. Goodbye Chad, your combine numbers made you millions, but determination, heart & preperation make a great football player, not combine numbers.

I think youve hit the nail on the had right there .. from what i've read about camp he was even screwing up rotres TB was under center for. People having this pipe dream that this guy will become some sort of Moss part II are going to be sadly mistaken

I am beginning to think Jackson may be the bastard offspring of Josh McDaniels and Reche Caldwell. The irrational hate for this guy is off the charts.

The guy did show some flashes as a rookie. Last year was a wash season because he was coming of an ACL tear (anyone expecting anything from him last year were foolish). This is his first training camp and preseason of his NFL career.

Yes, the guy has been a disapointment so far in his career. But it is too early to write him off. To expect him to be a stud WR at this point is very, very optimistics. But is very realistic to believe the guy may have a chance to turn around his career at least a bit and become a decent back up at least. It is a make or break season for the guy no doubt. But the guy needs the chance to either make or break his Patriots career.

:confused::confused:
Dwayne Bowe had no other help on the team and was immediately thrust into a starting situation. Big difference there meat head.

The Pats had great depth and starters 2 years ago????:confused:

I am beginning to think Jackson may be the bastard offspring of Josh McDaniels and Reche Caldwell. The irrational hate for this guy is off the charts.

The guy did show some flashes as a rookie. Last year was a wash season because he was coming of an ACL tear (anyone expecting anything from him last year were foolish). This is his first training camp and preseason of his NFL career.

Yes, the guy has been a disapointment so far in his career. But it is too early to write him off. To expect him to be a stud WR at this point is very, very optimistics. But is very realistic to believe the guy may have a chance to turn around his career at least a bit and become a decent back up at least. It is a make or break season for the guy no doubt. But the guy needs the chance to either make or break his Patriots career.

too much time and bandwidth is wasted on this topic. let the season begin. please

I think youve hit the nail on the had right there .. from what i've read about camp he was even screwing up rotres TB was under center for. People having this pipe dream that this guy will become some sort of Moss part II are going to be sadly mistaken

I too, think that Scott has a point. But I think that Chad will get every opportunity to make the team. I want to see how he performs with Brady first. If he still struggles, well, then BB may have to make a tough decision.
Maybe our system is just not the right fit for him? I don't think that BB/Pioli will just cut him though. I think that they will try to trade him. He does have value, IMO. Like BB said, it's too early to make any decisions. We still have three more preseason games to go. :)
Let's relax and let this thing play out.

Last edited:

Jackson is who he is. If you're disappointed in him, blame BB. HE drafted him. People seem to think that the draft is a pure science, and just because we drafted this guy @ #2, he should be a great receiver. That's not the way it works. Gaffney anyone..? He was a #2 @ one point in his career and we picked him up as a street FA.

Things don't always go as planned....

Jackson showed great work ethic coming back from his ACL tear, he was practically ready to play for the start of last season, in which he only had about 6-7 months to rehab his knee. ACL tears take usually 9-12 months to fully recover, so seeing Chad work so hard, heal so fast, and be just about ready to play in 6 months is a testament to his work ethic. The Pats put him on pup, then took him off and barely played him out of -their- choice, not Chads, he wanted to play.

In his rookie year he scored 3 TDs thats the same as Stallworth scored all season last year, and Jackson barely played a handfull of games and plays because he didnt know the playbook and missed camp. He looked great when Brady was throwing him the ball, he made plays and scored. Wait till hes playing with Brady he will do fine, Cassel and Guitierrez are responsible for Chads bad 1st preseason game, they were so off target none of the WRs did anything.

I did not see that happen in camp. I did see TE Stupar get thrown outa the lineup by the coaches when he lined up wrong. Players make mistakes in camp, especially early in camp. Weeks to go before BB makes the final 53 cutdown. Let's see who improves and who doesn't.

It was a hot read of a blitz, and in this offense WR's are expected to read the defense for themselves post snap. Just like the QB - and hopefully reach the same conclusion. CJ had no idea what was going on behind him. What was (or wasn't) in front of him should have been his first clue.

It was a 5-step drop. The Ravens showed 5 at the line pre-snap and one dropped off. A DB blitzed and was picked up by a back...meaning 6 in protection and 5 rushers, with no defender coming free. If Cassel called for a hot receiver at the line, he certainly didn't use it. CJack made an inside move and could have taken a quick inside throw but that didn't happen. So at this point, CJack and Cassel are on the same page.

The DB stayed on CJack's outside shoulder with his eyes on the QB. At 10+ yards downfield, things go bad. Cassel expects a stop, curl or fade route (I can't tell which). The DB was in perfect position to stop all of those routes but was not prepared to cover deep (his head was in the backfield). CJack read this and continued down the seam.

Nobody knows what the route should have been, but to say CJack should have read the defense and ended up where Cassel threw the ball makes little sense. Now CJack may have taken a route option that wasn't there (meaning he should have run a 10 yard stop route regardless of what the defense showed). If that is the case, then he was wrong because he didn't run the right play. Hearing a play called in the huddle or at the line and running a different play is pretty dumb, but that is a far different situation than misreading the defense on an option route.

Regardless, that was an awful decision and pass by Cassel. He threw falling away from the line and the pressure wasn't extreme (don't even think he got hit on the play). That spot on the field, the 22 yard line on the left numbers, was covered regardless of the route run by the receiver. It was 1st and 10 so there was no down/distance urgency. He stared down a covered receiver and missed an open Watson on a crossing route (a much easier throw by the way).

I don't know where CJack should have been and neither do you. I do know that Cassel should never have thrown that ball. Pinning that interception on CJack (as Cassel seemed to be doing in his post-game statement) does not match with what can be seen upon review.

His combine stats, and his physique. When the kid walks on to the field, people see a ripped, athletic, specimen. I wish people could admit that aside from his combine stats, the reason they think he is going to be a great player, is because he is a physical freak. What has he done that would lead you to believe that he is going to be a game breaker?

So he's either a game breaker or a bust?

I think if he gets over his mental mistakes, he could be what is "par" out of a 2nd round pick "a contributor." Probably the 3rd WR and something like 30-40 catches a year. Every pick (and even UDFAs) you HOPE are "game breakers" but you never expect that, and should not consider it "par" for the pick. Even trading up, a pick in the 30s is still a pick in the 30s.

What's the league average contribution from a pick in the mid 30's? That is, what percentage of players taken between 32 and say 40 make it as starters, backups/contributors, etc.?

Things like "they were excited enough about him to trade up" is too subjective and based on "press reports" which by now we should know what to do with.

In my view Jackson (like Cassel, and even Maroney) suffers mostly from the "we all thought he was going to be THE ONE when he got here." Instead, they are just "typical" of where they were picked.

Maybe you want chad jackson to be a superstar because you want belichick to have finally drafted a consistently good receiver. Maybe next year.

I guess some of us watch alternate feeds...from the replay thread analysis

Box O Rocks said:
Watching the Cassel interception: For what it's worth, Randy Cross is saying the route "should have been snapped off." Cassel took a 3 step drop, set and fired a frozen rope like he expected Jackson to stop. FWIW, the other receivers in the pattern all appear to be breaking their routes off at the same depth as the interception occurred - it's not looking good for Chad. On the positive side, he did appear to be the only open option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back