PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Damien Harris continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll have to wait for next year to see if this guy is different from the others.

Too many times we've seen guys have a great first year in the lead RB role, only to be a shell of themselves the next year.

This applied to Antowain Smith, Corey Dillon, Stevan Ridley, Sony Michel
This guy looks more durable - like a little bowling ball with knives..

I like Harris but can people chill with the Michel hate it's like some of you are acting like he didn't have 11 touches for 140 yards in the game before he went on IR. Why the hell wouldn't you want to also use a guy that could have a game like.

Has Harris or Burkhead had 140 yards in a game this year? And before you say it was the raiders, Michel is the only RB this year to have 100+ yards rushing against them. He actually had more rushing yards against them 6 of the other 9 teams had total against them
Actually it was 9 touches for 117 yards, against Seattle he was 7 touches for 19 yards, against Miami 10 for 37 yards....in his 3 games played.

Harris was 22 for 121 against baltimore with a 5.5 average..14 for 71 against Jets for 5.1 average, and 16 for 102 against Buffalo for 6.4 average...A much better and more consistent stat line.....But more importantly it is plain to see the kid runs much harder, hit the hole with power and falls forward, unlike Sony who gets one armed at the line, I don't need to see any more from either runner to know, Sony is mediocre, Harris could be something special.

How much of Sony's struggles, though, was due to the fact that there were few tendencies as predictable as the Pats running with Michel on the field?

It's a fair point but even Harris is averaging 3.8 yards after contact in order to average 5.5 yards per run. So Harris is also seeing contact relatively early, it's just that Harris makes a lot more after hitting the first defender.

Agreed. Some people have to hate on Sony in order to lift up Harris. No idea why. We can use both. Harris looks better but Sony is still good. Just like we can use Myers and Harry.
We could use Harry, but he wants to be paid but not play. I don't think Harry is any good so who cares. Leave it for Bill to handle.

Harris is the real deal and he’s only going to get better as this team builds talent. 43% of his carries have been against 8 man fronts and he’s still producing. No other rb has had more than 34%.

I think the Patriots struck gold.

Actually it was 9 touches for 117 yards, against Seattle he was 7 touches for 19 yards, against Miami 10 for 37 yards....in his 3 games played.

Harris was 22 for 121 against baltimore with a 5.5 average..14 for 71 against Jets for 5.1 average, and 16 for 102 against Buffalo for 6.4 average...A much better and more consistent stat line.....But more importantly it is plain to see the kid runs much harder, hit the hole with power and falls forward, unlike Sony who gets one armed at the line, I don't need to see any more from either runner to know, Sony is mediocre, Harris could be something special.

Right, you've got the stats to support it but in this case even the 'eye test' is clear as day, Harris is a much different runner than Michel.

I think Harris can still produce when the other team stacks the box. That's kind of what the Ravens were doing the other night.

Not even Blount at his best here could do that. He was easily shut down against a stout run defense.

He’s frustrating because sometimes you just want him to pick a hole and go. With Harris you could see from his first preseason game that he just doesn’t hesitate. He just . . . goes upfield most of the time.
I one peeve about Harris is that there are times when he should be patient and look outside instead of diving up the middle.. There was one play in the last game that he had the entire right side of the field open and , instead, he tried to go up the middle.. Instead of a 10-15 yard gain, he got 3. Otherwise, I think he does a great job. Just with the Pats would use him and Sony in the passing game. Both can catch the ball.

If I ahve to choose, I would rather have White back than Burkhead. I would certainly be fine with all of them coming back.,
The Pats have something that they haven't had in ages. Depth at RB. Next year, they have Harris, Michel, Taylor, and Bolden under contract. It's unlikely that they'll resign BOTH Burkhead and White. I was actually surprised that the Pats didn't trade one of them at the deadline with Burkhead turning 30 and White will be 29 in February.

This offensive line combination of Wynn, onwenu, Andrews, mason and thuney is absolutely fantastic at run blocking. Plus, even though he can’t catch or move much, izzo has been way better than advertised as a blocker.

Add in a hard runner like Harris, who finishes with authority and that makes for some special running plays in the week to come!

Izzo is 10 of 16 with 2 drops and has been perfect the last 4 games.

That is not how it works. Harris got a chance and ran with it. It is on Sony to show some fight and gain his starter role back.
Harris got time because Sony got injured and then on the Covid list. Sony had a helluva game when he had Wynn, Onwenu, Thuney, Mason and Herron blocking for him. If Harris was playing and Sony was healthy, your statement would have merit.

Actually it was 9 touches for 117 yards,

The 11 touches is receiving and rushing. 11 touches 140 yards. Does receiving not count anymore? Or is that only used to knock Michel? Because Harris despite playing over double the snaps that Michel has only has 3 more yards receiving.

If Harris was playing and Sony was healthy, your statement would have merit.

It doesn't matter if he was healthy or not when Harris got hot. It didn't matter for Bledsoe and it won't matter for Sony.

The way back into a more equal share of snaps for Sony will be to deliver on the field when given a chance.

Last edited:
Yeah, I will admit, Harris is doing better than I expected. I don't think he has star upside, but he's just good enough to start and not mess up, which is fine for a 3rd round RB. If he ends up being as good as Blount, pre-injury Ridley, or BGE, that's good enough for us.

I'm still hoping Michel can reclaim the starting spot, though. He's a 1st round pick, and one incredible postseason run isn't really enough to justify that selection.

Yeah, I will admit, Harris is doing better than I expected. I don't think he has star upside, but he's just good enough to start and not mess up, which is fine for a 3rd round RB. If he ends up being as good as Blount, pre-injury Ridley, or BGE, that's good enough for us.

I'm still hoping Michel can reclaim the starting spot, though. He's a 1st round pick, and one incredible postseason run isn't really enough to justify that selection.

I don't get this at all. Harris is clearly already better than Michel. Stop getting hung up on where they were drafted. Meyers is way better than NKeal Harry. Harris has averaged over 5ypc in every game he's played. Edelman was a 7th round pick. Brady was a 6th round pick. JC Jackson was undrafted.

I like Harris but can people chill with the Michel hate it's like some of you are acting like he didn't have 11 touches for 140 yards in the game before he went on IR. Why the hell wouldn't you want to also use a guy that could have a game like.

Has Harris or Burkhead had 140 yards in a game this year? And before you say it was the raiders, Michel is the only RB this year to have 100+ yards rushing against them. He actually had more rushing yards against them than 6 of the other 9 teams had total against them

because it seems to be a tradition around here to pick 1 or 2 Patriot players and just relentlessly trash every aspect about their game and wish them off the team...

The idea of cutting Michel is idiotic, and anyone who thinks they should... well i guess we know what category they fall into

because it seems to be a tradition around here to pick 1 or 2 Patriot players and just relentlessly trash every aspect about their game and wish them off the team...

The idea of cutting Michel is idiotic, and anyone who thinks they should... well i guess we know what category they fall into
I don't want him cut but he doesn't deserve any praise. He isn't a good player and he was a bad pick. The guy deserves the negativity he gets IMO.

It just occurred to me we haven’t seen JJ Taylor in weeks. Where’s the little guy at? Hopeful to see some bigger leads so they are more comfortable rotating him in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST