PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Damien Harris continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want him cut but he doesn't deserve any praise. He isn't a good player and he was a bad pick. The guy deserves the negativity he gets IMO.

Yea it appears Damien Harris certainly has more upside (so far, he still doesnt have that many games under his belt of consistent performance), but Sony has had solid production at times and had a great rookie year. So i think its tough to make the argument that he was a bad pick since he directly helped us win a SB, but he certainly leaves a lot to be desired

He had an outstanding game right before going on IR, so while he hasnt lived up to his 1st round status, he still deserves a spot on the roster as depth

Loving Harris and the way he runs. He's a keeper, for sure. I want to see what Michel will do when he gets back. He gets way too much hate here, particularly after his playoff rookie run.

For the first time in a long time, I'm seeing a Patriots' OL winning the trench war decisively. That wasn't true for previous years, as they were more focused on pass blocking. now they're just eating DL (and second level) for lunch.

Harris can make something out of nothing. Michel can make something more out of something.

And I still think that JM needs to use Michel and Harris more in catching the ball. Harris is really smooth with it and he kills people in the open field.

The blocking is 2020 is substantially better than it was in 2019. Seriously, I don't know how anyone who follows the Pats and understands basic football concepts doesn't recognize this. Newhouse at left tackle, Karras at center, Ferentz filling in at guard, Shaq Mason and Cannon playing hurt in 2019. This year's TE's may not be great, but for the first third of the season in 2019 they didn't have a healthy TE... seriously, go look at the snap counts. They played without TE's, and then their FB Develin got hurt, then Jakob Johnson got hurt.

The blocking in 2019 was an abomination, it was atrocious. The blocking in 2020 is among the best in the league... by season's end health provided the Patriots will probably have the best O-Line in the NFL.

Posters/fans here say they understand how blocking affects production, they say they understand how football is won in the trenches... then they make blanket statements about Sony (weapons) that show they have no clue at all. It's fantasy football nonsense. This problem is pervasive among many/most fans. They say they understand the importance of line play, then judge weapons in a vacuum.

The last game Sony played in 2020 he had nine carries for 117 yards, in 2018 he led the entire NFL postseason in rushing yards, yards per carry and TD's.... every stat possible. He ran them to a Super Bowl victory. Had he played a full slate of 16 games in 2018 he would have had roughly around 1217 yards which would have given him the 4th most rushing yards in the NFL.

Sony coming off injury was good to hold off, plus he only has another year on his contract and when time comes to negotiate he'd better understand the Patriots have options. Fans also will still hem and haw about Sony's draft status, he's making 1.3 million dollars and can step in and play whenever they need him. BB doesn't hire guys because he hopes they can win fan approval or get voted to the pro bowl. They needed a RB in 2018 with Dion Lewis leaving, they got one who could start and pass block like a pro for a 41 year old QB out of the box. Many other RB's like Nick Chubb were outright poor pass blockers leaving college, the Pats didn't have time to wait... they were in "win now" mode. Sony was a great draft pick, so was Harris... you need more than one. You keep a stable of these guys because RB's get hurt.

RB's won't produce without good blocking and the threat of the pass, WR's won't produce without good passing and blocking. It's really simple.

I'm still hoping Michel can reclaim the starting spot, though. He's a 1st round pick, and one incredible postseason run isn't really enough to justify that selection.

I never understood -- and most probably never will understand -- this entire "he is a first round pick" logic around Michel.

Yes, he was picked in the same round as someone like Barkley but that is mostly a technicality. Anyone who thinks the label means the same for those two players needs to be committed.

The reality is that the Pats needed a RB in 2018 and they chose one at #31 who essentially was able to start right away. As a rookie (!!). In contrast Harris -- and many RB picks before him -- had an entire redshirt year before the coaching staff was comfortable enough to put them on the field.

Being able to step in right away makes him a fine (not a bust, not bad, not great but fine) pick at #31 for me. If someone wants to do the math with those silly draft value boards and figure out how many points one more year of potential production is worth go ahead.

Last edited:
Yea it appears Damien Harris certainly has more upside (so far, he still doesnt have that many games under his belt of consistent performance), but Sony has had solid production at times and had a great rookie year. So i think its tough to make the argument that he was a bad pick since he directly helped us win a SB, but he certainly leaves a lot to be desired

He had an outstanding game right before going on IR, so while he hasnt lived up to his 1st round status, he still deserves a spot on the roster as depth
I am all for keeping him as depth in case Harris gets banged up as he seems to have had some injuries. I also wouldn't mind if he just ends up as a healthy scratch at this point because frankly I don't want him on the field as he is not better than any of the tree running backs who have been playing.

Damien Harris came off IR and James White came back from breavement.
Yeah I realize he’s obviously down on the depth chart but you’d think he would have seen a few snaps over the course of a few weeks. Unsure if he was active or not though.

...They needed a RB in 2018 with Dion Lewis leaving, they got one who could start and pass block like a pro for a 41 year old QB out of the box. Many other RB's like Nick Chubb were outright poor pass blockers leaving college, the Pats didn't have time to wait... they were in "win now" mode. Sony was a great draft pick, so was Harris... you need more than one. You keep a stable of these guys because RB's get hurt.

RB's won't produce without good blocking and the threat of the pass, WR's won't produce without good passing and blocking. It's really simple.
Soreknee was NOT a "great draft pick." He was a Bad pick then, and is an even WORSE pick now...Not as stupefyingly, franchise-killing bad as Kneal Harry & SloJuan Willie vs AJ Brown & DK Metcalf, but still Bad nonetheless.

Yeah I realize he’s obviously down on the depth chart but you’d think he would have seen a few snaps over the course of a few weeks. Unsure if he was active or not though.
Kid Dy-no-mite has the Foxborough Flu, and will continue to have it I wager until another RB gets injured...

Soreknee was NOT a "great draft pick." He was a Bad pick then, and is an even WORSE pick now...Not as stupefyingly, franchise-killing bad as Kneal Harry & SloJuan Willie vs AJ Brown & DK Metcalf, but still Bad nonetheless.
You say everyone is bad. You said Isaiah Wynn was bad and he destroyed Baltimore last week.

#OneNoteWonder

As others have said, "Soreknee" Michel is brilliant.

It doesn't matter if he was healthy or not when Harris got hot. It didn't matter for Bledsoe and it won't matter for Sony.

The way back into a more equal share of snaps for Sony will be to deliver on the field when given a chance.
So you take ONE instance that happened 19 years ago and think it's automatically applicable to this situation?

I'm not saying that Sony will automatically be the starter, but your statement has zero merit at this point because that's not how it's worked in the past with BB outside of the one time with Bledsoe. And even that has been espoused upon. BB has said that Brady had all but beaten out Bledsoe in TC and that the main reason they went with Bledsoe was the contract they'd given him.

Your statements like this are as idiotic now as when you first made them. These sorts of claims are why you have ZERO credibility

Last edited:
Taylor has been inactive the past 2 games despite Michel being injured. And he saw ZERO snaps in the last game he was active for.

The blocking is 2020 is substantially better than it was in 2019. Seriously, I don't know how anyone who follows the Pats and understands basic football concepts doesn't recognize this. Newhouse at left tackle, Karras at center, Ferentz filling in at guard, Shaq Mason and Cannon playing hurt in 2019. This year's TE's may not be great, but for the first third of the season in 2019 they didn't have a healthy TE... seriously, go look at the snap counts. They played without TE's, and then their FB Develin got hurt, then Jakob Johnson got hurt.

The blocking in 2019 was an abomination, it was atrocious. The blocking in 2020 is among the best in the league... by season's end health provided the Patriots will probably have the best O-Line in the NFL.

Posters/fans here say they understand how blocking affects production, they say they understand how football is won in the trenches... then they make blanket statements about Sony (weapons) that show they have no clue at all. It's fantasy football nonsense. This problem is pervasive among many/most fans. They say they understand the importance of line play, then judge weapons in a vacuum.

The last game Sony played in 2020 he had nine carries for 117 yards, in 2018 he led the entire NFL postseason in rushing yards, yards per carry and TD's.... every stat possible. He ran them to a Super Bowl victory. Had he played a full slate of 16 games in 2018 he would have had roughly around 1217 yards which would have given him the 4th most rushing yards in the NFL.

Sony coming off injury was good to hold off, plus he only has another year on his contract and when time comes to negotiate he'd better understand the Patriots have options. Fans also will still hem and haw about Sony's draft status, he's making 1.3 million dollars and can step in and play whenever they need him. BB doesn't hire guys because he hopes they can win fan approval or get voted to the pro bowl. They needed a RB in 2018 with Dion Lewis leaving, they got one who could start and pass block like a pro for a 41 year old QB out of the box. Many other RB's like Nick Chubb were outright poor pass blockers leaving college, the Pats didn't have time to wait... they were in "win now" mode. Sony was a great draft pick, so was Harris... you need more than one. You keep a stable of these guys because RB's get hurt.

It's both. The blocking is far far better this year than last year. But also...it's evident from watching the games that Harris gets extra yards after contact that Sony never got. Harris is better, but a huge part of the overall team rushing improvement is much improved blocking. Both are true.

The Pats have something that they haven't had in ages. Depth at RB. Next year, they have Harris, Michel, Taylor, and Bolden under contract. It's unlikely that they'll resign BOTH Burkhead and White. I was actually surprised that the Pats didn't trade one of them at the deadline with Burkhead turning 30 and White will be 29 in February.
we'll see
We are a running team. I'm fine with keeping both White and Burkhead.
As you pointed out Taylor isn't even good enough to be active while Sony is out injured.

IMO, if we don't sign both Burkhead and White, we'll draft a RB, or at very least sign a veteran bakcup.

Sony was so immense in the 2018 playoff run that it amazes me how quickly so many have turned on him. He clearly does not look like a star but he was absolutely critical in winning that Super Bowl. If my memory is correct he had nearly 100 yards and multiple TD's against the Chargers in the first half of that win. Had that absolute must have huge 4th and 1 TD run against the Chiefs then probably had the most important run in Patriots history when he broke away for a 26 yarder with the Pats facing 2nd and long from their own 5 in the waning minutes of the Super Bowl. I guess the fact he struggled last year wipes that all out for some.

The 11 touches is receiving and rushing. 11 touches 140 yards. Does receiving not count anymore? Or is that only used to knock Michel? Because Harris despite playing over double the snaps that Michel has only has 3 more yards receiving.
Probably due to the fact that Harris was gashing the defenses he played on the ground, and he has only been featured in three games, whereas Sony has been nonexistent in the passing game for years.

Probably due to the fact that Harris was gashing the defenses he played on the ground, and he has only been featured in three games, whereas Sony has been nonexistent in the passing game for years.
This is patently false.. While Michel isn't James White, he DID have 12 receptions last year on 20 targets. He did have 3 drops.

Claiming that Sony has been "non-existant" says you aren't actually paying attention. Sony has also shown he's a competent blocker in the passing game. Again, not James White or Kevin Faulk, but also not a turnstile that would get a QB killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST