PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If and when Cam Newton is named starter and captain, you will......

With newton this team is going nowhere. The bills will be tough again. Frankly i prefer the rookie. Let him get his feet wet. He’s ready.

I like Mac too. But it's going to be bumpy. Why rush it. Play him next season. The kid took 4 sacks in like 14 minutes of play. He's still processing what NFL defenses do. He's taking hits. I know he's going to work hard and also learn fast. I don't see a reason to rush the kid. His body also isn't fully there. He's straining to put everything he has into throws. Let his body grow stronger for a year.

So you have X-ray vision into player's helmets now?

This "weak arm" meme is "weak sauce".

Look at his throws. He's putting everything he has into the throws. He is young and will get stronger. He could stand to benefit from working with Tom House and also strengthening his lower body on his throws. Let his body develop for a year. Why throw him into the deep end now. This team is set up pretty good this season to play good defense and 2TE ball-control offense with Cam until Cam plays himself out of the job.

Look at his throws. He's putting everything he has into the throws.
You, nor anyone else, has any ability to state "how much he's putting into his throws" by watching on TV. What evidence do you have? Do you have a radar gun, access to his throw force meter results, and other empirical data to make such a claim?

He has thrown multiple types of throws in the preseason. Long, short, fast, touch. There is no evidence, for example multiple interceptions or even pass break-ups, indicating a weak arm unable to make the throw say on the out route which is a great indicator that a QB doesnt have an NFL level arm.

No - he doesn't have the mega cannon of guys like Allen, but he is absolutely able to make all the NFL level throws as demonstrated by his preseason so far.

Second sentence is key. Belichick is GOING for it this year. This is not a rebuild year. He spent a ton of cash in the off-season. This is not some 3-year plan back to ring#7. For this reason, I don't think he's going to ride a rookie QB all the way to a Superbowl win. He's going to see if he can win with Cam. Cam does not have a lot of rope. If it's not working out the first 6 weeks then he's going to do what's best for the team. But Option 1,2,3 is first make it work with Cam Newton. There's also zero chance he's going to allow a Brady vs Mac storyline in week4 when they play the Bucs.

He can’t win with cam.
“going for it” doesn’t entail accepting you have the worst player in the league at the most important position.

Oh and he spent it because he had it to spend, just like he does every year with what he has.

Look at his throws. He's putting everything he has into the throws. He is young and will get stronger. He could stand to benefit from working with Tom House and also strengthening his lower body on his throws. Let his body develop for a year. Why throw him into the deep end now. This team is set up pretty good this season to play good defense and 2TE ball-control offense with Cam until Cam plays himself out of the job.
Cam played himself out of the job last year.

You, nor anyone else, has any ability to state "how much he's putting into his throws" by watching on TV. What evidence do you have? Do you have a radar gun, access to his throw force meter results, and other empirical data to make such a claim?

He has thrown multiple types of throws in the preseason. Long, short, fast, touch. There is no evidence, for example multiple interceptions or even pass break-ups, indicating a weak arm unable to make the throw say on the out route which is a great indicator that a QB doesnt have an NFL level arm.

No - he doesn't have the mega cannon of guys like Allen, but he is absolutely able to make all the NFL level throws as demonstrated by his preseason so far.
Funny, someone is touting newton using throwing motion.

Cam throws the ball funny and can't arc it at all. Why doesn't he get a throwing coach during all these offseasons? Brady used to have one even after he accrued more rings than any other player.

He is too busy dancing to rap music.

:whistle:

I didn't say Mac can't make all the throws. Don't get your panties in a bunch. I've previously posted he's one of the best deep ball throwers and extremely underrated as a lethal deep ball thrower. But at the same time he's a rookie and his physical build can get stronger. He took 4 sacks last game trying to process the field. And look at his mechanics right now. I don't see the point of rushing the kid, and also nobody has given a good case why if the Patriots are trying to win a ring right now, why going with a rookie QB is the way to go. I don't want a RG3 reason, a Herbert season, or even a Big Ben season, those aren't good enough. Don't see the harm of waiting a year and seeing if Cam can get it done. There are good comps of league-best QBs who sat a year first and then played awesome (Brady, Mahomes, Brees, Rodgers), there are a ton of examples of rookie QBs who got bad habits or got messed up playing too soon.

Now, if the Pats end up trading away Gilmore, I think the whole thing changes. At that point they should also think about Hightower and McCourty. Because the team isn't winning a ring without Gilmore on the roster. So if they start taking key pieces out, then fine do a rebuild year but then start turning vets into draft capital and let Mac take his bumps. But I don't think they're doing this. They just spent a boatload of offseason money and are GOING FOR IT, this year.

Last edited:
Shave my head and become a Krishna, then go to the airport

It would be extremely disappointing if he's named the starter.

. I don't want a RG3 reason, a Herbert season, or even a Big Ben season, those aren't good enough.
Big Ben went 15-1 and lost one game shy of the Super Bowl. I think your standards might be too high.

If you really think Cam increases our chances of a Super Bowl over a 15-1 season and a loss in the AFC Championship Game you may want to think about switching your medication to something that’ll let you operate heavy machinery.

If you really think Cam increases our chances of a Super Bowl over a

The difference is some here can't mentally believe Cam can ever be a Superbowl winning QB. Last year had so many things impacting the season. I don't think Cam last year is the player he can be. This team didn't spend hundreds of millions of offseason dollars to go play a rookie QB for 17 games. Belichick is going to be on a mission to win it all, knowing full well the BB/Brady narrative totally changed 7 months ago when Brady did the impossible last year.

airplane GIF

The difference is some here can't mentally believe Cam can ever be a Superbowl winning QB. Last year had so many things impacting the season. I don't think Cam last year is the player he can be. This team didn't spend hundreds of millions of offseason dollars to go play a rookie QB for 17 games. Belichick is going to be on a mission to win it all, knowing full well the BB/Brady narrative totally changed 7 months ago when Brady did the impossible last year.

Right, but they also built a solid defense, offensive line and running back corp. so that it could be very friendly for a rookie quarterback. If that wasn’t the biggest hole in this team, I don’t think they would have drafted one at 15.

At the start of the season, I think Cam would be ok as a QB. I also think Mac would be ok. The difference is I think Mac can get better than that over a season.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back