PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts; "We have met the enemy and he is us"

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
3. On our running game's part, I think Josh needs to rethink some of his OL blocking schemes as the year ends. We run what we being told is a "power running attack", but the OL blocking looks just like what I ran in the 70's and 80's which was the Delaware Wing-T OL blocking system which featured a lot of double teams with pulling G's. Block downs with G's or FB kick outs, etc. Well I think with all successful systems in the NFL, teams are starting to catch up with it by plugging the pulling G gaps and committing a S to the run. I recall one run where we were thrown for a loss when the pulling G was forced so deep he ran into the RB and the play was blown up. On the other hand on Stevenson's longest gain right at the end of the first half for 13 yds looked like they blocked it just man on man almost like a zone blocking scheme. It wasn't like there was a huge hole, but neither was there any leakage behind the LOS, so with a soft edge, Stevenson could do what he does best and maneuver in tight spaces and pick up positive yds. Just something to think about.
The Bills certainly had figured it out by the end of the Monday night game. Milano blew up 2-3 plays by shooting that gap. Colts had that film.

Coaching had two defenders who at best are in position to stop it for a 5-6 yard gain at a time when they desperately need to get the ball back on downs to have a chance to tie or win the game. The play was a loser for the Pats even before Taylor cut it back and went the distance.

The Pats gave up 17 points (not counting the FG after the 2nd Jones’ INT as well as the blocked punt) to a team who’s QB completed 5 passes for 57 yards. You all made fun of the Bills giving up 14 to a team that threw 3 passes 2 weeks before. Defending the run is as much a problem for the Pats than it is for the Bills against a team that can and WILL run the ball.

Let’s stop pretending the run defense isn’t a problem. Let’s stop using aggregate YPC figures when it’s been preached to us for 20 years that football is a game of situations. When the situation calls for stopping an offense from gaining on the ground 10 yards on 3 or 4 downs this Patriots defense can’t do it. Couldn’t do it against the Dolphins week 1, against the Saints week 3 or last night against the Colts.

Bentley is Gary Guyton or Monty Beisel 2.0.
Godchaux is Bobby Hamilton from the crappy 2002 run defense.

Right, so they sold out for a stop at the lint and had no second level if he popped through.
Football is all about risk/reward.
If he even gets to the second level, the game is still over. An 8 yard run would have had the same effect as a 67 yard run.

Interesting comments from Mac postgame about not having a great week of practice which reminded me of when Brady mentioned something similar in 2001 and a few veterans "encouraged" him to speak out when this happens. The rationale being that he is the QB and that is a natural position of leadership and he needs to be more vocal regardless of his seniority. I'm basing this off memory and I'm curious if any reporters will follow up on Wednesday to ask him how he and the team responds to situations like this and what he thinks he can do better going forward.
I doubt we would get a Big Ben answer like "its' not my job...."

The title of this article is comes from Walt Kelly an astute and cutting political satirist back on Earth Day in 1971. It was a twist on a famous quote from Commandant Matthew Perry after his victory over the British in the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812. "We have met the enemy and they are ours" he messaged future President (for a very short time) General William Henry Harrision. (sorry but I WAS a History teacher). Kelly twisted that famous message to reflect the state of the Ecology long before Global Warming was a thought in the public mind.

Well I can be short and sweet with this one, We shot ourselves in the foot OVER and OVER and OVER again all night long. In the end they Pats aided and abetted a tough and well prepared Colts team and handed this game on a silver platter to the fans we hate the most (after the Jets of course, Joker).

Disclaimer =. I decided to mask ir up and try and make some money playing poker down at Foxwoods today and then head over to the sports book, have dinner and watch the game there. I was so pissed off at the first half that I left and decided to take my winnings and head home so I wouldn't still be writing this at 3 in the morning. BTW- the cheddar bacon burger stack was worth the overpricing. But because of this missed the first 10 minutes of the 3rd Quarter while I was out of radio range. So I had to piece together a bunch of stuff (Like Mac's 2nd pick from the stats). Sorry about that

So getting back to my old friend Pogo's quote, it fit the entire first half to a tee. Two drives were stalled by penalties, One by a dropped ball by Meyers, who will likely still be muttering to himself on Wednesday about this pass. We had a first down on the Colt 30 only to be called back on the Mason penalty Then we had a 2nd and one inside the 15. Then the Smith penalty, followed by a pick. All I know is that we constantly stopped ourselves from scoring on all but one drive (IIRC) in that first half. And then there was the catastrophic blocked punt.

When you think about it football is kind of easy. Over our 2-4 rocky start, we were -3 in our TO ratio. I don't know exactly what our TO ratio was during the 7 game wining streak, but I'm pretty sure it was PLUS double digits. I think the Bills game when our TO ratio was 0 was the only game in that streak where we didn't have a plus TO ratio. Well we were minus 2 tonight and gave up a TD to boot. Once you give up a TD to the defense or ST's your chances of winning the game drops to around 10%. We also, according to the radio, had a few chances at more picks of Wentz that could have and should have gone our way asl well. I can almost hear Bill's presser even though I missed it. "they simply made more big plays and fewer mistakes than we did." Right?

1. The defense; I expected the Colts to run the ball relatively successfully early in the game, and I felt that by the middle of the 2nd quarter to the that last long run when we were running desperation defenses the Pats did a really good job. I was actually surprised that prior to his TD run Taylor had "only" run for 103 yds and the Colts offense to 180 total yds AT home, IN a dome. And even with that run they gave up only 270 TOTAL yds. You'd take that number all day every day. So the defense did what it has for the last 8 games and gotten better as the game goes on and they get to see what the opposing offenses have planned for them. I really expected a tougher challenge from the Colts. I won't mind in the least seeing them again if they. make it to the playoffs.

2. Jonathan Taylor needs his own comment. He really is that good. Holding him to 100 yds would have been great outcome. So with that very good OL, you are never going to stop this kid clean. What I felt he did so well was to find the creases from tackle to tackle, and I do mean CREASE because these weren't gaping holes he was running through for the most part. So while he is quick and strong at the point of attack to go along with a very good OL, I think it is his vision and decision making that set him apart. I didn't see him miss a hole all game (the part I actually watched.) And he was good after first contact as well.

3. On our running game's part, I think Josh needs to rethink some of his OL blocking schemes as the year ends. We run what we being told is a "power running attack", but the OL blocking looks just like what I ran in the 70's and 80's which was the Delaware Wing-T OL blocking system which featured a lot of double teams with pulling G's. Block downs with G's or FB kick outs, etc. Well I think with all successful systems in the NFL, teams are starting to catch up with it by plugging the pulling G gaps and committing a S to the run. I recall one run where we were thrown for a loss when the pulling G was forced so deep he ran into the RB and the play was blown up. On the other hand on Stevenson's longest gain right at the end of the first half for 13 yds looked like they blocked it just man on man almost like a zone blocking scheme. It wasn't like there was a huge hole, but neither was there any leakage behind the LOS, so with a soft edge, Stevenson could do what he does best and maneuver in tight spaces and pick up positive yds. Just something to think about.

4. On the blocked punt - Even in HS, your up backs in whatever punt protection you run, are ALWAYS told to step UP to meet a man coming into your area. What happened in this case, the up back (Davis?) never did step up, he just met the rusher where he aligned and the rusher pushed him back a step and got to his inside and he cleanly took the ball right off of Bailey's foot. This wasn't helped by the glacially slow punt action by Bailey and the rest is history

Now I don't know if this is just me, but I was kind of pissed that the guy who happen to pick up the ball and go into the end zone did nothing but pick up the ball without a Patriot within 30 yards of him, got lauded like he discovered penicillin, meanwhile the guy who actually DID the heavy lifting and blocked the punt was treated like an afterthought by both the announcers AND to some respects by his teammates. This kid made the play of the night. I hope he at LEAST got a game ball.

b. Now if THAT was the only special teams error of the night, this game STILL might have ended on a positive note. The offside on the missed FG was ANOTHER 3 points that could have changed the course of this game. Think about it, that was 10 points that ST's teams gave to the Colts. That's a horrendous result for ANY team, but it's double for a team that devotes so many resources and time to special teams.

5. On Mac Jones - Well what did we learn about Mac Jones today, because that is the eternal question when it comes to our rookie QB. I thought several things.

a. On the first pick, he made a rookie mistake. If you look at the endzone replay, when he realized what he did, he slapped the sides of his helmet so hard I was surprised he didn't give himself a concussion. Here's what he needed to do. He DID pick the right guy to go to. If he had held on to the ball another half second, Henry would have cleared the MLB's zone and they would have completed the pass. It was as simple as that.

Now I don't know if Brady was great at moving defenders with his eyes early in his career, but I DO know that he was GREAT at it for at least his last 15 years in NE. Mac HAS occasionally done this successfully, but sometimes he hasn't. This was one of those time he didn't do it and it cost him.

I didn't see what happened on the 2nd pick. Maybe someone can fill me in.

b. Can he bring his team back from a 2 or 3 score deficit to win a game, well no because that didn't happen. But he DID move the ball well enough during this game to keep his team in the game right until Taylor's long run. and the answer to that question is trending to the positive if not there yet.

c. But the most important question that WAS answered that we didn't know was how would Jones react to adversity. Now being down 20-0 with 2 picks is about as adverse as you can get and yet he managed to get his team back to 20-17 and was 2 plays away from getting the. ball back with about 1:20 left and needing just a FG to tie the game up. I think we can now say that Mac Jones handles adversity quite well, thank you very much.

d. I've been saying over and over about how Mac IS a good athlete and has the speed and short area quickness to be more elusive than the stick in the mud he is supposed to be. His 12 yd scamper maybe showed just a hint of what might be, and I don't think he was running full speed. Again though his sack showed that his instincts are not where his athletic potential is, though I will keep on harping on this. I've already thought of a few drills he can do in the off season to help him on this.

6. Jaime Collins made his biggest contribution to the defense in the this game since he came back to the team. He's slowly getting back to the strong cover LB he's shown to be over the years with a tip that led to a pick and unfortunately a drop. I think he brings more depth and flexibility to a defense that has a LOT that already.

7. Matthew Judon - Bedard has opined that maybe Judon is hitting his own wall as his hurries and QB hits have gone down the last few games. He also thought that the Fisher/Judon match up favored Judon and would be a key to this game. I fully agreed. Well it didn't turn out that way. Judon only had 2 solo tackles, and just 5 altogether, to go along with no hurries or QB hits. Now granted Wentz only attempted 12 passes (AT home, IN a dome) but Judon didn't have much of an impact. So maybe he IS hitting a wall. He's played a LOT of snaps for a DE/OLB early in the season. Something to consider.

8. File this under "back to the bad old days". The Pats were flagged for 8 penalties for 50 yds, most of which REALLY hurt. ON the other hand, the Colts got flagged for just 2 for just 13 yds. BTW- I saw about 3 OBVIOUS calls in the first half alone on the Colts. 2 holding calls and an OPI on a long ball that was. overthrown on a 3rd down, and would have been declined, but still no flag came out. On the other hand all the penalties that the Pats got were deserved IMHO, so there really isn't any complaints with the officials overall This WAS a tough road venue (as most domes are) and they simply didn't handle it as well as they should have.

9. Are they REALLY paying Carson Wentz $35MM/yr? Seems like that's a bit of an overpay. (sarcasm if you didn't get it) Given his OL and Running game, you'd think they could do better. I can tell you that Zo HATES him. Outdoors, in January, like I said earlier, I'd LOVE our chances in a rematch.

10. So if you can help me and fill in some of the blanks with YOUR comments and criticisms I'd appreciate it. And below you will find the actual comic that was referenced in the title. For those of you old enough to remember Pogo, a bit of nostalgia, For those too young, learn what subtle political satire looks like.

Hey a 2AM finish.

View attachment 39029
You lost me at "Earth Day" and "Global Warming." Sigh.

If he even gets to the second level, the game is still over. An 8 yard run would have had the same effect as a 67 yard run.
They had the play stopped close to the LOS which he is behind in the pic. They didn’t “sell out”. There is no universe where a defensive call is for the S to wait to see if the LB makes the tackle. He flowed to ball carrier and got picked by an unfortunate angle taken by the LB. Then, Taylor just more athletic than our aging MLB. Not our biggest problem, but I suspect will be addressed next year.

Last edited:
You lost me at "Earth Day" and "Global Warming." Sigh.
If your remark wasn't so sad, I would have taken it as a complement given who made it.

only reason he played was because Roger wanted to appease the owners and further punish the Patriots
I don't think they'll say or indicate that truth in a broadcast. But remember, Roger was surrounded by co-conspirators, including officials, reporters, Ravens, Colts and the higher courts.
So getting back to my old friend Pogo's quote, it fit the entire first half to a tee.
Thanks. Totally appropriate.

The Pats beat themselves.

Bourne on the Covid list. Let's hope Harry and Agholor are OK.

Speaking of Harry, this was quite a catch:

Bourne on the Covid list. Let's hope Harry and Agholor are OK.

Speaking of Harry, this was quite a catch:

It's beyond me why they don't try a few of those throws in the red-zone. Not a deep post, but a jump-ball.

I get fades/jump-balls are low percentage plays because its one read and done, and if that one read doesn't work, the play is DOA.

That said, Harry is so uniquely talented in that regard and is successful on a very high percentage of those jump-ball, 50-50 plays, it only seems to make sense to attempt more of those in the red-area. Points are at a premium, Mac has a knack for lofted/touch throws, the red-zone offense hasn't been particularly successful as is, and the field gets compressed.

Give Harry, Jonnu, or Hunter a few chances to go up and beat someone 1-on-1 in the endzone.

I didn't really learn much from this game, but I did get a few suspicions confirmed. Most of these suspicions, including some re the Head Coach, were negative. I won't elaborate: we are all painfully familiar with the list of this year's disappointments. The positive suspicion bears upon Mac. I think he is indeed capable of achieving mediocrity. I think "he can play in this league." (heh heh) I am keenly aware this might is likely damning with faint praise, but that's as positive a spin as I can conjure out of the wretched experience of having watched this wretched game.

As for cartoons, if I were to choose a comic strip through which to rummage for comparables, it would be Zippy the Pinhead.
iu

Last edited:
I didn't really learn much from this game, but I did get a few suspicions confirmed. Most of these suspicions, including some re the Head Coach, were negative. I won't elaborate: we are all painfully familiar with the list of this year's disappointments. The positive suspicion bears upon Mac. I think he is indeed capable of achieving mediocrity. I think "he can play in this league." (heh heh) I am keenly aware this might is likely damning with faint praise, but that's as positive a spin as I can conjure out of the wretched experience of having watched this wretched game.

As for cartoons, if I were to choose a comic strip through which to rummage for comparables, it would be Zippy the Pinhead.
iu
I have only two serious disappointments this year: QB play and injuries.

We have 15-20 on the injury list PLUS those on IR. We played a game with our top 4 CB's out. We have played several games missing 2-4 OL's.

Yes, I am those that thought that if we had reasonable health for the year, and a bit of luck, that we might have made the playoffs.

And I do understand how hard it is to trade for an OT. It would have been a desparation move to trade a 2nd or 3rd pick for a below average solid veteran. But, I think that is what was needed at the end of camp.

I have only two serious disappointments this year: QB play and injuries.

We have 15-20 on the injury list PLUS those on IR. We played a game with our top 4 CB's out. We have played several games missing 2-4 OL's.

Yes, I am those that thought that if we had reasonable health for the year, and a bit of luck, that we might have made the playoffs.

And I do understand how hard it is to trade for an OT. It would have been a desparation move to trade a 2nd or 3rd pick for a below average solid veteran. But, I think that is what was needed at the end of camp.
I understand your disappointment re Mac and injuries, but to me, maybe looking at it all a little more broadly, the greatest disappointment has been Bill's work as GM over the past few years. It was aready a matter of concern, of course, so one's "disappointment" is somewhat mitigated by one's low expectations, but if I reframe the question, "What is the team's most urgent problem and task," that would be firing the GM and getting a new one..

I understand your disappointment re Mac and injuries, but to me, maybe looking at it all a little more broadly, the greatest disappointment has been Bill's work as GM over the past few years. It was aready a matter of concern, of course, so one's "disappointment" is somewhat mitigated by one's low expectations, but if I reframe the question, "What is the team's most urgent problem and task," that would be firing the GM and getting a new one..

I think many on here think I/we want Bill fired as some kind punishment or consequence. This isn’t true. If Bill changed his ways then I would be fine keeping him around. The problem is his decisions have become increasingly irrational and it seems he’s doubling down. Of all the off-seasons, this was the worst with the Jakobi, JJSS and Parker decisions, among other blunders. He needs to go because he’s continuing to make foolish contrarian decisions. He had a very, very long rope in 2020.

In addition I think there’s a real problem with keeping him because he’s the GM and coach. Limiting his responsibilities is a bad concept given his need for control. He would need to stay in the dual role, and the biggest problem is that he’s the coach and the locker room is blown up. These guys have seen the team go in the wrong direction for four years and I don’t think they’re going to buy in again.

I think many on here think I/we want Bill fired as some kind punishment or consequence. This isn’t true. If Bill changed his ways then I would be fine keeping him around. The problem is his decisions have become increasingly irrational and it seems he’s doubling down. Of all the off-seasons, this was the worst with the Jakobi, JJSS and Parker decisions, among other blunders. He needs to go because he’s continuing to make foolish contrarian decisions. He had a very, very long rope in 2020.

In addition I think there’s a real problem with keeping him because he’s the GM and coach. Limiting his responsibilities is a bad concept given his need for control. He would need to stay in the dual role, and the biggest problem is that he’s the coach and the locker room is blown up. These guys have seen the team go in the wrong direction for four years and I don’t think they’re going to buy in again.
Yep. I get zero satisfaction out of criticizing Bill. I am sure he's miserable, going through a very painful time. There are few things more painful than firing a older employee who is failing at his job. I have fired a few people, but never an old guy. It must be awful. I worked in an office once as a technical writer, and they set about firing an older employee who was no longer at all carrying his weight. They took away his office and stuffed him in a three-man cubicle, generally hassled him about stuff. It was awful. I left before he did, in part because of this, but - to be honest - mostly because I thought it would be more fun to be a hippy ne'er-do-well than a desk-bound technical writer, and darned if I wasn't right!

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back