PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the ugly win edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I guess if adversity builds character, well the Pats had plenty of adversity this week (like myself, but more on that later) and in the end, wound up going into the bye week with 4 straight wins and a 6-2 record that NO one is happy with. The mediots won't be happy with it. The fans certainly aren't. And when you listen to the players and coaches, neither are they.

Anyone looking at the stats would have thought the Pats would have had an easy time in this game and won it going away. And they would have IF, Gotskowski had made just one of his 2 misses. IF Brady and the offense were better than 1-4 in the Red Zone, and IF the defense hadn't allowed an 87 yd TD run that looked more like a 2 yd loss starting out.

So I get it, no one is happy at 6-2. No one is happy that the offense looks inconsistent. That the defense is beat up and not "looking the part" of a championship defense, even though their point totals certainly are. So while we "celebrate" Joey Bosa having the most Sacks though his first 2 games. :rolleyes: Lets start to break down what happen, or rather ask the questions that made us so irritable after an 8 point win against a good team coming off a 3 game win streak.

AGAIN - I feel the need to point out that there are NO style points given in the NFL. You are what your record says you are, and currently there is only one other team who has a better record than the Pats. But that isn't going to satisfy anyone so let the B!tching begin, ;)

1. The OFFENSE;

a. General thoughts - I think the game plan going into this game was to create an offense that would allow Brady to get rid of the ball quickly and to slowly bleed the Chargers to the death of a thousand cuts and that's pretty much what they did. Even though the point total didn't show it, the Pats ran 78 plays to the Chargers 51 and had a 37-23 time of possession differential

b. Bill has long said that the amount of yards you run that ball is LESS important that the number of times you run it. So the Pats runners accumulated a respectable yet very unspectacular 100 yds in rushing. The key element was that they rushed in 31 times.

c. QB- Brady came out hot, cooled off in the middle of the game and finally made the key throws that put the Chargers chance of winning in the miracle category at the end of the game. Hard to watch this game and look at the 333 yd total passing yards and 68% completion rate, and compute those numbers. Brady never look ed fluid, the offense rarely looked in sync, yet somehow those numbers came into being in a game Brady seemed pretty pissed off at himself at his presser.

Where Brady excelled was in maneuvering inside the pocket. He garnered tons of time doing this, yet it seemed so rare that it ended up resulting in any big plays. THAT is I'd like one of the questions I need the film review team answer this week. Brady usually kills teams that allow him second and third looks down the field. That didn't happen today.

d. OL- Brady dropped back 47 times was sacked 3 times but one came on a well designed blitz that Brady missed. One was after he bought himself 5 or 6 seconds and still couldn't find anyone, and the Sack by Bosa who made a nice rush. It happens. Their guys are good too.

It needs to be brought out that Nate Solder had is best game of the year. Between him, Cannon and Waddle, they pretty much neutralized the top 2 run threats in the league. Brady consistenly had room to step up in the pocket, so we have to assume the interior 3 were also doing a good job. The very fact that the Chargers felt the need to blitz as much as they did, even with 2 of the best rushers in the game, shows just how good a job the OL was doing in this game.

BTW- has anyone in the league done LESS to pick up a 10 yd penalty than Nate Solder. The block in the back penalty he got today was even worse than the phantom holding call he got last week. Even the Charger announcers were embarrassed. That being said, I thought Morrelli's group did a pretty good job today. I just have to wonder why in a game, where the officials seemed to be calling only the worst calls, they had to make one up vs Solder.

e. RB's. It's really an embarrassment of riches back there. White was the leading receiver. Burkhead flashed again as both a runner and receiver. Gillislee got all the yards he was presented with, and Lewis led all runners and had the longest gain of the day.

That's the good news. I have to make 2 comments. No one hates negative runs more than BB. Today, as well as he played, Lewis had 3 or 4 of these negative runs. Gillislee has been spectacularly unspectacular this year, but when HE runs the ball, we aren't starting the next play 2nd and 12 or 14. Don't be surprised if Lewis loses some snaps next time because of it, because it didn't happen just once or twice.

One more comment comes to mind. I would really like when the Pats go into a heavy run formation that OCCASIONALLY they threw a dump off to Devlin, who has good hands. He'd be open every time. Not much imagination by Josh there.
f. Receivers - 5 for 25 is NOT what we brought Brandon Cooks here for. Zero comeback routes, zero back shoulder routes, and the only deep rout he ran was the flea flicker where HE had to be the DB. No criticism to Cooks himself, just how he was used in this game.

Gronk simply had a bad day. He dropped 2 big pass plays during this game and he was another one of those guys I was wondering about when Brady was buying all that time. This is when Gronk gets open despite getting manhandled down field.

Hog an was good again. I wouldn't be surprised if had to miss sometime after that hit on his shoulder. I just hope it isn't something that is long term.

Finally I find it odd that in a game where getting it out quick was a priority, our 2 "quick" receivers (DA, and Cooks) did very little.

Last comment on the offense - the old defensive adage that all you have to do is make the offense run a lot of plays on a drive and they will eventually screw up does NOT seem to apply to the Pats. They might not have ended in TDs, but almost EVERY drive the Pats ran, they were piling up 10+ plays. No other team in the league is both as patient and successful at putting together long . Its been a staple of BB's offenses throughout his time here.

2. Defense -drives

a. General comments

The Charger's first series seemed to set the tone in this game. No incompletions. No pass rush. No points. :eek: No defense could have looked less impressive, yet had the good results the Pats have had this week in all the important stats. Check them out. Points (13) - 3rd down conversions - 30% While at the same time allowing over 150 yds rushing on only 21 attempts. Like most of this game the actual number didn't seem to compute with what we saw with our eyes.

b. Was it just me or did the Charger's NOT convert on most of their 3rd and short downs.

c. I really need to know how the f*ck that 87 yd run happened. I thought the front 7 strung it out pretty well, and even when the RB sprung around the corner, I was expecting another 7 yd gain. Where were the safeties, and how did they wind up 10 yds behind the play chasing Gordon Down

That is a big error to have that kind of scoring play and we need to know how it happened, so get on it film revue team.

Blue smoke and mirrors could be the best description of today's defensive game. It was never pretty, but it was always effective. When you are missing 4 of 11 starters it usually doesn't bode well.

c. Front 7- Not much of a pass rush for most of this game, however it DID seem to get a lot better in the 4th quarter. There was a LOT of pressure in that quarter. Another solid game by Van Noy. The rest of the LB's were more hit and miss. But David Harris showed up and flashed on a few plays, particularly on a pass rush where be blew up Gordon and helped force the 20 yd fumble/sack. I thought overall the DL was "solid". No much pass rush for the first 3 quarters, but I felt they were doing THEIR job vs the run.

d. Secondary - There seemed to be a lot of last minute talking among the Defense all during the game, but evidently it was positive since there weren't any big plays from SD, like we saw so often in the KC and Carolina games. Unsung here in my opinion was Patrick Chung. Hunter Henry came into the game as the next Gronk, and was held to 2 catches for 11 yds and was no factor in the game. Chung also made a few big tackles to create those 3rd and shorts.

Butler was up and down. His attempt to knock the ball out from Gordon was a GREAT hustle play, and so indicative of what we've come to expect from Malcolm. On the other hand he looked dazed, confused and badly beaten on the TD pass to Allen that closed the gap in the 4th. The Chargers had a few open men against zone coverage, but in those times where they were in man to man, the secondary was VERY competitive.

Don't be one of those who want to blame every secondary fault on Gilmore. Believe me, they will be much better when he and Rowe get back. Badamosi has been OK, but there is a reason he's never had a regular role in any secondary to this point. Good Patriots' coaching has gotten the most out of him, but Gilmore will make this much better.

3. Special teams - I know a lot will be made of the 2 Gotskowski misses, but overall all the special teams units were SPECTACULAR. KO coverage constantly put the Charger offense inside the 20. Punt coverage was even better, and Allen bounced back with a huge day. It was his kick, deep and toward the sidelines that set up the safety. Also we shouldn't overlook that excellent punt returns by DA. He was always making positive yards on those returns. (except for the one penalty that took a great return away)

4. Watching some of the highlights from today's game reinforces one of the key things that this team is missing and those are Turn Overs. Other teams seem to be getting tons of them, and they sure make the game a lot easier on both sides of the ball. The Pats never seem to have short fields on offense, and the D rarely turns the ball over to save scores or create those short fields. What small effect we do get all seem to come from special teams in the way of FG blocks, and run backs. There was a nice one by Lewis today that was wasted between Brady and Gotskowski

Usually the Pats have over a +10 by this time. I don't know what it is, but it's not close to that. It is very fortunate that the Pats offense doesn't allow many turnovers (IIRC, 3 so far), so they aren't being killed by them in a negative sense. It's just that they are CREATING many and those are the plays that make a grind out win into an easy game.

4. A few comments for around the league:

a. If I were a Jets fan, I'd be really proud of my team. In true Patriots fashion, they are good example of a team that is better than the sum of their individual parts. It's been a great coaching job, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised when they fire him at the end of the season.

b. I'm even happy to see the Bills doing well. It has been a really long time for those fans to be under our thumbs. I'm also happy to see the entire AFCE doing fairly well, I'm frankly tired of hearing the mediots tearing it down. It was NEVER as bad as it was being reported.

c. My personal rant. - On Wednesday I underwent vascular bypass surgery. Basically they are supposed to take about an 18" vein from by left leg and put it in my right leg thus creating blood flow so I could now walk more than 100 yds without limping. To explain it I would tell someone, I can walk 100 yds like a 19 year old. the next 100 yds like a 90 year old, and after that I'd need to sit down to go forward again.

Well all this was supposed to solve that problem. Sort of like a good plumbing job. Well the good news is that it worked. I now have 1 healthy pulse in my leg. The bad news is that they did some nerve damage to the foot, so I now have no feeling in the foot. So I am currently limping around like I have a slab of cement at the end of my leg. I can no longer drive, so I've lost my independence, and to make matters worse, I evidently developed some nerve damage to my neck while at the hospital, so now the worse of the pain isn't coming from the 80 odd staples from the incisions, but from the neck pain. :eek:

You'd like to think that when you enter a hospital, you come out better for the experience. And while I can say that has been my experience on several occasions. This isn't one of them. So if I seemed a little irritable in today's post, now you understand why.

OK rant over. Now what would make me really happy is a good football discussion coming out of this post.

Spend a few minutes with those loser Bills fans, and you'll change your mind about their success. The most underrated spygate/deflategate bleating fanbase of all.

I think most would take a 6-2 record considering how they started. Second half of the schedule will be challenging. Need our offense to play better.

Not sure I see the jets the same way you do. They are 3-5 and beat cutler, bottles and the browns.
I see very few wins left on their schedule.
I see a top 5 pick and a new coaching staff heading their way.

That's the good news. I have to make 2 comments. No one hates negative runs more than BB. Today, as well as he played, Lewis had 3 or 4 of these negative runs. Gillislee has been spectacularly unspectacular this year, but when HE runs the ball, we aren't starting the next play 2nd and 12 or 14. Don't be surprised if Lewis loses some snaps next time because of it, because it didn't happen just once or twice.

I feel at least two of those negative runs were on the O line, it seemed the whole D line was in the backfield on the snap

Butler was up and down. His attempt to knock the ball out from Gordon was a GREAT hustle play, and so indicative of what we've come to expect from Malcolm. On the other hand he looked dazed, confused and badly beaten on the TD pass to Allen that closed the gap in the 4th. The Chargers had a few open men against zone coverage, but in those times where they were in man to man, the secondary was VERY competitive.

It looked like Butler tried the jam the receiver at the line and more or less whiffed and it was too close to the end zone for him to make up the space.

I thought the broadcast team did better than last time. They must have gotten a lot of email from pats fans.

The Pats have been moving the ball, I just think when they are ahead in 2nd half that they have their minds on running down the clock . They are not the aggressive team they were in the past. Dropped passes, penalties and sacks in the red zone and no JE. I think this came about due to the slow start of the defense this year. Trying to shorten the game.

Boston media.....what is the Pats record now?......1-7? seems like. Every postgame starts with "if" the other team had done this, or if they didn't drop pass or played smarter.... Before the game its always this will be the test, and then after the other team sucked that's why the Pats won.

Now its Denver, that will be the "real " test, you know if they win it will be Siemian sucks. If they beat Pitt it will be ..."well they always beat them" ditto the Bills...

I guess if adversity builds character, well the Pats had plenty of adversity this week (like myself, but more on that later) and in the end, wound up going into the bye week with 4 straight wins and a 6-2 record that NO one is happy with. The mediots won't be happy with it. The fans certainly aren't. And when you listen to the players and coaches, neither are they.

Anyone looking at the stats would have thought the Pats would have had an easy time in this game and won it going away. And they would have IF, Gotskowski had made just one of his 2 misses. IF Brady and the offense were better than 1-4 in the Red Zone, and IF the defense hadn't allowed an 87 yd TD run that looked more like a 2 yd loss starting out.

So I get it, no one is happy at 6-2. No one is happy that the offense looks inconsistent. That the defense is beat up and not "looking the part" of a championship defense, even though their point totals certainly are. So while we "celebrate" Joey Bosa having the most Sacks though his first 2 games. :rolleyes: Lets start to break down what happen, or rather ask the questions that made us so irritable after an 8 point win against a good team coming off a 3 game win streak.

AGAIN - I feel the need to point out that there are NO style points given in the NFL. You are what your record says you are, and currently there is only one other team who has a better record than the Pats. But that isn't going to satisfy anyone so let the B!tching begin, ;)

1. The OFFENSE;

a. General thoughts - I think the game plan going into this game was to create an offense that would allow Brady to get rid of the ball quickly and to slowly bleed the Chargers to the death of a thousand cuts and that's pretty much what they did. Even though the point total didn't show it, the Pats ran 78 plays to the Chargers 51 and had a 37-23 time of possession differential

b. Bill has long said that the amount of yards you run that ball is LESS important that the number of times you run it. So the Pats runners accumulated a respectable yet very unspectacular 100 yds in rushing. The key element was that they rushed in 31 times.

c. QB- Brady came out hot, cooled off in the middle of the game and finally made the key throws that put the Chargers chance of winning in the miracle category at the end of the game. Hard to watch this game and look at the 333 yd total passing yards and 68% completion rate, and compute those numbers. Brady never look ed fluid, the offense rarely looked in sync, yet somehow those numbers came into being in a game Brady seemed pretty pissed off at himself at his presser.

Where Brady excelled was in maneuvering inside the pocket. He garnered tons of time doing this, yet it seemed so rare that it ended up resulting in any big plays. THAT is I'd like one of the questions I need the film review team answer this week. Brady usually kills teams that allow him second and third looks down the field. That didn't happen today.

d. OL- Brady dropped back 47 times was sacked 3 times but one came on a well designed blitz that Brady missed. One was after he bought himself 5 or 6 seconds and still couldn't find anyone, and the Sack by Bosa who made a nice rush. It happens. Their guys are good too.

It needs to be brought out that Nate Solder had is best game of the year. Between him, Cannon and Waddle, they pretty much neutralized the top 2 run threats in the league. Brady consistenly had room to step up in the pocket, so we have to assume the interior 3 were also doing a good job. The very fact that the Chargers felt the need to blitz as much as they did, even with 2 of the best rushers in the game, shows just how good a job the OL was doing in this game.

BTW- has anyone in the league done LESS to pick up a 10 yd penalty than Nate Solder. The block in the back penalty he got today was even worse than the phantom holding call he got last week. Even the Charger announcers were embarrassed. That being said, I thought Morrelli's group did a pretty good job today. I just have to wonder why in a game, where the officials seemed to be calling only the worst calls, they had to make one up vs Solder.

e. RB's. It's really an embarrassment of riches back there. White was the leading receiver. Burkhead flashed again as both a runner and receiver. Gillislee got all the yards he was presented with, and Lewis led all runners and had the longest gain of the day.

One more comment comes to mind. I would really like when the Pats go into a heavy run formation that OCCASIONALLY they threw a dump off to Devlin, who has good hands. He'd be open every time. Not much imagination by Josh there.
f. Receivers - 5 for 25 is NOT what we brought Brandon Cooks here for. Zero comeback routes, zero back shoulder routes, and the only deep rout he ran was the flea flicker where HE had to be the DB. No criticism to Cooks himself, just how he was used in this game.

Gronk simply had a bad day. He dropped 2 big pass plays during this game and he was another one of those guys I was wondering about when Brady was buying all that time. This is when Gronk gets open despite getting manhandled down field.

Hog an was good again. I wouldn't be surprised if had to miss sometime after that hit on his shoulder. I just hope it isn't something that is long term.

Finally I find it odd that in a game where getting it out quick was a priority, our 2 "quick" receivers (DA, and Cooks) did very little.

Last comment on the offense - the old defensive adage that all you have to do is make the offense run a lot of plays on a drive and they will eventually screw up does NOT seem to apply to the Pats. They might not have ended in TDs, but almost EVERY drive the Pats ran, they were piling up 10+ plays. No other team in the league is both as patient and successful at putting together long . Its been a staple of BB's offenses throughout his time here.

2. Defense -drives

a. General comments

The Charger's first series seemed to set the tone in this game. No incompletions. No pass rush. No points. :eek: No defense could have looked less impressive, yet had the good results the Pats have had this week in all the important stats. Check them out. Points (13) - 3rd down conversions - 30% While at the same time allowing over 150 yds rushing on only 21 attempts. Like most of this game the actual number didn't seem to compute with what we saw with our eyes.

b. Was it just me or did the Charger's NOT convert on most of their 3rd and short downs.

c. I really need to know how the f*ck that 87 yd run happened. I thought the front 7 strung it out pretty well, and even when the RB sprung around the corner, I was expecting another 7 yd gain. Where were the safeties, and how did they wind up 10 yds behind the play chasing Gordon Down

That is a big error to have that kind of scoring play and we need to know how it happened, so get on it film revue team.

Blue smoke and mirrors could be the best description of today's defensive game. It was never pretty, but it was always effective. When you are missing 4 of 11 starters it usually doesn't bode well.

c. Front 7- Not much of a pass rush for most of this game, however it DID seem to get a lot better in the 4th quarter. There was a LOT of pressure in that quarter. Another solid game by Van Noy. The rest of the LB's were more hit and miss. But David Harris showed up and flashed on a few plays, particularly on a pass rush where be blew up Gordon and helped force the 20 yd fumble/sack. I thought overall the DL was "solid". No much pass rush for the first 3 quarters, but I felt they were doing THEIR job vs the run.

d. Secondary - There seemed to be a lot of last minute talking among the Defense all during the game, but evidently it was positive since there weren't any big plays from SD, like we saw so often in the KC and Carolina games. Unsung here in my opinion was Patrick Chung. Hunter Henry came into the game as the next Gronk, and was held to 2 catches for 11 yds and was no factor in the game. Chung also made a few big tackles to create those 3rd and shorts.

Don't be one of those who want to blame every secondary fault on Gilmore. Believe me, they will be much better when he and Rowe get back. Badamosi has been OK, but there is a reason he's never had a regular role in any secondary to this point. Good Patriots' coaching has gotten the most out of him, but Gilmore will make this much better.

3. Special teams - I know a lot will be made of the 2 Gotskowski misses, but overall all the special teams units were SPECTACULAR. KO coverage constantly put the Charger offense inside the 20. Punt coverage was even better, and Allen bounced back with a huge day. It was his kick, deep and toward the sidelines that set up the safety. Also we shouldn't overlook that excellent punt returns by DA. He was always making positive yards on those returns. (except for the one penalty that took a great return away)

4. Watching some of the highlights from today's game reinforces one of the key things that this team is missing and those are Turn Overs. Other teams seem to be getting tons of them, and they sure make the game a lot easier on both sides of the ball. The Pats never seem to have short fields on offense, and the D rarely turns the ball over to save scores or create those short fields. What small effect we do get all seem to come from special teams in the way of FG blocks, and run backs. There was a nice one by Lewis today that was wasted between Brady and Gotskowski

Usually the Pats have over a +10 by this time. I don't know what it is, but it's not close to that. It is very fortunate that the Pats offense doesn't allow many turnovers (IIRC, 3 so far), so they aren't being killed by them in a negative sense. It's just that they are CREATING many and those are the plays that make a grind out win into an easy game.

4. A few comments for around the league:

a. If I were a Jets fan, I'd be really proud of my team. In true Patriots fashion, they are good example of a team that is better than the sum of their individual parts. It's been a great coaching job, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised when they fire him at the end of the season.

b. I'm even happy to see the Bills doing well. It has been a really long time for those fans to be under our thumbs. I'm also happy to see the entire AFCE doing fairly well, I'm frankly tired of hearing the mediots tearing it down. It was NEVER as bad as it was being reported.

c. My personal rant. - On Wednesday I underwent vascular bypass surgery. Basically they are supposed to take about an 18" vein from by left leg and put it in my right leg thus creating blood flow so I could now walk more than 100 yds without limping. To explain it I would tell someone, I can walk 100 yds like a 19 year old. the next 100 yds like a 90 year old, and after that I'd need to sit down to go forward again.

Well all this was supposed to solve that problem. Sort of like a good plumbing job. Well the good news is that it worked. I now have 1 healthy pulse in my leg. The bad news is that they did some nerve damage to the foot, so I now have no feeling in the foot. So I am currently limping around like I have a slab of cement at the end of my leg. I can no longer drive, so I've lost my independence, and to make matters worse, I evidently developed some nerve damage to my neck while at the hospital, so now the worse of the pain isn't coming from the 80 odd staples from the incisions, but from the neck pain. :eek:

You'd like to think that when you enter a hospital, you come out better for the experience. And while I can say that has been my experience on several occasions. This isn't one of them. So if I seemed a little irritable in today's post, now you understand why.

OK rant over. Now what would make me really happy is a good football discussion coming out of this post.

Good thing that 2003 was in 2003.

It would be fascinating to go back in time and see what exactly was going on during those weeks of close wins. I bet an exact repeat of 2003 would be complete torture to patsfans.com.

At some point, this site needs to figure out exactly what it wants.

The weekly style points quibble shows a fan base that's rather pampered.

The fans who are moaning about 'style points' and constantly trying to project post-season play based on what we see in week 8 should take some time to watch some of the games from 2001 and 2003.

Even looking just at the 2003 results would show them scores such as:

Patriots 0 Bills 31
Patriots 17 Redskins 20
Giants 6 Patriots 17
Browns 3 Patriots 9
Cowboys 0 Patriots 12
Dolphins 0 Patriots 12
Patriots 21 Jets 16

Some truly ugly looking scores there - yet 2003 was a SB winning year - and a season regarded as one of our more dominant during the dynasty.

Seasons are fluid - i'd like to think that the issues we have in week 8 (offensive (in)efficiency) is not the same problem as the ones we experienced in weeks 1-4 (speed bump defence).

The coaches are doing a great job keeping this team moving forward while parameters are ever changing - enjoy the games for what they are - wins!

A step closer to another post-season run - something we take for granted in the Belichick/Brady era.

1. This Chargers team is real easy to dislike in a hurry. Are OTAs for this franchise practicing the Lights out dance? Gronk drops what would have been a 50+ yard completion where he's beaten and Addae is posing. They literally did it on both sides of the ball after any positive play. I know it's done a lot around the league but they're extra obnoxious about it.

2. Sorry but the read zone issues are real.

TD%
2017 -50% 19th overall
2016 - 64% 10th
2015 - 65.55% 4th
2014- 62.34% 5th
2013- 58.11% 11th

3. A win is a win and give credit to the Chargers defense but they've struggled all year long in the red zone. On the one TD they finally ran play action out of the heavy package. More running when you spread them out and more play action out of the heavy will help.

4. I hope Hogan isn't long term. He's become Brady's most reliable weapon across any distance. You can say Cooks deep, Gronk seam, Dola short middle and White out of the backfield but Hogan is everywhere.

5. When people ***** about Bill trading for and bulking up on special teams remember this game. SD's ST's are awful. Even with Ghost missing two FGs this as a major difference in the game.

6. Benjamin is not a smart football player. He made so many bonehead plays. The safety, not getting out of bounds two minutes left, running out of bounds by two feet on a route. It's one thing if you're inches out but he was so clueless.

7. Ghost is amazing on kickoffs and how he's always placing the ball right at the GL with amazing hang time. Gives them the field position battle win almost single handedly. I've completely lost confidence in him for FGs and XPs however. I called his first miss. To be fair it was a momentum things where the offense wasted Lewis's return on three head scratching calls but I couldn't believe the 2nd one. Between Denver and Atlanta in the playoffs and a host of other misses at big times, AZ to not tie, I'm holding my breathe with him every time.

8. Credit to Scar and the OL. They have really stepped it up. The hits on Brady are a lot less frequent.

9. The DL minus the 87 yard TD likewise has been playing so well even with the injuries.

10. If Hogan is gone long term and Mitchell not coming back Dorsett is the next man up. He has all the athletic ability in the world but I have little faith he can give 75% of Hogan. I think it might be a week to week matchup who splits wide in that scenario. Against a smaller CB maybe put Gronk out there and have him box out a lot. Against an elite corner just have Dorsett run him long all day. Maybe one of the RBs against the taller CBs running in routes.

Great post as usual, sorry to hear about your health issues though, I share some of your problems.. a major issue is that Doctors do not agree on what to do, between bad knees and poor leg circulation can be a *****...

The Chargers D was more formidable than I was led to believe.. they have what seems to be a lot of pieces, even though not enamored with the coaching..

The Chargers O, needs work, a few pieces but not much synchronicity.. Rivers seems to have had that frown tattooed on his face..

From my big comfy couch Bademosi seems to have taken a step backward, perhaps reviewing game film showed some flaws.. Butler was good, but still looks a little off.. no big deal sending Gilmore home, concussions nothing to make light of.

Have not seen a snap count, but David Harris was obvious.. Roberts made some nice plays.

Brady used more receivers than usual, but the troubles in the red zone are concerning.. and can be fixed. Burkhart looked pretty good, as did all of the RB's...

Aside from Gostowski's misses, Special Teams were outstanding.. as a Pats fan have come more and more to appreciate that part of the game that is oft overlooked on other teams..

Hogan will be a big loss as he plays something like 90% of the offensive snaps.. not sure who will "step up".. the NFL war of attrition will continue..

The Pats had 82 O plays, the Chargers had 52.. a proven game plan..

Ken, I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune at the hospital and wish you the best, and hope you recover feeling in your foot.

On that stretch run that turned into the 87 yard gain (and expect other teams to run that at us a great deal) the culprit of course was Cassius Marsh who didn't set the edge but got sealed to the inside by the pulling guard. He still brings an one-gapping mentality to the edge (overcommitting to one side before the play develops). We've pretty much never had a stretch run that turned into a homerun because historically we had Vrabel, then Ninko, both of who were so good at sealing the edge which requires a two-gapping mindset when squaring up to the playside lineman.

Red zone & 3rd down needs work for sure.

Hope you get better Ken. Great analysis as always

Get well soon man. Keep in mind, nerve damage can take a while to recover from. I would suggest a round of steroids to help with that process. Also, what about physical therapy? Be safe

I would really like when the Pats go into a heavy run formation that OCCASIONALLY they threw a dump off to Devlin, who has good hands. He'd be open every time. Not much imagination by Josh there.

Have to save something for that crucial two-point conversion in the Super Bowl. ;)

Good thoughts your way on your health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye